Food quirks

Janie

Do you have unique ways to eat food or have a habit of preparing something that isn't the "norm."

I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

Here are a few of mine...

I rarely indulge in potato chips but when I do, I will ONLY eat the ones that are stuck together or folded in half on themselves.

I eat a slice of pizza by starting in on the back right crust corner and eat the right side up to the top and then keep eating at a horizontal pattern. Honestly, I have no idea why I do this. All I know is I've always eaten pizza slices this way.

I will only eat mashed potatoes slathered in ketchup.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to some foods. (I can hear the sarcastic gasps)

When I eat little things like M&Ms or Skittles, I will separate them into colors and then eat them in order: 1 red, 1 orange, 1 green, etc. until they are all gone. If I have an uneven number, I eat the leftovers first.

I must have the perfect ratio of butter or margarine and sugar in my oatmeal. However long it takes - I have a microwave.

When I eat chips or such, I will eat the smallest pieces first. From bits to broken chips to the "perfect" ones. No idea at all why I do this.

I actually like Spam... as long as it's fried or grilled and with ketchup.

If I have a burger and fries, I eat all the fries first. Likewise, if I've got a salad with chicken or steak on it, I eat the salad part first and the meat last.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 8 2011, 06:40 AM)
If I have a burger and fries, I eat all the fries first. Likewise, if I've got a salad with chicken or steak on it, I eat the salad part first and the meat last.

HA!

This reminds me of another quirk while eating. I actually have to take an equal number of bites of everything so that I'm left with the same items on my plate until the very end.

I'm sure I have others but one that comes to my mind is that I often like french fries a little burned.

And many times I eat french fries with yellow mustard.

I tend to eat only white meat chicken (breast) but I know I waste a good portion of it because if I can't bite into it, I am done with it. I don't like to "navigate" my way through the bones into all the meat.

I tend to sip coffee. Rare do I "drink" or "gulp" it.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 8 2011, 08:36 AM)
see:
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=69864

tongue.gif

I prefer certain things well done (not steak!!)
smoky flavor of slightly burnt popcorn
smoky flavor of slightly burnt pretzels
extra crispy hash browns

I was kind of thinking the two threads were different. I thought that was more for just odd things people ate. not funny ways of eating things.

Like, why did you eat octopus salad!?

vs

When I eat octopus salad, I have to eat the tentacles first.

Oh, another thing I do:

If I have a burger, I put a generous amount of ketchup on the burger itself. Then I have another puddle of ketchup on the plate, into which I dunk the burger before each bite. Ketchup overload.

*If it's a really, really top-quality burger, I don't do this. It's a practice reserved only for the standard everyday burgers.

I do not like any of my food to touch the other foods on the plate. Everything has to have it's own little area.

Except on Thanksgiving, don't know why it's ok on this day but it is.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 8 2011, 10:53 AM)

I was kind of thinking the two threads were different. I thought that was more for just odd things people ate. not funny ways of eating things.

Like, why did you eat octopus salad!?

vs

When I eat octopus salad, I have to eat the tentacles first.

Gotcha, like when I make sloppy joes, I have to have corn niblets so I can put then in the sammich with some homemade veggie dip. smile.gif

When I eat a pizza, I start off with the crust first then make my way to the epicenter of it.

I have the same problem with the M&M's.

For some reason, I will eat something sweet first followed by something sour, ie, a KitKat then a packet of potato chips.

For some other reason, I tend to eat all of whatever's on the plate - all the potatoes, then the carrots, then the peas... Y'know...

Either it's me, or I'm cracking up.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 8 2011, 09:40 AM)
Oh, another thing I do:

If I have a burger, I put a generous amount of ketchup on the burger itself. Then I have another puddle of ketchup on the plate, into which I dunk the burger before each bite. Ketchup overload.

*If it's a really, really top-quality burger, I don't do this. It's a practice reserved only for the standard everyday burgers.

I have found my long lost ketchup sister!!

I do the exact same thing. I have been known to empty an entire bottle of ketchup on one burger.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 8 2011, 10:11 AM)
I do not like any of my food to touch the other foods on the plate. Everything has to have it's own little area.

