112 replies to this topic

#41 Lerxster

Lerxster

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8124 posts
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 29 2011, 10:00 PM)
I think the real crux of the matter these days is whether one wants to spend their time debating with those who are critical of the changes going on in the band, or celebrate whatever they enjoyed about the band and/or still do. If you're in the latter camp, there are other places you're better served (sorry). I'm quickly realizing I fall into the latter category; I'm too conflict-averse for a lot of what's going on on this board (and not just the stuff about Rush; it's all getting way too personal). For me, the Facebook Rush groups have a lot more of my kind of vibe. I'm thinking that when I get busy with a second job this month and am forced to spend less time here, it may not be a bad thing. I'd think about pulling up stakes entirely if I didn't have a decent amount of time and interaction built up here.

It's tough for me as a new fan. I want to find others who get what I fell in love with a year and three months ago, but its proving more difficult than I thought. I never thought I'd have to come in and justify myself to the band's own fans.

What an articulate heartfelt post.

ranton.gif
Those who continually criticize may find it mostly stimulating, but I find it mostly exhausting. And increasingly boring. But, maybe those critics would find a predominantly Rush-positive board dull, so there's a need to "mix it up".  

Rush is my favorite active band. As a fan of 30 years, I find less and less to be critical of and more reasons to be appreciative of what they've done and continue to do. I've found new appreciation over the years for the few songs I didn't care for, or downright disliked.  (Well, maybe except Virtuality tongue.gif) For me, Rush albums run the gamut of pretty good to downright brilliant. Neil is a great drummer, lyricist and (from what I deduce) person. Geddy can still sing good live. I'm a happy Rush fan smile.gif

rantoff.gif

Sponsored Post

#42 danielmclark

danielmclark

The Professor

• Members
  • 4076 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 30 2011, 08:24 AM)
Those who continually criticize may find it mostly stimulating, but I find it mostly exhausting. And increasingly boring. But, maybe those critics would find a predominantly Rush-positive board dull, so there's a need to "mix it up".

I don't continually criticize personally, but I'm not all sunshine & roses, either. I've done that already. I'm going on 21 years as a Rush fan and for the first 16 or 17, I was the 100% positive omg-they-are-gods kind of fan.

Over the past few years, I've come to realize that they're not gods, that they are extraordinarily talented human beings. They're still my favorite band by a million miles, but my perspective has changed.

Rush is like a wife (or husband) in a successful marriage. At the beginning, it's bliss and every little thing she does is magic (to borrow a phrase). Everyone is on their best behavior and flaws are either overlooked or not noticed at all. As the relationship progresses, people get more comfortable with each other, and after a few years, you realize that the person has flaws and things you don't like - but if your marriage is a solid one, none of that stuff matters.

You start to see your wife (or husband, or favorite band) for who they are, warts and all. And you love them anyway. If the marriage (or band/fan relationship) is solid, then talking about your flaws isn't seen as an attack or a rant or a complaint. It's just something you talk about because that's how you grow. It's how you experience each other.

There are lines you don't cross, of course. You don't throw around insults. You don't get mean. But just because a fan says that Geddy's voice isn't what it used to be, or that Neil's lyrics on any given album are weak, or that Alex's playing is uninspired on some songs... doesn't mean the fan loves them any less.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you're a fan in the early stages of bliss, maybe threads where people are talking on a higher level about the band aren't your cup of tea. But NEVER assume that someone who criticizes the band is automatically less of a fan.

rantoff.gif

Edited by danielmclark, 30 November 2011 - 10:34 AM.

#43 drgrendel

drgrendel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Golfing, and Hiking.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Good post on the bliss stuff.  

Been a fan since Hemispheres and still prefer the "newer" (RTB on up) Geddy voice.

Another board member was kind enough to pass along the information I needed to understand the quantitative stuff.  Thanks for your help.

Edited by drgrendel, 30 November 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#44 JTFL

JTFL

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

I Love Rush. Been listening to them for 30 yrs. But I have to admit the strain I feel and hear in G's singing. I thought to myself after the last show, 10/03/10, that I would not mind if they put any effect on the vocals to make it easier on him. He shouldnt have to strain and if anything like that would help prolong the entire Rush career for years to come then I'd be happy with that. Either way I'm a fan for life.

#45 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Whi is the "Geddy" person everyone keeps talking about?

I agree with Metaldad.

#46 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 30 2011, 10:33 AM)
So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you're a fan in the early stages of bliss, maybe threads where people are talking on a higher level about the band aren't your cup of tea.

So, in other words, if I never change my blissful opinions, I'm talking on a lower level from you. Thank you for coming right out and saying that.

In my opinion, my feelings about the band have more to do with my personality than they do with the length of time I've been a fan. I don't think my feelings or personality is going to change, but I'll check back in 20 years. If it has, I'll look forward to having reached your level and maybe we can chat.  

