Led Zeppelin 4th album

Silas Lang

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 8 2011, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Nov 8 2011, 02:44 PM)
Overplayed?  Certainly, but for a reason.  It is one of the few perfect albums made.  Start to finish, every song is great, and the range of music is tremendous.

You can't blame the album for radio stations or fans decisions to overplay it. The album is what it is, and hasn't changed since 1971.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Nov 8 2011, 08:04 PM)
^^^I agree Treeduck. When some people claim it's their 5th or 6th best album because it's so overplayed, that just doesnt make any sense to me.

Yeah those people need to think back to what they thought of it the first time they heard it. Instead of saying oh well now that I've heard it 17 zillion times on the radio I hate it. They also need to learn how to use the tuning dial...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 8 2011, 06:09 PM)
^^^I agree Treeduck. When some people claim it's their 5th or 6th best album because it's so overplayed, that just doesnt make any sense to me.

Yeah those people need to think back to what they thought of it the first time they heard it. Instead of saying oh well now that I've heard it 17 zillion times on the radio I hate it. They also need to learn how to use the tuning dial...

One time when I was doing my radio show, I played the first few seconds of Stairway to Heaven, then I turned it off and went on the air and said "just kidding." That was my nod to the song being hideously overplayed for decades, and that it certainly didn't need to be played again, even at my itty bitty little station.

Just because the song has been overplayed to death doesn't mean it isn't still a brilliant song, and the album is still brilliant whether you've heard it 1 time or 1 zillion.

A single perfect sphere:

http://eil.com/Gallery/424169b.jpg

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 8 2011, 05:32 PM)

One time when I was doing my radio show, I played the first few seconds of Stairway to Heaven, then I turned it off and went on the air and said "just kidding." That was my nod to the song being hideously overplayed for decades, and that it certainly didn't need to be played again, even at my itty bitty little station.

Just because the song has been overplayed to death doesn't mean it isn't still a brilliant song, and the album is still brilliant whether you've heard it 1 time or 1 zillion.

A single perfect sphere:

http://eil.com/Gallery/424169b.jpg

I remember that show you ass! laugh.gif

I remember buying it at the local record store with some Christmas $ not long after it came out. So, I suppose that was late Dec. '71. I was 15 at the time. God I'm old. old.gif A true and incredible classic. Grossly overplayed by radio but that shouldn't take away from its brilliance.

Unfortunately didn't get to see them until '77.

Edited by driventotheedge

I bought the album in my senior year of high school which was Fall 1986. that was when I started collecting Led Zeppelin albums.

That was the first one I got. The second and third, which I bought together, was Houses of the Holy and In through the Out Door.

I decided that I liked Led Zeppelin I better than II.

Great album, but not my fave. I'll give that to Physical Graffiti. Battle Of Evermore mars it a bit for me. Not a fan of the mandolin. Still, it's a standard - bearer from the early '70's. My musical interests seen to start around the brink of 1970 ( 1st era of heavier bands), so, yeah, this is one of the early examples I use as a yardstick to measure against.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 8 2011, 08:32 PM)

The only time I ever hear 'Stairway' is whenever I listen to the entire album and it's a magical ride of sheer perfection whose power to amaze and delight remains undiminished. It's still quite an adrenalin rush and my personal favorite Zep song from what I would consider their best album.

'Carouselambra' is fantastic too btw.