Geddy's voice sounds just fine!

Superbaldguy

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 30 2011, 05:03 PM)
I'll miss you if you go! sad.gif

I don't think I'll be leaving completely; I'm just going to be more selective about what threads I participate in and who I have discussions with. I'm not going to waste my time on people who find my opinions invalid. I can't do a DAMN THING about how late I became a fan or what personality I have, but I can assess when conflict is going to arise and avoid it.

Thanks for the support, it means a lot.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 30 2011, 10:41 PM)

I don't think I'll be leaving completely; I'm just going to be more selective about what threads I participate in and who I have discussions with. I'm not going to waste my time on people who find my opinions invalid. I can't do a DAMN THING about how late I became a fan or what personality I have, but I can assess when conflict is going to arise and avoid it.

It is pretty sad that "new" fans of any band have to feel less than worthy because they haven't been a fan for xx amount of years. The Iron Maiden forum is full of the same. Some of the so-called Maiden "experts" were putting down kids for wearing Maiden shirts because the bearer did not know anything of the Blaze Baily years or any of the less than popular Maiden tunes. Such people are not viewed as being "true fans." Really now... I think any band is proud of all of their fans whether they are new or old. I would even go so far as to guess that such bands strive to get new fans with each effort/outing. Heck, Maiden always make comments about how many new fans they see out on the road.

In a nutshell, your opinions are just as valid as any other fan's. Don't be discouraged by the narrow-minded. Rejoice and enjoy. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

this. not end of discussion rofl3.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 30 2011, 08:41 PM)

You are blowing that comment way out of proportion. Good lord.

And at the risk of making you upset eyesre4.gif, I'll just say that if your personality and opinions about anything haven't changed after 20 years, there's something deeply wrong with you. People change and evolve. It's the human condition.

Doesn't mean your opinions about anything are less valid than anyone else's. Again, blowing that comment way out of proportion.

To say that he can't sing is just silly. Does he have a lower pitch and change some of the melodies in songs to better fit his voice? Sure, but I personally do not see how that detracts from the music, I still think they sounds great and Geddy still rocks vocally

It is all a gross exaggeration of the severity of this whole conversation. Listen to the new live CD. He sounds great, hits the badass notes after the guitar solo in Freewill and sounds fantastic on the rest of the songs as well!

I have one criteria: does it sound as good as the other performances to me regardless of the changes. And to me that is a huge YES!

It is not denial, it is not anything but me simply enjoying these recent shows just as much as any other shows Rush has done

So my point is: Geddy still rocks. Nuff said 1022.gif

Edited by Analog_Bro

Okay serious, everyone please just shut the f**k up. This is starting to annoy me now, and i'm not normally one who gets annoyed.

Geddy's voice isn't deteorating MUCH, but it IS getting there, and it IS HIS voice that IS THE WEAK LINK.

He won't be able to do this in 5-7 years without sounding like Ozzy or Mick Jagger.

Face it, he's not singing like he used to.The longer you take to accept that, the more people are going to shove it down your throat.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 1 2011, 02:16 PM)
Okay serious, everyone please just shut the f**k up. This is starting to annoy me now, and i'm not normally one who gets annoyed.

Geddy's voice isn't deteorating MUCH, but it IS getting there, and it IS HIS voice that IS THE WEAK LINK.

He won't be able to do this in 5-7 years without sounding like Ozzy or Mick Jagger.

Face it, he's not singing like he used to.The longer you take to accept that, the more people are going to shove it down your throat.

There is no debate that his voice is not what it used to be...

However regarding it being the "weak link"... I totally disagree. Because weak link is entirely based on an individuals subjective opinion on what they view as weak or as an asset to the band

Geddy's voice may not be what is was but he still sounds really damn good and I consider it to be a strength of the band to have someone who can still do the songs justice vocally and instrumentally. And regarding the 5-7 year theory... well since Rash is the only one with a Time Machine there is no way we can tell that far ahead.

It has nothing to do with "accepting" it or not. It is all about respecting each other's opinions without telling each other to shut up

Edited by Analog_Bro

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 29 2011, 10:00 PM)
I think the real crux of the matter these days is whether one wants to spend their time debating with those who are critical of the changes going on in the band, or celebrate whatever they enjoyed about the band and/or still do. If you're in the latter camp, there are other places you're better served (sorry). I'm quickly realizing I fall into the latter category; I'm too conflict-averse for a lot of what's going on on this board (and not just the stuff about Rush; it's all getting way too personal). For me, the Facebook Rush groups have a lot more of my kind of vibe. I'm thinking that when I get busy with a second job this month and am forced to spend less time here, it may not be a bad thing. I'd think about pulling up stakes entirely if I didn't have a decent amount of time and interaction built up here.