#47 danielmclark

danielmclark

The Professor

• Members
  • 4076 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 30 2011, 02:40 PM)
So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you're a fan in the early stages of bliss, maybe threads where people are talking on a higher level about the band aren't your cup of tea.

So, in other words, if I never change my blissful opinions, I'm talking on a lower level from you. Thank you for coming right out and saying that.

In my opinion, my feelings about the band have more to do with my personality than they do with the length of time I've been a fan. I don't think my feelings or personality is going to change, but I'll check back in 20 years. If it has, I'll look forward to having reached your level and maybe we can chat.

If you want to take that to a literal extreme, so be it.

#48 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 29 2011, 11:00 PM)
I think the real crux of the matter these days is whether one wants to spend their time debating with those who are critical of the changes going on in the band, or celebrate whatever they enjoyed about the band and/or still do. If you're in the latter camp, there are other places you're better served (sorry). I'm quickly realizing I fall into the latter category; I'm too conflict-averse for a lot of what's going on on this board (and not just the stuff about Rush; it's all getting way too personal). For me, the Facebook Rush groups have a lot more of my kind of vibe. I'm thinking that when I get busy with a second job this month and am forced to spend less time here, it may not be a bad thing. I'd think about pulling up stakes entirely if I didn't have a decent amount of time and interaction built up here.

It's tough for me as a new fan. I want to find others who get what I fell in love with a year and three months ago, but its proving more difficult than I thought. I never thought I'd have to come in and justify myself to the band's own fans.

I'll miss you if you go! sad.gif

At least come back for the Geddy thread wink.gif  

#49 Lerxster

Lerxster

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8124 posts
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 30 2011, 03:40 PM)

Yes, personality! I was thinking that earlier. That's a huge component.

My feelings of bliss have only increased as the years go by. I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the way I guess I became a fanboi. Doing what they do for as long as they have, as well as they have.. they are Gods. Rock Gods.  biggrin.gif   2.gif  1022.gif   trink39.gif  

#50 WCFIELDS

WCFIELDS

I'd rather be in Philadelphia

• Members *
  • 8740 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br>Music<br>Work<br>

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Nov 29 2011, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Nov 29 2011, 09:02 PM)
I happen to like his vocals better now than 30 years ago.  As one observer put it, his voice is more mature, thus has changed.  I am happy for that since progress and dealing with what life throws at you is a good thing.

His voice "matured" years ago.  It's been deteriorating for some time now.

this. end of discussion.

#51 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 30 2011, 05:03 PM)

I don't think I'll be leaving completely; I'm just going to be more selective about what threads I participate in and who I have discussions with. I'm not going to waste my time on people who find my opinions invalid. I can't do a DAMN THING about how late I became a fan or what personality I have, but I can assess when conflict is going to arise and avoid it.

Thanks for the support, it means a lot.

#52 drgrendel

drgrendel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Golfing, and Hiking.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 30 2011, 10:41 PM)

I don't think I'll be leaving completely; I'm just going to be more selective about what threads I participate in and who I have discussions with. I'm not going to waste my time on people who find my opinions invalid. I can't do a DAMN THING about how late I became a fan or what personality I have, but I can assess when conflict is going to arise and avoid it.

It is pretty sad that "new" fans of any band have to feel less than worthy because they haven't been a fan for xx amount of years.  The Iron Maiden forum is full of the same.  Some of the so-called Maiden "experts" were putting down kids for wearing Maiden shirts because the bearer did not know anything of the Blaze Baily years or any of  the less than popular Maiden tunes.  Such people are not viewed as being "true fans."  Really now...  I think any band is proud of all of their fans whether they are new or old.  I would even go so far as to guess that such bands strive to get new fans with each effort/outing.  Heck, Maiden always make comments about how many new fans they see out on the road.  

In a nutshell, your opinions are just as valid as any other fan's.  Don't be discouraged by the narrow-minded.  Rejoice and enjoy.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

this. not end of discussion   rofl3.gif

Edited by drgrendel, 30 November 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#53 danielmclark

danielmclark

The Professor

• Members
  • 4076 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 30 2011, 08:41 PM)

You are blowing that comment way out of proportion. Good lord.

And at the risk of making you upset eyesre4.gif, I'll just say that if your personality and opinions about anything haven't changed after 20 years, there's something deeply wrong with you. People change and evolve. It's the human condition.

Doesn't mean your opinions about anything are less valid than anyone else's. Again, blowing that comment way out of proportion.

#54 Analog_Bro

Analog_Bro

The Seeker

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

To say that he can't sing is just silly. Does he have a lower pitch and change some of the melodies in songs to better fit his voice? Sure, but I personally do not see how that detracts from the music, I still think they sounds great and Geddy still rocks vocally

It is all a gross exaggeration of the severity of this whole conversation.  Listen to the new live CD.  He sounds great, hits the badass notes after the guitar solo in Freewill and sounds fantastic on the rest of the songs as well!  