Except on Thanksgiving, don't know why it's ok on this day but it is.

I've known a few people with this food quirk. I'm curious as to how you feel about casseroles, stews, etc then?

I'm not sure how to eat a fajita. For all I know, I eat it correctly. I take the pita (or whatever it's called), spread the sour cream on it with a knife, put the chicken, steak or whatever on it with the sprinkled cheese and salsa, then I roll it tight and shove it in my mouth and eat it like a wrap.

My mother has been known to take a bottle of soy sauce with her to steakhouses. After she went to Hawaii, which is where she had steak with soy sauce, she prefers that over things like A-1 or Heinz 57 sauce.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 8 2011, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 8 2011, 09:40 AM)
Oh, another thing I do: 

If I have a burger, I put a generous amount of ketchup on the burger itself.  Then I have another puddle of ketchup on the plate, into which I dunk the burger before each bite.  Ketchup overload.

*If it's a really, really top-quality burger, I don't do this.  It's a practice reserved only for the standard everyday burgers.

I have found my long lost ketchup sister!!

I do the exact same thing. I have been known to empty an entire bottle of ketchup on one burger.

It makes for a messy (but rewarding) dining experience.

My husband & I can go through one of those institutional-sized jugs of Heinz in 2 weeks. In the days when I ate at McD's once or twice a week, they hated me because I kept asking for more ketchup. (What IS it with McD's and the ketchup stinginess? "Extra ketchup" always translates into "two packets instead of one", and when you persist, they look at you as if you'd requested one of their corneas. I'm sorry, but two packets will not begin to address the ketchup needs presented by a QP with cheese and a medium-sized order of fries).

I do tend to rip and eat the the crust first off of a pizza, because it is the best part. But I don't do that in public. Then it is knife and fork - pizza tends to last longer that way and I eat less.

I have to peel a grapefruit and eat a grapefruit per segment, rip it open and eat the pulp middle and forget about the ______. what is it, a case, peel, wrapper, membrane?! - I don't know. I can't eat a half grapefruit with a spoon - ew!

All the chocolate off a snickers bar has to be nibbled off the sides first, then the ends, and then I can start on the rest of it. Same with KitKats.

that reminds me. When I eat an apple, I tend to eat the perimeter of the apple so it looks like a ring of bites down the middle. Then I eat the rest along one side, then the other side.

When eating pizza, I eat the pointy part to about halfway in with a knife and fork, then pick it up.

When eating oatmeal, I keep turning the bowl around and around, eating from the edge to the center as I do.

When eating Pop-Tarts, I have to eat one end, then the two sides, then the middle, and finish with the other end that I've been holding onto.

I don't like my food to touch either. Loved sectioned plates as a kid. Yet I have no problem with casseroles.

Food has to be really terrible to get left on the plate. I rarely leave even a crumb, much to the dismay of my cats, who like to lick the plate. Sometimes I will purposefully leave a few bits and some sauce/gravy, but it bugs me until they eat it.

Will let you know if I think of others!

QUOTE (librarian @ Nov 8 2011, 04:31 PM)
All the chocolate off a snickers bar has to be nibbled off the sides first, then the ends, and then I can start on the rest of it. Same with KitKats.

When I eat a Reese's Cup, I ONLY eat the perimeter. I like my chocolate to pb ratio to be heavier on the chocolate. The center is just pb with a flimsy paper thin layer of chocolate on top and bottom.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 8 2011, 07:15 PM)
When eating pizza, I eat the pointy part to about halfway in with a knife and fork, then pick it up.

When eating oatmeal, I keep turning the bowl around and around, eating from the edge to the center as I do.

When eating Pop-Tarts, I have to eat one end, then the two sides, then the middle, and finish with the other end that I've been holding onto.

I don't like my food to touch either. Loved sectioned plates as a kid. Yet I have no problem with casseroles.

Food has to be really terrible to get left on the plate. I rarely leave even a crumb, much to the dismay of my cats, who like to lick the plate. Sometimes I will purposefully leave a few bits and some sauce/gravy, but it bugs me until they eat it.

Will let you know if I think of others!

rofl3.gif

WOW to everything.

You got some serious food quirks! Those were awesome, particularly the oatmeal.