04 - Best Song From 2112

453 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think is the best song from this album? (1257 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think is the best song from this album?

1. 2112 (940 votes [74.54%])

Percentage of vote: 74.54%

2. A Passage to Bangkok (108 votes [8.56%])

Percentage of vote: 8.56%

3. The Twilight Zone (38 votes [3.01%])

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

4. Lessons (38 votes [3.01%])

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

5. Tears (46 votes [3.65%])

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

6. Something for Nothing (91 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:28 AM

The title track is landmark and legendary.  There can be no other choice, imo.  2112 is historic.  Side 2 is just gravy - and damn good gravy at that!!!   laugh.gif Not a bad song on side 2 - they just can't touch #1.

I still miss that old Mercury record label.  I mean, the actual picture on the label of the 2112 album.  Anyone have it?

Sponsored Post

#62 rickyrob

rickyrob

From Russia...With Love

• Members *
  • 8414 posts
  • Interests:Football, Ice Hockey, Fantasy Sports Leagues, Astronomy, Films, Photography, Travel.

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 5 2005, 11:28 AM)
The title track is landmark and legendary.  There can be no other choice, imo.  2112 is historic.  Side 2 is just gravy - and damn good gravy at that!!!   laugh.gif Not a bad song on side 2 - they just can't touch #1.

I still miss that old Mercury record label.  I mean, the actual picture on the label of the 2112 album.  Anyone have it?

I haven't the picture label of 2112, but I do have the Hemispheres one. My FTK album has the Mercury label with the skyscraper on it, all the rest of the early albums are the regular blue Mercury labels.

#63 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 5 2005, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 5 2005, 11:28 AM)
The title track is landmark and legendary.  There can be no other choice, imo.  2112 is historic.  Side 2 is just gravy - and damn good gravy at that!!!   laugh.gif Not a bad song on side 2 - they just can't touch #1.

I still miss that old Mercury record label.  I mean, the actual picture on the label of the 2112 album.  Anyone have it?

I haven't the picture label of 2112, but I do have the Hemispheres one. My FTK album has the Mercury label with the skyscraper on it, all the rest of the early albums are the regular blue Mercury labels.

Yeah it's the label with the skyscraper.  At least, that's what my copy of 2112 has.  I would love to get some .jpg files of the various vinyl labels.  Would be kewl. cool.gif  

#64 yyz

yyz

To make a long story short...

• Members *
  • 2384 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:04 PM

#65 Each Another's Audience

Each Another's Audience

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:33 AM

'Something For Nothing'. The most conservative song that Neil has ever written. Not saying that that was his intent, but that's what I get from it.

I've argued before with someone who interpreted the song as you do.  Let's just say I disagree about it being a "conservative" song.  Neil's lyrics don't strike me as conservative, politically or otherwise.  There is, however, one lyric I can think of which might be construed that way (perhaps "Anthem" should be the "most conservative song"):

"...and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more."  (A 'bleeding heart' Liberal endlessly looking for a handout?)

#66 esmeralda

esmeralda

Cinderella in wooden shoes

• Members
  • 4315 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:59 AM

2112 for me...

#67 sfuentes

sfuentes

Currently listening to...

• Members *
  • 6769 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Each Another's Audience @ Jan 7 2005, 09:33 PM)
'Something For Nothing'. The most conservative song that Neil has ever written. Not saying that that was his intent, but that's what I get from it.

I've argued before with someone who interpreted the song as you do.  Let's just say I disagree about it being a "conservative" song.  Neil's lyrics don't strike me as conservative, politically or otherwise.  There is, however, one lyric I can think of which might be construed that way (perhaps "Anthem" should be the "most conservative song"):

"...and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more."  (A 'bleeding heart' Liberal endlessly looking for a handout?)

Rush's songs rarely, if at all, have to do with politics.

#68 Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey

The Gun Crank

• 22063 posts
  • Interests:Studying Scripture, movies, reading, military history, target shooting, drums and percussion, temperate, jungle, desert, arctic, and urban survival, saltwater fishing, playing with and training my dogs Sam and River, prepping and tactical training.

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

Of course, there's a lot to be said for the title track.....  wink.gif  

#69 giantsv

giantsv

The Seeker

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 19 2004, 11:26 PM)
I guess it is all subjective, but everyone is reading this as "Their favorite song" , rather than "Best song"...I am guilty of this too for other albums. But....2112 is by far the best song, which I voted for. My favorite song right now is Tears. It was, and is an unlikely Rush song. It is quieter than most..relationship oriented..and it is a very lovely song...structured quite nicely.

I agree with you, the best song is 2112. my favorite song on there right now is something for nothing. For some reason when i hear it now I crank it up.

Tears is very good wrote by Geddy I might add

#70 yiovis

yiovis

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums
    Listen to RUSH

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:32 AM

2112!      like all the others trink39.gif  

#71 Trance

Trance

AeonFlux kick

• Members *
  • 5973 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:37 PM

2112.... Tears falling in second for me.. I just really like the song  smile.gif  

#72 Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

It can only be 2112 really cant it?

#73 frouse

frouse

The Seeker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:music, sports...

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:49 PM

Hello!!!!!!!!! I love the whole album. It;s one of the best ones I've ever heard! Every song by Rush is unique, that's why it's hard to point to the best one.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#74 Let The Fray Begin

Let The Fray Begin

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:58 AM

I bought this album for 2112, and I still believe its the second best Rush song they made in the 70s, behind By-Tor... but I'm a biggest fan of their 80s work, so smile.gif

#75 cla2112

cla2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Family, Sex, Rush

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:21 PM

2112 2.gif  

#76 Mustard Death

Mustard Death

*Explodes*

• Members *
  • 5669 posts
  • Interests:life.

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

A Passage to Bangkok!

#77 fountain of lamnEthan

fountain of lamnEthan

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

2112 new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#78 SheriffJohnBrown

SheriffJohnBrown

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Musik, obviously! Prog, rock, funk, metal, jazz, classical, etc., and etc.

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

Tears. Such a beautiful song.

2112 is great - but, I have to admit, it sort of loses flow after Syrinx.

#79 defrushfan01

defrushfan01

Making Modern Music

• Members *
  • 2735 posts
  • Interests:Music, Music, Music, Music.... Listing to music, playing music, recording music. Music plays a big part in my day to day life, if theres no music, life is dull.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:55 AM

I really like the whole album but tears and lessons, but other than that its great

2.gif  Rocks

AlexFinal.gif      NeilFinal.gif     GeddyFinal.gif

Edited by defrushfan01, 22 April 2005 - 07:17 AM.

#80 DrumDragon

DrumDragon

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 23 2004, 10:26 PM)
What do you think is the best song from this album?

[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=red] scared.gif Now the great epic 2112 is incredible no doubt but....... Twighlight zone is picked because of the Rush made the song feel as if it was part of the show. the music is strange and spooky!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users