Hell On Wheels

Presto-a RUSH fan!

***I could have sworn there was a thread for this show. I searched using both title method and entire post method and couldn't find one. If there is one, feel free to delete this one and I apologize for making a second one***

So I just watched the first episode this morning (11-15-11) and I have to say I enjoyed it and it looks like AMC might be back on track after what I feel is a mediocre at best, The Walking Dead.

I am not a huge western/Civil War/early American era movie fan. I just don't get excited to watch them. That being said, when I finally break down and watch them I am usually blown away and truly enjoy them. Movies like Tombstone, Unforgiven, There Will Be Blood, 3:10 To Yuma and Glory, just to name a few off the top of my head. If I thought about it, I could probably name 15 more I really loved. I still haven't seen True Grit (new one or old one, for that matter), for the fact of just not being drawn to westerns. But when I do I will probably say "wtf did I wait so long for".

All that being said, I found myself very engrossed in the first episode of Hell On Wheels and I can't wait to watch the second one. Of course alot of shows look great after the first episode, only to go downhill. But so far I like what I have seen and it's not going to be as hard for me to watch this one every week if the first episode is any indication of what lies ahead. It wasn't the best first episode of a show I have seen but I never found myself bored or wanting to push fast forward. There were a couple small things I found lacking, but overall, I was happy with it.

Hopefully it will keep getting better each week, although seeing that I couldn't find a thread for it (maybe there is one) I am wondering if anyone else is enjoying this show, at least after the first 2 episodes. So far, I am after the first episode.

Anyone like or dislike so far?

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 15 2011, 08:59 AM)
***I could have sworn there was a thread for this show. I searched using both title method and entire post method and couldn't find one. If there is one, feel free to delete this one and I apologize for making a second one***

QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 15 2011, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 15 2011, 08:59 AM)
***I could have sworn there was a thread for this show.  I searched using both title method and entire post method and couldn't find one. If there is one, feel free to delete this one and I apologize for making a second one***

Figures there was a thread. Well at least this one has the name in the title. If someone wants this one deleted, no problem.

Anyway, back to the show. I just watched the 2nd episode and it was better than the first. I like most of the characters. The main guy, Bohanon, from the first episode I wondered if he was a strong enough actor, but I think he is doing fine. I love The Swede and The Reverend characters and both of them as actors. Can't remember where I have seen The Swede before but he seems familiar to me. The actor who plays the Reverend is normally cast as a villain, and who knows, maybe he will turn out to be one, but I think he is perfect so far. The rapper Common has been decent as well. Then there is the guy in charge of building the railroad who is a great actor and is playing his role perfectly. All the sets seem gritty and real and I haven't had any problems with the directing.

I wondered if the dialogue would be annoying if they tried to speak exactly like they did back then, or if they would speak exactly like modern day. I think it's in the middle, which I think is just about right.

All in all, I am pleasantly surprised and I hope this show catches on, but since it's on AMC it will hopefully make it farther than it would if it was on a network. I just hope it doesn't go the way that Rubicon did. I really enjoyed that show and it was a very methodical, slow moving show, but very, very interesting, at least to me. I wish they would have stuck that one out, but I can understand why people didn't like it as it wasn't the most exciting show.

So after 2 episodes, I am pretty happy with Hell On Wheels and look forward to watching the rest of the season. Hopefully it will keep getting better and better. popcorn.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

Lastly, any American History buffs that are watching the show and are going to be commenting on the thread, if you could point out things that may not be based on history and are more made up to fit the story and/or things that are completely based on the history of building the railroad. I understand that the show and characters are made up, I am talking more about how historically accurate the show is in a broad sense. Obviously, I didn't pay much attention in American History and it would be interesting to find out how much is fact and how much is fiction. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 16 2011, 09:03 AM)
SPOILER

The Swede is one bad ass dude...kinda feel like he's gonna cause a lot of trouble.

I don't think that needed a spoiler. Anyone who sees that guy in the first minute will get that! He is just got that air about him!!!

But please...keep using spoilers!!! I am soooo proud of you right now! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 16 2011, 11:35 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 16 2011, 09:03 AM)
SPOILER

The Swede is one bad ass dude...kinda feel like he's gonna cause a lot of trouble.

I don't think that needed a spoiler. Anyone who sees that guy in the first minute will get that! He is just got that air about him!!!

But please...keep using spoilers!!! I am soooo proud of you right now! tongue.gif

I'm not taking any chances. I'm hedging my bets and putting SPOILER on everything I post regarding something that may potentially be spoiled...

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 15 2011, 12:27 PM)
Lastly, any American History buffs that are watching the show and are going to be commenting on the thread, if you could point out things that may not be based on history and are more made up to fit the story and/or things that are completely based on the history of building the railroad. I understand that the show and characters are made up, I am talking more about how historically accurate the show is in a broad sense. Obviously, I didn't pay much attention in American History and it would be interesting to find out how much is fact and how much is fiction. confused13.gif

Well the the nail he digs out of the plank is square sided/headed just like nails of the era would've been. They went through the trouble of making that authentic when 99% of people wouldn't even notice.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Nov 17 2011, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 15 2011, 12:27 PM)
Lastly, any American History buffs that are watching the show and are going to be commenting on the thread, if you could point out things that may not be based on history and are more made up to fit the story and/or things that are completely based on the history of building the railroad.  I understand that the show and characters are made up, I am talking more about how historically accurate the show is in a broad sense.  Obviously, I didn't pay much attention in American History and it would be interesting to find out how much is fact and how much is fiction.  confused13.gif

Well the the nail he digs out of the plank is square sided/headed just like nails of the era would've been. They went through the trouble of making that authentic when 99% of people wouldn't even notice.

Nice. I noticed it but didn't know it was period. That's what I am talking about. Top notch info. Appreciate it. If there are other things as to the history, like I am wondering if the main guy spearheading the railroad is a true historical figure. I could look it up, but I figure someone smart like yourself will tell me. Thanks.

Hey Kahn,

Good man with the spoilers. Everytime I see one I feel a tinge of pride. Of course, its probably more knowing that it pisses off some people. I mean it is super hard to do. But if I could give out cookies, I would and you would certainly be getting one. Here is some bacon.gif instead. wink.gif

Still liking this show alot. Hope it keeps getting better.

***Spoilers***

My favorite part of the last episode (11-20-11) was when Bohanon went to do surgery on the girl and he took out the flask. Of course you think, ok, he's going to use it to sterilize the wound, but he takes a drink. So then I am thinking, ok...now he is gonna sterilize the wound...and he just keeps drinking it. I'd have to do the same thing If I was digging around in someones flesh!

I also like that they are showing different sides of the main guy building the railroad. (can't remember his name) Like when he was drunk and he went in to talk to the two Irish immigrants in their tent.

Looks like I am one of the only ones posting on this show!!

But I have to say I LOVE IT! As I said above, I am not a big western fan but this show is just plain good. To me, this show puts The Walking Dead to shame.

Every scene has a meaning. The dialogue is good. The characters make some sense. Just a damn good show from episode to episode.

In fact, my Mom, who I mentioned in the Breaking Bad thread, usually hates anything with violence, but she is a huge BB fan and now I told her about this one and she watched it OnDemand and she is hooked!

Is anyone still watching? I just caught up and was shocked that I had to go to page 2 of the forum to find this thread. Looks like I will be talking to myself about HOW again!

But I loved the last episode that aired. I really like this show and like I stated earlier in the thread, I am not a huge western, early America show, fan. But so far I have really enjoyed this show.

And thankfully, AMC is bringing it back!

AMC's Hell on Wheels Renewed for Season 2

It's a small article but it does mention that this is the 5th of 6 series for AMC to grant a second season to, the others being: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and The Killing.

The one that didn't make it was Rubicon which wasn't super exciting, but I found it very interesting and was mad when they didn't renew it. At least they are renewing HOW!!!! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 27 2011, 11:22 AM)
I've missed the past few weeks. I'm on vacation now so I may just stream the entire season from beginning to end to catch up

Just so you know, they are replaying the entire season on this Sunday, Jan 1st so if you have a DVR you can record the whole season. It starts at 3pm and ends at 10pm. Then the new episode is on at 10pm.

Glad to see I'm not alone in liking this show!

Back from being sick to say that Hell On Wheels is the best show currently on tv.

This show is so much better than The Walking Dead. If any show deserves an after show, which pretty much no show deserves or needs one, (well maybe Breaking Bad!) it would be HoW.

Like nobodys hero said, I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it's one heck of a show regardless.

I never thought I'd say this, but mark me down as a Common fan (the rapper who plays Elam Ferguson) and I don't think there is a bad actor/actress in the bunch.

This show has great acting and directing and the sets look really realistic, well as far as I know!

And the main thing I wondered when I heard about this show was how the dialogue would be. Would it be old English and exact for the time making it hard on the ears? Would it be totally updated? I think it is right were it needs to be and believable, which is what I go by. Whereas a show like The Walking Dead has such bad dialogue, it doesn't matter if they all spoke with thick southern accents or sound like they were from Canada, eh?, the words that come out of their mouths just suck. 062802puke_prv.gif

I NEVER thought I'd like HoW, as I have previously said I am not a big western/early American movie/tv show fan, but this show is just great on every level. If you'd have said before TWD and HoW came out that I'd love HoW and just barely stand TWD I would have thought you were crazy! Maybe I am crazy! wacko.gif But I love this show! applaudit.gif