Taking Away All That Is Sacred

Tick

I'm talking about retail and holiday's. I work at Lowe's and while we will open at 5 am on Black Friday(I go in at 11 am), at least Thanksgiving has not been taken away from our families.

I find it sickening that Toys Are Us and Walmart will open at 10 pm on Thanksgiving and Target at midnight. Its not bad enough these employees must deal with the biggest most inconsiderate morons (not all of them) on the planet on Black Friday, but now they must even forfeit the family time on our great American holiday.

Its disgusting. Its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much. It would be great if in a show of solidarity they all didn't show up for work. What a message that would send. It would be glorious.

Oh well, such is the world these days. Getting sadder and sadder.

Thoughts, opinions, soup?

• Like 1

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 08:53 AM)
I'm talking about retail and holiday's. I work at Lowe's and while we will open at 5 am on Black Friday(I go in at 11 am), at least Thanksgiving has not been taken away from our families.
I find it sickening that Toys Are Us and Walmart will open at 10 pm on Thanksgiving and Target at midnight. Its not bad enough these employees must deal with the biggest most inconsiderate morons (not all of them) on the planet on Black Friday, but now they must even forfeit the family time on our great American holiday.
Its disgusting. Its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much. It would be great if in a show of solidarity they all didn't show up for work. What a message that would send. It would be glorious.

I'll take the French Onion soup. Extra cheese, please.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 23 2011, 08:58 AM)

Sorry, not serving till 5 am Friday morning. atickhum.gif

Some businesses need to be open on Thanksgiving. Gas stations. Hospitals. Local grocery stores should take turns being open in the holidays so that people who need food can get it.

Fking Macy's doesn't NEED to be open on Thanksgiving. Walmart doesn't NEED to be open on Thanksgiving. Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, KMart, whatever - there is virtually no retailer that NEEDS to be open on Thanksgiving.

And the worst part is that it's largely because of corporate greed and excess that we've been in a down economy for this long, and now some corporations are inching into Thanksgiving to make up for low profits. It's pathetic.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 09:21 AM)
Some businesses need to be open on Thanksgiving. Gas stations. Hospitals. Local grocery stores should take turns being open in the holidays so that people who need food can get it.

Fking Macy's doesn't NEED to be open on Thanksgiving. Walmart doesn't NEED to be open on Thanksgiving. Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, KMart, whatever - there is virtually no retailer that NEEDS to be open on Thanksgiving.

And the worst part is that it's largely because of corporate greed and excess that we've been in a down economy for this long, and now some corporations are inching into Thanksgiving to make up for low profits. It's pathetic.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 09:10 AM)

Will it be on special? I better get in line now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 09:21 AM)

It's all about the Benjamins!

I agree. Soon, they won't close at all

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 23 2011, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 09:10 AM)

Will it be on special? I better get in line now.

Yes, there are only 5 bowls available. Then you have to settle for Chicken and stars. No rainchecks!

Target's brought that horrible blonde bitch back in their ads again this year; I saw the first one last night. I wish someone would toss her in a woodchipper or something.

Kohl's had their Christmas shit up in September.

(I realized after writing all this that I kind of went in a slightly different direction, but I'm going based on some of what Tick said, as well as his thread title which is very fitting)

Agreed on everything.

But this is the world we live in now...it's all about the almighty dollar. It's all about material goods...and who can get into the stores first, and who can grab the most merchandise to save 15-20%. Even if you don't need that product, you should get it...because it's on SALE. wacko.gif

People have forgotten what the holidays are all about. It's been like that for a long time now, though it seems to keep getting worse every year. That's why there never seems to be a transition period between holidays now. They all revolve around the retailers. I was out shopping for a Halloween costume in early October, and they already had a section with Christmas trees, lights, ornaments, etc...crazy.

I'm in Canada, but even we get thrown into the 'Black Friday' madness. I've received all sorts of flyers, emails, and marketing campaigns regarding "Black Friday deals" the last few weeks. It's ridiculous. My understanding is that Black Friday is essentially the same as what we have here on December 26 (Boxing Day). A day where people are willing to line up outside in the freezing cold just to be first into a store, a day where you spend more time finding a parking space then you do in the actual store, and a day where you can barely walk through the mall without being hit or bumped into...all to save a few bucks.

Like MD mentioned, it's only a matter of time before all stores (no matter what kind) will be open 24/7/365. I know for sure that WalMart opens 24 hours here during these two months leading to Christmas, and they are not alone.

Retailers (and most people now) have forgotten what the point of these holidays are...a chance to slow things down, spend time with their families and loved ones, enjoy each other's company. It really is very sad IMO.

(The only good thing for me about American Thanksgiving is that I work at a company that deals with all American clients, so I actually get the Thursday off every year...which means FOOTBALL! biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 07:53 AM)
...its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much. It would be great if in a show of solidarity they all didn't show up for work. What a message that would send. It would be glorious...

here's an even better show of solidarity, an even better way to send a message:

DON'T GO SHOPPING THURSDAY NIGHT

^ it's not the companies or their employees or their 'doorbusters' (a term I would like to pile-drive into the heart of the ad agency that came up with it) or their $15 Blu-Ray players that need to change their attitudes and behaviors

it's the consumer

if: you don't go

then: they won't open on Thanksgiving again

Occupy Your Thanksgiving Dinner Table!

I've been noticing this for years.

I'm not a big fan of government intervention, but I wouldn't mind seeing a law that says only certain retailers (gas stations) can be open on New Years Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Festivus, and Christmas.

Most of the people shopping for the extreme deals on electronics aren't even buying Christmas gifts. They're making those purchases for themselves. Talk about losing the spirit. (Unless the spirit is unbridled greed, of course).

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 10:35 AM)
...its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much. It would be great if in a show of solidarity they all didn't show up for work. What a message that would send. It would be glorious...

^ it's not the companies or their employees or their 'doorbusters' (a term I would like to pile-drive into the heart of the ad agency that came up with it) or their $15 Blu-Ray players that need to change their attitudes and behaviors

it's the consumer

PEOPLE WILL GO! They will always trample each other at 4 am for a 10 dollar coffee pot.

If the stores cared about there employees and they don't they wouldn't open on Thanksgiving night, period. The customers can easily wait till the morning and it won't effect there pathetic lives.

People don't care if others have to spend time away from family because its a selfish, self centered society.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 09:35 AM)

it's the consumer

LMAO - you are naive. People will go to save $10. Hell, they will go to save $1. People are nuts. What's the over/under of "around the country" shots during the Thurs night news showing the lines in different cities. What's the over/under on "people getting trampled" stories?

I have never gone on Black Friday, but I have shopped online for a couple things. I do the vast majority of my Christmas shopping online. That way I avoid all the fruitloops.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2011, 10:56 AM)

it's the consumer

LMAO - you are naive. People will go to save $10. Hell, they will go to save $1. People are nuts. What's the over/under of "around the country" shots during the Thurs night news showing the lines in different cities. What's the over/under on "people getting trampled" stories?

I have never gone on Black Friday, but I have shopped online for a couple things. I do the vast majority of my Christmas shopping online. That way I avoid all the fruitloops.

I hate shopping any time of the year - that I can do it online is a marvel for which I will never cease to be thankful.

I would rather engage in self-immolation than go to an After-Thanksgiving Sale (which is what it used to be called, BTW). I'm fairly sure the experience would unleash some hidden, untapped reservoir of rage within and I'd end up in jail before the day was out.

So BFD, I don't save $400 on the giant flat screen. I don't need one anyway, nor does anyone for whom I'll be buying gifts.

I tired of the commercialization a long time ago. But I do try to see it from the other side - some of these retailers are barely staying afloat right now. Black Friday may just keep them in business - and keep people employed - for a while longer.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 23 2011, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2011, 10:56 AM)

it's the consumer

I hate shopping any time of the year - that I can do it online is a marvel for which I will never cease to be thankful.

I would rather engage in self-immolation than go to an After-Thanksgiving Sale (which is what it used to be called, BTW). I'm fairly sure the experience would unleash some hidden, untapped reservoir of rage within and I'd end up in jail before the day was out.

So BFD, I don't save $400 on the giant flat screen. I don't need one anyway, nor does anyone for whom I'll be buying gifts.

I tired of the commercialization a long time ago. But I do try to see it from the other side - some of these retailers are barely staying afloat right now. Black Friday may just keep them in business - and keep people employed - for a while longer.

Bullshit! They could opened a few hours later and it doesn't make a shittin difference.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 23 2011, 10:44 AM)
Most of the people shopping for the extreme deals on electronics aren't even buying Christmas gifts. They're making those purchases for themselves. Talk about losing the spirit. (Unless the spirit is unbridled greed, of course).

Exactly. Like I mentioned before...people are trained to react immediately to any sort of "sale". You might not need it, but hey, 'it's on sale so why not?!' That's how people think now.

The retailers know this and assist in any way they can to keep people believing that. They also are smart enough to use the phrases "great gifts for everyone on your list". I mean, really? Does everyone on my list really get a big screen TV, a Blackberry or iPhone, a new surround system, hell, a new car? Really? These are gifts that everyone buys??

Two things. First, we are society. Never forget that. I know that we as individuals in this thread are above all the Black Friday retardedness, but society is made up of people just like us. We will all have friends and family out there on Friday morning, 3am. So, while we're busy lamenting how stupid people are... society is us. We - those of us old enough to remember wink.gif - camped outside of Ticketmaster offices all night waiting for Rush tickets.

Second, as much fun as it is to bash Black Friday and the people that do it (and it IS fun), here's some perspective:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19572_5-bla...to-believe.html

It's not a day that's always great for retailers, it has nothing to do with them "getting out of the red and into the black" and people aren't dying by the hundreds every year as they get trampled by people busting down doors.

That said, if Amazon doesn't deliver it, I don't buy it. Shopping sucks and people that break down the doors at Walmart to save a buck on something they don't need (or even really want that bad) are idiots.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 23 2011, 11:06 AM)

The problem with that thought is...how many people truly go to these smaller, local businesses for 'Black Friday deals'? Most of them probably can't even afford to put any deals together...

The WalMart's of the world are the ones that truly cash in on these holidays and sales, and they are not the ones that need the money to 'stay afloat'.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 23 2011, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 23 2011, 10:44 AM)
Most of the people shopping for the extreme deals on electronics aren't even buying Christmas gifts.  They're making those purchases for themselves.  Talk about losing the spirit.  (Unless the spirit is unbridled greed, of course).

Exactly. Like I mentioned before...people are trained to react immediately to any sort of "sale". You might not need it, but hey, 'it's on sale so why not?!' That's how people think now.

The retailers know this and assist in any way they can to keep people believing that. They also are smart enough to use the phrases "great gifts for everyone on your list". I mean, really? Does everyone on my list really get a big screen TV, a Blackberry or iPhone, a new surround system, hell, a new car? Really? These are gifts that everyone buys??

Some people plan major purchases around these shopping events, though. My parents one year waited a few months specifically for Black Friday to buy a big screen TV. Putting off the purchase saved them something like $600.

Same thing happens right before the Super Bowl - all the furniture and electronics stores start putting their giant TVs on sale. A friend of my wife's got a 55" TV before the Super Bowl last year for almost half off the regular price.

I think if you know you're going to be buying a big ticket item like this, timing the purchase around a sale event, if it's going to save you several hundred, even a thousand dollars, is a very smart thing to do.

This "black Friday" garbage gets right on my last nerve! Why can't they give the employees Friday off and just have "black Saturday"?