Taking Away All That Is Sacred

Tick

I think shopping on Black Friday would be a glimpse into my own personal hell. I like people, but only in moderation.

I've never shopped on Black Friday. I usually start my shopping a day or two before Christmas eve. smile.gif

I'm also warming up to shopping on line. Shopping in my boxers...what could be better than that! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2011, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 07:53 AM)
...its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much. It would be great if in a show of solidarity they all didn't show up for work. What a message that would send. It would be glorious...

here's an even better show of solidarity, an even better way to send a message:

DON'T GO SHOPPING THURSDAY NIGHT

^ it's not the companies or their employees or their 'doorbusters' (a term I would like to pile-drive into the heart of the ad agency that came up with it) or their $15 Blu-Ray players that need to change their attitudes and behaviors

it's the consumer

if: you don't go

then: they won't open on Thanksgiving again

Occupy Your Thanksgiving Dinner Table!

LMAO - you are naive. People will go to save $10. Hell, they will go to save $1. People are nuts. What's the over/under of "around the country" shots during the Thurs night news showing the lines in different cities. What's the over/under on "people getting trampled" stories?

I have never gone on Black Friday, but I have shopped online for a couple things. I do the vast majority of my Christmas shopping online. That way I avoid all the fruitloops.

*whoosh*

if we give in to certain sentiments in this thread:

> people are 'trained' to go to any sale

> it's the store's job to be respectful to the holiday

> the government should 'ban' Black Friday

- then we've admitted that the majority of people are not responsible for nor capable of controlling their own behavior

it's up to those of us who *can* be responsible and who *can* control our behavior to do what we can:

> don't shop at stores that open on Thanksgiving

> don't work for companies that open on Thanksgiving

and let's not be melodramatic:

> no one's forcing anyone to work on Thanksgiving

> no one's forcing anyone to shop on Thanksgiving

you are responsible for your impulse control (or lack thereof)

the 'crack dealer' in this equation isn't the problem - 'you' are

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 10:51 AM)

- then we've admitted that the majority of people are not responsible for nor capable of controlling their own behavior

it's up to those of us who *can* be responsible and who *can* control our behavior to do what we can:

So what was that "whoosh" for exactly if you repeated yourself in 2 posts now.

I don't do this BS - nobody in my family does either. But you know damn well others will, and convincing a handful of people on a forum isn't going to change anything. Who exactly are you preaching to then?

Stores are open on Thanksgiving because they can. They are one-upping the other stores. People, in general, are sheep and will flock in the direction of the easiest path.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2011, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 10:51 AM)

So what was that "whoosh" for exactly if you repeated yourself in 2 posts now.

I don't do this BS - nobody in my family does either. But you know damn well others will, and convincing a handful of people on a forum isn't going to change anything. Who exactly are you preaching to then?

Stores are open on Thanksgiving because they can. They are one-upping the other stores. People, in general, are sheep and will flock in the direction of the easiest path.

I'm 'preaching' to no one, LIX, and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything

merely observations

I think it's pretty obvious that people in general aren't real bright

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 08:53 AM)
Its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much.

And here's the reason that they can do it. There are tons of people (mostly of the younger generation) who would gladly work to hell and back to pick up some extra cash. For every employee who wants the day off to spend with their family, there is someone else, probably unemployed, who wishes they could be picking up an hourly pay instead of spending the holiday at home.

The only problem that lies in the way is that there's no practical way to redistribute jobs and shifts for this sort of purpose. It's impractical from a company's point of view to hire people or have them on standby for only a few days out of the year.

As a matter of simple principle, it's a business's duty to provide their clients with the best service possible. The only reason businesses have begun staying open on holidays is because the consumer demand is there -- and it wouldn't surprise me at all to discover that some, if not most, of the people who go shopping on black friday, thanksgiving, and other holidays that are actually "sacred" by definition, are the same people who think it's disgusting that people are required to work on these days.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 23 2011, 11:57 AM)
and it wouldn't surprise me at all to discover that some, if not most, of the people who go shopping on black friday, thanksgiving, and other holidays that are actually "sacred" by definition, are the same people who think it's disgusting that people are required to work on these days.

In other words:

"I think it's sacrilegious that Walmart is open today on Thanksgiving! What? They have $10 off an X-Box 360? I'll be right back."

doh.gif

The thing that gets me is you don't really save any money of the stuff you want to buy anyway. If you were planning on getting a new tv and are ok with buying one of the outgoing models, yeah - you can save some $.

I remember my brother's ex-wife loved the Black Friday hunt. They were going to get my nephew a Nintendo DS, and I was going to get one for my daughter one Christmas. She was all proud telling me the price she got it for. I said I got mine thru amazon for $5 more, but it came with a free game and I didn't have to stand in line for hours.... she still went every year.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 23 2011, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 23 2011, 11:06 AM)
I tired of the commercialization a long time ago.  But I do try to see it from the other side - some of these retailers are barely staying afloat right now.  Black Friday may just keep them in business - and keep people employed - for a while longer.