I have one criteria: does it sound as good as the other performances to me regardless of the changes. And to me that is a huge YES!

It is not denial, it is not anything but me simply enjoying these recent shows just as much as any other shows Rush has done

So my point is: Geddy still rocks. Nuff said  1022.gif  

Edited by Analog_Bro, 01 December 2011 - 02:29 AM.

#55 eshine

eshine

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 30 2011, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Nov 29 2011, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Nov 29 2011, 09:02 PM)
I happen to like his vocals better now than 30 years ago.  As one observer put it, his voice is more mature, thus has changed.  I am happy for that since progress and dealing with what life throws at you is a good thing.

His voice "matured" years ago.  It's been deteriorating for some time now.

this. end of discussion.

His voice has aged. It isn't deteriorating - as evidenced by the fact that he is still able to pull off consistent performances night after night.

Age does not kill your voice - abuse does. Ged takes good care of his instrument and it shows, which is why the shrill and almost abusive criticism of him makes some of us a little pissed off. It's way overdone and entirely unfair.

Yes, his voice is different - lets file that under "no sh*t sherlock"

Many of us embrace this and welcome the nuances that come with a mature singing voice. Ged does a splendid job of adapting to the limitations of his high register.

If you're not liking it anymore your entitled to your opinions, but don't act all flabbergasted when fans of his singing defend him. I find it insulting when you guys ensue that your tastes are more discernable.

#56 D3strukt

D3strukt

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2489 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

Okay serious, everyone please just shut the f**k up. This is starting to annoy me now, and i'm not normally one who gets annoyed.

Geddy's voice isn't deteorating MUCH, but it IS getting there, and it IS HIS voice that IS THE WEAK LINK.

He won't be able to do this in 5-7 years without sounding like Ozzy or Mick Jagger.

Face it, he's not singing like he used to.The longer you take to accept that, the more people are going to shove it down your throat.

#57 Analog_Bro

Analog_Bro

The Seeker

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 1 2011, 02:16 PM)
Okay serious, everyone please just shut the f**k up. This is starting to annoy me now, and i'm not normally one who gets annoyed.

Geddy's voice isn't deteorating MUCH, but it IS getting there, and it IS HIS voice that IS THE WEAK LINK.

He won't be able to do this in 5-7 years without sounding like Ozzy or Mick Jagger.

Face it, he's not singing like he used to.The longer you take to accept that, the more people are going to shove it down your throat.

There is no debate that his voice is not what it used to be...

However regarding it being the "weak link"... I totally disagree.  Because weak link is entirely based on an individuals subjective opinion on what they view as weak or as an asset to the band

Geddy's voice may not be what is was but he still sounds really damn good and I consider it to be a strength of the band to have someone who can still do the songs justice vocally and instrumentally.  And regarding the 5-7 year theory... well since Rash is the only one with a Time Machine there is no way we can tell that far ahead.

It has nothing to do with "accepting" it or not.  It is all about respecting each other's opinions without telling each other to shut up

Edited by Analog_Bro, 01 December 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#58 GUP1771

GUP1771

The Seeker

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 29 2011, 10:00 PM)

Well said. I'm in a similar boat as you are. Thanks for putting this into words that I couldn't find for myself. smile.gif

Edited by GUP1771, 01 December 2011 - 05:55 PM.

#59 D3strukt

D3strukt

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2489 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Dec 1 2011, 05:23 PM)

However regarding it being the "weak link"... I totally disagree.  Because weak link is entirely based on an individuals subjective opinion on what they view as weak or as an asset to the band

Geddy's voice may not be what is was but he still sounds really damn good and I consider it to be a strength of the band to have someone who can still do the songs justice vocally and instrumentally.  And regarding the 5-7 year theory... well since Rash is the only one with a Time Machine there is no way we can tell that far ahead.

It has nothing to do with "accepting" it or not.  It is all about respecting each other's opinions without telling each other to shut up

I KNOW that i'm not the ONLY person here who is tired of this pointless bickering.

And to say that Geddy's voice ISN'T the weak link in the band, when you know, EVERYONE ELSE (Including his playing) is on FIRE right now. Kinda hard to believe that you can't see that.

His voice is the worst fairing out of anything.

Not to say that it is BAD. Just not as GOOD as it once was.

#60 Analog_Bro

Analog_Bro

The Seeker

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 1 2011, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Dec 1 2011, 05:23 PM)

I KNOW that i'm not the ONLY person here who is tired of this pointless bickering.

And to say that Geddy's voice ISN'T the weak link in the band, when you know, EVERYONE ELSE (Including his playing) is on FIRE right now. Kinda hard to believe that you can't see that.

His voice is the worst fairing out of anything.

Not to say that it is BAD. Just not as GOOD as it once was.

Well define "weak link".  

As far as my subjective listening goes everything is still going strong in the band, none of the links are "weak".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users