Skyrim

The_Necromancer_77

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My armor rating is 987 (all legendary Dragonplate made with smithing and enchanting elixirs and smithing gear), but I've read that all the armor in the game actually caps out at 567, so shit, I guess you could have light armor be just as strong and it'd be more useful.

I'm thinking of getting this game because of all of the hype around it (my facebook feed is covered in Skyrim one liners/jokes). My problem is that I don't like RPG's. I loved playing Mass Effect 1/2 and Borderlands and I thought Fable 2 was pretty good. Almost every other RPG I've come across has left me completely bored (Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest games).

Do you guys recommend I pick it up?

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 11 2011, 10:26 AM)
I'm thinking of getting this game because of all of the hype around it (my facebook feed is covered in Skyrim one liners/jokes). My problem is that I don't like RPG's. I loved playing Mass Effect 1/2 and Borderlands and I thought Fable 2 was pretty good. Almost every other RPG I've come across has left me completely bored (Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest games).

greatest game ever made - i haven't had this much fun since baldurs gate - this world is infinite - you could spend 5 months as a fighter then turn around and spend another 5 months as a mage etc...

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 11 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 11 2011, 10:26 AM)

greatest game ever made - i haven't had this much fun since baldurs gate - this world is infinite - you could spend 5 months as a fighter then turn around and spend another 5 months as a mage etc...

I remember Final Fantasy X getting similar praise, I thought it was a steaming turd with good graphics. I understand that it has amazing elements to it, but would you recommend it to a non-RPG fan?

EDIT: I looked at some gameplay videos and there's far too much roaming for my tastes. I'll pass on this. Thanks for your advice.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 11 2011, 02:20 PM)
I looked at some gameplay videos and there's far too much roaming for my tastes.

To much roaming? You mean you like to be funneled into a chute like an animal in a slaughterhouse and told that you can only go here, not there, and you can only do this, not that? unsure.gif This game has the freedom to let you do whatever you want and be whatever you want and still do quests if you want to. Besides, there's nothing like the smell of decapitation in the morning damnit! Ask this biotch, she will tell you. Ok maybe she won't...

http://content.screencast.com/users/bruceandwanda/folders/Jing/media/60156014-bbf1-4660-8602-8e985f380eaa/2011-12-11_2253.png

^Nice. I chopped Nazeem's head off in the middle of Whiterun. "You ever get to the Cloud District?" Talk shit now, bro.

I'm not really a fan of the Japanese style RPGs (FF, Dragonquest) either, but Western RPGs are some of the best games ever. KoToR, Mass Effect, Oblivion.....all classic to me, and no exaggeration, Skyrim is the best one I've ever played. I'd say rent it and give it a shot at least. It's like gaming crack.

I haven't played Skyrim yet as I started playing Oblivian again after a few years and am having fun with it. I will probably get it as a present for xmas. Anyway I read about this and was wondering if anyone had run across the darkness returns quest?

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/detai...fm?newsid=74052

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 11 2011, 11:13 PM)
I looked at some gameplay videos and there's far too much roaming for my tastes.

To much roaming? You mean you like to be funneled into a chute like an animal in a slaughterhouse and told that you can only go here, not there, and you can only do this, not that? unsure.gif This game has the freedom to let you do whatever you want and be whatever you want and still do quests if you want to. Besides, there's nothing like the smell of decapitation in the morning damnit! Ask this biotch, she will tell you. Ok maybe she won't...

*pic cut*

Not what I mean. By too much roaming, I mean there are 5+ minute gaps between significant bits of action in the videos I saw. Sure, you fight a wolf and some enemies here and there but the world is just TOO massive for my tastes (this is the same reason why I couldn't finish Read Dead Redemption). I played borderlands and I had something like 10 quests going simultaneously and I could do whatever I wanted with that. I felt that Borderlands had the proper sized world, but the areas needed to be more interconnected. GTA4 is a lot of fun too in terms of free roaming and Mass Effect 2 was the best non-linear game I've ever played. I find games like Skyrim require too much immersion to be played for 30 minute intervals and shut off without detracting from the experience.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 12 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 11 2011, 11:13 PM)

*pic cut*

Not what I mean. By too much roaming, I mean there are 5+ minute gaps between significant bits of action in the videos I saw. Sure, you fight a wolf and some enemies here and there but the world is just TOO massive for my tastes (this is the same reason why I couldn't finish Read Dead Redemption). I played borderlands and I had something like 10 quests going simultaneously and I could do whatever I wanted with that. I felt that Borderlands had the proper sized world, but the areas needed to be more interconnected. GTA4 is a lot of fun too in terms of free roaming and Mass Effect 2 was the best non-linear game I've ever played. I find games like Skyrim require too much immersion to be played for 30 minute intervals and shut off without detracting from the experience.

Nah man, this one ain't for you then. If you tried to play this game for 30 mins. at a time it would probably take you 3 years to even get close to finishing just the storyline, much less all the other side quests. laugh.gif This one is for peeps that want a nice, long, impressive, full game play experience for ages.

I have already logged over 200 hours in this thing and have like 15 regular quests and another 10 miscellaneous quests going at the same time. Which is exactly the reason I got this game. I was tired of the usual bullshit of playing a game for 5 days and saying 'ok that was sorta fun, next!' No, I was craving for something close to this type of experience where I could settle in for months if I wanted to and take my time.

And this is coming from someone who usually doesn't play games like these. I'm more a first person shooter gamer, although the closest I came to something like Skyrim was playing Age of Conan a few years ago, but that game was somewhat limited in size and storyline. But anyway, playing this game 30 mins. at a time won't do you justice, it'll just make you feel like you need another 3 hours to even get rolling good. That's why people say it's so hard to put down once they get started.

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Dec 12 2011, 02:42 PM)
I haven't played Skyrim yet as I started playing Oblivian again after a few years and am having fun with it. I will probably get it as a present for xmas. Anyway I read about this and was wondering if anyone had run across the darkness returns quest?

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/detai...fm?newsid=74052

Haven't seen that one yet but I have read about it in the Skyrim wiki...

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Darkness_Returns