The problem with that thought is...how many people truly go to these smaller, local businesses for 'Black Friday deals'? Most of them probably can't even afford to put any deals together...

The WalMart's of the world are the ones that truly cash in on these holidays and sales, and they are not the ones that need the money to 'stay afloat'.

The smaller retailers also do well. If the big stores didn't get people out shopping then they would probably suffer. Think of it as being akin to those pilot fish that hang around sharks for leftovers and bits of food. When the shark eats, they eat as well.

Wal-Mart...oh boy!

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3303.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3301.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3291.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3285.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3284.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3279.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/3272.jpg

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 07:35 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2011, 07:53 AM)
...its too bad all there employees need these shitty jobs so much. It would be great if in a show of solidarity they all didn't show up for work. What a message that would send. It would be glorious...

here's an even better show of solidarity, an even better way to send a message:

DON'T GO SHOPPING THURSDAY NIGHT

^ it's not the companies or their employees or their 'doorbusters' (a term I would like to pile-drive into the heart of the ad agency that came up with it) or their $15 Blu-Ray players that need to change their attitudes and behaviors

it's the consumer

if: you don't go

then: they won't open on Thanksgiving again

Occupy Your Thanksgiving Dinner Table!

^^THIS

Absolutely spot on! It's all about controlling the masses and raking in the dough. Sickening.

Our Wally World is open 24/7 every day but Christmas. So are several grocery stores in our area. And we're not a big city. eh.gif

I'm just glad that there is no black Friday up here in the great white north. We get up on Thanksgiving, spend time with our families, and be thankful for what we have. We don't go rushing out for deals on things we don't have.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2011, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Nov 23 2011, 01:39 PM)
I agree. They shouldn't open the stores on Black Friday until at least 5 am.

yeah - waaaay better! tongue.gif

It is actually. At least you arent stealing the holiday from anyone.

I could care less when the stores open, I won't be getting anywhere near there on the day after Thanksgiving.

There are a couple of really good college football games, highlighted by #1 LSU vs #3 Arkansas.

I agree. However.........I work in retail and can tell you that our top ten days include:

1 - Christmas eve

2 - Christmas Day

3- 12/23

4 - 12/22

5 - day before easter

6 - Valentine's Day

7 - Easter

8 - Halloween

9 - 12/21

10 - 12-20

The fact is that the demand is there. The amazing thing is that people will come in and groan about the fact that we are open while standing in line buying something ridiculous. Unless it is outlawed someone will be open to meet demand. As long as someone is open others will open.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 23 2011, 10:12 PM)
I agree. However.........I work in retail and can tell you that our top ten days include:
1 - Christmas eve
2 - Christmas Day
3- 12/23
4 - 12/22
5 - day before easter
6 - Valentine's Day
7 - Easter
8 - Halloween
9 - 12/21
10 - 12-20

The fact is that the demand is there. The amazing thing is that people will come in and groan about the fact that we are open while standing in line buying something ridiculous. Unless it is outlawed someone will be open to meet demand. As long as someone is open others will open.

Looks similar to the list of days for the financial switch I run.

Today was our peak hour for the year - people stopping at the store for their thanksgiving ingredients on the way home from work.

Christmas eve is the busiest day, then the Sat before, and the Sat before that. Then Black Friday. Christmas eve being a Sat is going to be one hell of a busy day!

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Nov 23 2011, 11:05 PM)
I could care less when the stores open, I won't be getting anywhere near there on the day after Thanksgiving.

I care. I hate the fact people (with non essential jobs) can't have a holiday with there family.

The problem with society as a whole is they don't care. Sign of the times.

I hate the whole, "stop complaining, plenty of people would kill for those jobs" mindset. Who cares? If this employees were given the days with there family, it would change nothing economically.

We have become a society whose priorities are all screwed up. Family values mean shit.

"If people want to shop on the holiday, they should be able to shop."

That mindset is weak, very weak.

laughedatbytime, this is not an attack on you. I just took your first sentence to make a point that these days people have a "if it doesn't effect me" mindset, I don't care.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 24 2011, 04:43 AM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Nov 23 2011, 11:05 PM)

I care. I hate the fact people (with non essential jobs) can't have a holiday with there family.

The problem with society as a whole is they don't care. Sign of the times.

I hate the whole, "stop complaining, plenty of people would kill for those jobs" mindset. Who cares? If this employees were given the days with there family, it would change nothing economically.

We have become a society whose priorities are all screwed up. Family values mean shit.

"If people want to shop on the holiday, they should be able to shop."

That mindset is weak, very weak.

laughedatbytime, this is not an attack on you. I just took your first sentence to make a point that these days people have a "if it doesn't effect me" mindset, I don't care.

http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm