last movie you watched

sonicjams

Double Feature Friday

1948s Bicycle Thieves

Hailed by some as one of the greatest films of all time ... Critics like to toss around gaudy terms like "post war neorealism" - this was a good movie, for sure, but I felt that, two scenes in particular, it failed to achieve what might have been ..... All time ?? .. not in my book, but a very good movie nonetheless

Screen_Shot_2013-02-11_at_15.45.00.png

1966's Red Angel

I was not really prepared for this one ... Told from the perspective of a nurse on the front lines in 1939 .. A dramatic masterpiece that is brutally honest and unflinching ... No glorifying the insanity of war in this one

http://asianwiki.com/images/a/a3/Red_Angel.jpg

• Like 1

Raise The Red Lantern

TF, what did you think ??

I love it .. it's in that top tier of films for me ... The first time I saw it, the ending threw me - it wasn;t what I was expecting, and it didn;t seem to fit .. But after a second viewing, it did seem fitting

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

L'avventura ... the second time for me, with about 20 years in between ... I thought it was great the first time around, and nothing has changed - in fact, it left even more of an impression ...

There really is no single GOAT as far as films, but L'Avventure is in that category - a masterpiece and there's nothing else like it

http://www.louisettelibrirari.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/20141104_172518.jpg

next up

1971's The House That Vanished

File this under very very good, but oh, what could have been .... The new blu ray from Dark Force is the best this film has looked, but apparently, for whatever reason, and entire scene was cut - a critical scene to boot .... I'll have to hunt down the old VHS to get the entire movie ..

Some lapses in common sense, but this one has a kick ass first 15 minutes and a good ending

And some of the most colorful characters in recent memory

7b0b71f50fb7c1d43b22b2d31acabe3a.jpg

The Revenant.

Damn, that scene where DiCaprio's character is attacked by the bear.

That entire movie is painful to watch. Cold and painful.

The Revenant.

I became interested in the source, went on my library systems website and ordered Michael Punke's book for loan.

The Revenant.

I became interested in the source, went on my library systems website and ordered Michael Punke's book for loan.

Bundle up.

• Like 1

Bad_Times_at_the_El_Royale.png

The first two thirds is excellent film-making, but the resolution that makes up the final third is too predictable and drawn out. A shame, really, because the film is full of great performances. Being a NorNev resident, seeing homage to the iconic the Cal-Neva Hotel was great fun. Worth the price of admission for that alone.

http://snowbrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/20130908CalNevaRatPack.jpg

6a010536b86d36970c019aff59f08f970b-800wi.jpg

cal%20neva%20hours%20view%20room.jpg

• Like 2

The single least scary shark film I've ever seen. And this is coming from someone who saw Jaws 3 in 3D in the theater!! Just a cheesy, silly movie.

meg2-890x500.jpg

Blow Up ... Level: GOAT

blowup-23412-33574-1512009319-1280-1280.jpg

.. and a pretty darn good one in 2001's Sorum

Another incredible performance from a female lead .. Jang Jin Yeoung carried this movie, and two years later portrayed a woman stricken with stomach cancer in a film called Scent Of Love - tragicly, and ironically, in 2009 Jin herself died of stomach cancer at the age of 35 ...

71ttMYVrWgL._SX342_.jpg