It's tough for me as a new fan. I want to find others who get what I fell in love with a year and three months ago, but its proving more difficult than I thought. I never thought I'd have to come in and justify myself to the band's own fans.

Well said. I'm in a similar boat as you are. Thanks for putting this into words that I couldn't find for myself. smile.gif

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Dec 1 2011, 05:23 PM)

However regarding it being the "weak link"... I totally disagree. Because weak link is entirely based on an individuals subjective opinion on what they view as weak or as an asset to the band

Geddy's voice may not be what is was but he still sounds really damn good and I consider it to be a strength of the band to have someone who can still do the songs justice vocally and instrumentally. And regarding the 5-7 year theory... well since Rash is the only one with a Time Machine there is no way we can tell that far ahead.

It has nothing to do with "accepting" it or not. It is all about respecting each other's opinions without telling each other to shut up

I KNOW that i'm not the ONLY person here who is tired of this pointless bickering.

And to say that Geddy's voice ISN'T the weak link in the band, when you know, EVERYONE ELSE (Including his playing) is on FIRE right now. Kinda hard to believe that you can't see that.

His voice is the worst fairing out of anything.

Not to say that it is BAD. Just not as GOOD as it once was.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 1 2011, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Dec 1 2011, 05:23 PM)

I KNOW that i'm not the ONLY person here who is tired of this pointless bickering.

And to say that Geddy's voice ISN'T the weak link in the band, when you know, EVERYONE ELSE (Including his playing) is on FIRE right now. Kinda hard to believe that you can't see that.

His voice is the worst fairing out of anything.

Not to say that it is BAD. Just not as GOOD as it once was.

Well define "weak link".

As far as my subjective listening goes everything is still going strong in the band, none of the links are "weak".

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Dec 1 2011, 08:00 PM)
Well define "weak link".

Wait, you're actually pulling the Clinton "defense"? For real?

As far as my subjective listening goes everything is still going strong in the band, none of the links are "weak".

Well, let's see here:

Geddy, Alex, and Neil are all still playing at the top of their game.

Geddy's vocal range has decreased.

Which of these elements is weaker than the others? Even if you don't think that his voice is weak as a voice, he's still incapable of the kind of stuff that he was doing even as late as Vapor Trails, while all of the band's other aspects are just as strong as they ever were. How do you not get this?

Rush fanboys scare and bewilder me in equal measure.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Dec 1 2011, 10:19 PM)
Well define "weak link".

Well, let's see here:

Which of these elements is weaker than the others? Even if you don't think that his voice is weak as a voice, he's still incapable of the kind of stuff that he was doing even as late as Vapor Trails, while all of the band's other aspects are just as strong as they ever were. How do you not get this?

People are entitled to like how Geddy's voice sounds now, to enjoy it as much as or more than they've enjoyed any other phase of his craft, and thus not consider it a weak link regardless of how it compares to the way Geddy used to sound. This doesn't make them stupid or wrong, and doesn't make "inarguably different" automatically equate to "objectively worse."

People who can't accept that scare and bewilder ME.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 1 2011, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Dec 1 2011, 10:19 PM)
Well define "weak link".

Well, let's see here:

People are entitled to like how Geddy's voice sounds now, to enjoy it as much as or more than they've enjoyed any other phase of his craft, and thus not consider it a weak link regardless of how it compares to the way Geddy used to sound. This doesn't make them stupid or wrong, and doesn't make "inarguably different" automatically equate to "objectively worse."

People who can't accept that scare and bewilder ME.

goodpost.gif

I watch Time Machine and my reaction is man, listen to how good Geddy Lee sounds singing Rush songs in 2011.

Never thought I'd be saying that while watching him struggle through the HYF tour - over 20 years ago.

Edited by eshine

In viewing this thread, it seems that the issue is that people are taking this:

"Geddy's voice is weaker now." as "Geddy can't sing and I hate how the band sounds now."

Conversely, others are taking this: "I don't mind how his voice sounds now." as "Ged hasn't changed one bit."

The reality is both sides are reaching the middle ground, but from opposite directions.

Both sides know his voice is different and not as strong as it was.

One side is bothered by this, and one side is not.

But each side is pushing their point to the extreme, ie, one side are "haters" and one side "fanboys". I think each side is really in the same spot, knowing Ged has limitations.

One side chooses to highlight the downside, and the other chooses to enjoy what it is at this point in time.

Personally, I noticed the change in the 2010 shows, especially on the boots. I'm saddened by the change, but I knew it was coming and I take it in stride. I don't assume it's not there, but I don't cringe at any failed attempt at notes higher than he can attain.

I think this will be their last go around, and I will savor each show I attend, no matter where Ged's register is at.

