Geddy's voice sounds just fine!

Superbaldguy

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Feb 3 2012, 05:22 PM)
I think this will be their last go around, and I will savor each show I attend, no matter where Ged's register is at.

This is what i have said all along . The Greatest singers lose something over 30 years, Halford, Dickinson, Tate ect. So what ? Enjoy because it will all be over before we know it

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Feb 15 2012, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 26 2011, 09:11 PM)
It can't be argued that he is singing in a lower pitch than he used to. These are quantifiable statements and are not subjective.

It is quantifiable. He's not singing in a lower pitch.

2112 aside, they don't downtune Free Will or Limelight or Red Barchetta or Vital Signs or Circumstances, or Working Man, or any of their songs, old or new. If he wasn't hitting the right pitches it would sound dissonant. And he sure isn't singing Limelight, for example, an octave lower. I agree it's different in enunciation and tone, but pitchwise he is spot-on as ever.

Fine, then pitch is the wrong word. But there is a massive difference between his voice now and his voice 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago. It's deeper, lower, a different tone, whatever you want to call it, it is measurably different than it used to be.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 16 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Feb 15 2012, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 26 2011, 09:11 PM)
It can't be argued that he is singing in a lower pitch than he used to. These are quantifiable statements and are not subjective.

It is quantifiable. He's not singing in a lower pitch.

2112 aside, they don't downtune Free Will or Limelight or Red Barchetta or Vital Signs or Circumstances, or Working Man, or any of their songs, old or new. If he wasn't hitting the right pitches it would sound dissonant. And he sure isn't singing Limelight, for example, an octave lower. I agree it's different in enunciation and tone, but pitchwise he is spot-on as ever.

Fine, then pitch is the wrong word. But there is a massive difference between his voice now and his voice 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago. It's deeper, lower, a different tone, whatever you want to call it, it is measurably different than it used to be.

Right, I see the change too, and it's getting worse. Barely, slowly, but surely. But, I think they'll improve from S&A to Clockwork Angels studio-wise. Caravan and BU2B's vocals are very powerful. It's a whole new singing style from Snakes and Arrows. It's like over enunciation - in a good way.

Continuing, l listened to 2112 from 1997 and then from this tour, and there was very little difference, apart from a bit more "yodeling" on the latter.

His tone still sounds great, and he can still hit the highs in songs like "2112", "Red Barchetta" , or "Lakeside Park".

• Like 2

Continuing, l listened to 2112 from 1997 and then from this tour, and there was very little difference, apart from a bit more "yodeling" on the latter.

His tone still sounds great, and he can still hit the highs in songs like "2112", "Red Barchetta" , or "Lakeside Park".

Yes Eel, I agree. Right good post. Don't forget Anthem. He can still bring the banshee.

Fine is a relative term especially when you have been a fan since 76'... :codger:

Exactly. When you were there to actually hear it in person when he was at the height of his good voice, the decline seems even more sad.

• Like 2

Fine is a relative term especially when you have been a fan since 76'... :codger:

Exactly. When you were there to actually hear it in person when he was at the height of his good voice, the decline seems even more sad.

It's not sad. To do what he's doing at his age is nothing more than a triumph. He's full of the same exact spirit as the lad who recorded those songs long ago.

Gimme more Geddy.

• Like 3

I keep reading about how awful Ged's vocals are on this latest classic DVD/CD (as much from other review sources as anywhere else); I am perfectly happy with his efforts and he actually has a lot of that old "banshee wait" left in him which identifies himself to this band's music. For those of you who do not like how the vocals came out, too bad - he still has it IMHO.

Rant over.

Let's keep enjoying this special talented trio and rock on through to 2012 where we ill be treated to yet another great album. (and subsequent tour!)

here here, I agree. I think he sounded great for R40. Haters need to just shut up & leave. Hope the guys never see the sh** people post about them!

:banghead:

• Like 1

It's not sad. To do what he's doing at his age is nothing more than a triumph. He's full of the same exact spirit as the lad who recorded those songs long ago.

Gimme more Geddy.

:yes: exactly

I like his yodel.

I keep reading about how awful Ged's vocals are on this latest classic DVD/CD (as much from other review sources as anywhere else); I am perfectly happy with his efforts and he actually has a lot of that old "banshee wait" left in him which identifies himself to this band's music. For those of you who do not like how the vocals came out, too bad - he still has it IMHO.

Rant over.

Let's keep enjoying this special talented trio and rock on through to 2012 where we ill be treated to yet another great album. (and subsequent tour!)

here here, I agree. I think he sounded great for R40. Haters need to just shut up & leave. Hope the guys never see the sh** people post about them!

I certainly don't want to cause or start any trouble here but if you have an opinion that is not completely positive or positive at all is that not ok? I love the band as much as anyone and have since 76' but I am gonna call it how I see it. No offense. Just wondering... :)
  • Like 1

Rant over.

I certainly don't want to cause or start any trouble here but if you have an opinion that is not completely positive or positive at all is that not ok? I love the band as much as anyone and have since 76' but I am gonna call it how I see it. No offense. Just wondering... :)

Yeah apparently having an actual opinion around here is too scary for some of the members to deal with.

• Like 1

Rant over.

Yeah apparently having an actual opinion around here is too scary for some of the members to deal with.

Indeed. Some of this stuff is beginning to annoy a bit. I don't mean it in a personal way toward anyone but just a general observation... :)
  • Like 2

Rant over.

Being objective about Lee's vocal performance is not hating. Having a different point of view to you is not hating.

Rush have a reputation for having fans who are more intelligent than most yet I see the exact opposite on this forum all the time. Exhorting people to leave the forum because they don't share your childlike adoration makes you appear needy and entitled and very immature. How about you just stop it?

• Like 1

Rant over.

Right on Narps. This forum is fast becoming a dangerous place for anyone who has a brain.

• Like 2

Rant over.

Right on Narps. This forum is fast becoming a dangerous place for anyone who has a brain.

I have just noticed over time that what is deemed to be negativity by the few is ruining things (or at least attempting to) for the many. Don't want to make this into a political discussion Lord knows but it's beginning to remind me of something. Could be my imagination but I think not... :sigh: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Rant over.

Right on Tony. :)

• Like 1