Edited by Middle Kingdom

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Feb 3 2012, 05:22 PM)
"Geddy's voice is weaker now." as "Geddy can't sing and I hate how the band sounds now."

Conversely, others are taking this: "I don't mind how his voice sounds now." as "Ged hasn't changed one bit."

The reality is both sides are reaching the middle ground, but from opposite directions.

But each side is pushing their point to the extreme, ie, one side are "haters" and one side "fanboys". I think each side is really in the same spot, knowing Ged has limitations.

One side chooses to highlight the downside, and the other chooses to enjoy what it is at this point in time.

Personally, I noticed the change in the 2010 shows, especially on the boots. I'm saddened by the change, but I knew it was coming and I take it in stride. I don't assume it's not there, but I don't cringe at any failed attempt at notes higher than he can attain.

I think this will be their last go around, and I will savor each show I attend, no matter where Ged's register is at.

goodpost.gif

I've been a fan since PeW. The talk about the change in Geddy's voice is funny. I am also a big fan of Ronnie James Dio era Black Sabbath, since I got into them when Heaven and Hell came out (I'm 44 now, so I was 13 when PeW and H&H came out, for those keeping score at home smile.gif ). I actually saw RJD's second to last show before he died, back in August 2009 at the end of The Devil You Know tour. The show was great, because I love the music, but it's simply not realistic to say that his voice hadn't deteriorated with age. For all you younger folks out there let me assure you of something: EVERYTHING deteriorates with age. laugh.gif Geddy's voice has "deteriorated" as well, if we're talking about the ability to hit all the notes in Temples of Syrinx or Free Will after the lead break. But he still sounds good, frankly much better than Dio sounded, and I saw him almost exactly one year later on the Time Machine tour. For whatever physical reason, a person's voice is going to age more obviously than their dexterity or coordination does, for the most part, so musicians don't show it as badly as singers do. Unfortunately, Geddy is both. If the change in Geddy's voice makes it so you can't enjoy the music live anymore, that's too bad. If the enjoyment of seeing the band live makes it so you don't care that Geddy doesn't sound the same as he did in 1982, that's great. I suspect most of us fall in the latter category.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Feb 14 2012, 04:30 PM)
I've been a fan since PeW. The talk about the change in Geddy's voice is funny. I am also a big fan of Ronnie James Dio era Black Sabbath, since I got into them when Heaven and Hell came out (I'm 44 now, so I was 13 when PeW and H&H came out, for those keeping score at home smile.gif ). I actually saw RJD's second to last show before he died, back in August 2009 at the end of The Devil You Know tour. The show was great, because I love the music, but it's simply not realistic to say that his voice hadn't deteriorated with age. For all you younger folks out there let me assure you of something: EVERYTHING deteriorates with age. laugh.gif Geddy's voice has "deteriorated" as well, if we're talking about the ability to hit all the notes in Temples of Syrinx or Free Will after the lead break. But he still sounds good, frankly much better than Dio sounded, and I saw him almost exactly one year later on the Time Machine tour. For whatever physical reason, a person's voice is going to age more obviously than their dexterity or coordination does, for the most part, so musicians don't show it as badly as singers do. Unfortunately, Geddy is both. If the change in Geddy's voice makes it so you can't enjoy the music live anymore, that's too bad. If the enjoyment of seeing the band live makes it so you don't care that Geddy doesn't sound the same as he did in 1982, that's great. I suspect most of us fall in the latter category.

goodpost.gif

Actually, no,

It's GREAT posting!

Dirk still sounds good. He's not perfect, but how could he be? He's almost 60 years old for cryin' out loud! I personally find that some songs sound really good with his less-than-youthful vocal cords. Others... not so much.

But that doesn't matter because no matter how much people complain, his voice isn't going to miraculously get better. He's going to keep getting older until he retires and there is nothing that anybody can do about it. So either we can accept Ged's voice for what it is (and sometimes isn't) and keep going to see the shows and cheer on the boys, or we can just not accept his voice and stop going. Either way you just can't change time.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 26 2011, 09:11 PM)
It can't be argued that he is singing in a lower pitch than he used to. These are quantifiable statements and are not subjective.

It is quantifiable. He's not singing in a lower pitch.

2112 aside, they don't downtune Free Will or Limelight or Red Barchetta or Vital Signs or Circumstances, or Working Man, or any of their songs, old or new. If he wasn't hitting the right pitches it would sound dissonant. And he sure isn't singing Limelight, for example, an octave lower. I agree it's different in enunciation and tone, but pitchwise he is spot-on as ever.

Edited by CruisingInPrimetime

I look at it this way, it meant a lot to them emotionally to film the Cleveland show. And it also meant a lot to Cleveland, so having a bad vocal night was hardly the focus...

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Feb 3 2012, 05:22 PM)

Kudos