Jump to content


last movie you watched


  • Please log in to reply
14556 replies to this topic

#14501 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6392 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Dead Man Walking.  I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized.  Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Beating out Cage in Leaving Las Vegas? Yeah, I’d go with that.

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”
I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

Sponsored Post

#14502 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 31036 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:59 PM

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Dead Man Walking.  I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized.  Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Beating out Cage in Leaving Las Vegas? Yeah, I’d go with that.

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”
I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

DMW, Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are all “A” or “A+” movies for me.

Then there’s his early stuff like Taps and Bad Boys (not the Will Smith nonsense) that are good too.

#14503 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 11363 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

View PostStormtron, on 04 February 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 04 February 2018 - 02:27 AM, said:

Sometimes expectations can spoil a film, but in the case of The Wailing, I think my disappointment is justified ..

What could have been . . . . a beautifull shot, sometimes incredible let down ... Comedic overtones, ritualistic murders and the devil himself don;t mix ..

Posted Image

Aw man, sorry you didn't like that one. I loved it.

I will watch it again Storm  .. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, but I was disappointed overall  ..

.. and I didn't mean that the letdown was incredible .. I meant that it was the film was, at times, incredibly good .. Some of the camera work was outstanding ..

But ... for example:

Spoiler

Edited by Lucas, 06 February 2018 - 11:13 PM.


#14504 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 8944 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

I expected NOTHING from this film, but quite enjoyed it:

Posted Image

#14505 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

View PostLucas, on 06 February 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 04 February 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 04 February 2018 - 02:27 AM, said:

Sometimes expectations can spoil a film, but in the case of The Wailing, I think my disappointment is justified ..

What could have been . . . . a beautifull shot, sometimes incredible let down ... Comedic overtones, ritualistic murders and the devil himself don;t mix ..

Posted Imagep

Aw man, sorry you didn't like that one. I loved it.

I will watch it again Storm  .. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, but I was disappointed overall  ..

.. and I didn't mean that the letdown was incredible .. I meant that it was the film was, at times, incredibly good .. Some of the camera work was outstanding ..

But ... for example:

Spoiler

I can see that. There is quite the tonal shift in this movie. :lol: I usually like that for some reason.

#14506 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 17291 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Dead Man Walking.  I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized.  Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Beating out Cage in Leaving Las Vegas? Yeah, I’d go with that.

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”
I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

DMW, Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are all “A” or “A+” movies for me.

Then there’s his early stuff like Taps and Bad Boys (not the Will Smith nonsense) that are good too.

Falcon And The Snowman, Casualties Of War and  At Close Range are other good early ones of his.  Wish MJ Fox did more drama because he was good in that rare serious role in Casualties.

Posted Image

#14507 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 31036 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 07 February 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Dead Man Walking.  I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized.  Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Beating out Cage in Leaving Las Vegas? Yeah, I’d go with that.

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”
I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

DMW, Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are all “A” or “A+” movies for me.

Then there’s his early stuff like Taps and Bad Boys (not the Will Smith nonsense) that are good too.

Falcon And The Snowman, Casualties Of War and  At Close Range are other good early ones of his.  Wish MJ Fox did more drama because he was good in that rare serious role in Casualties.

Posted Image
I missed Falcon and the Snowman and At Close Range.
I saw Casualties of War but didn’t like it too much. I didn’t think Fox or Penn were good for those roles, I’m not saying they were bad though

#14508 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6392 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 February 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 07 February 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 February 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Dead Man Walking.  I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized.  Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Beating out Cage in Leaving Las Vegas? Yeah, I’d go with that.

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”
I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

DMW, Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are all “A” or “A+” movies for me.

Then there’s his early stuff like Taps and Bad Boys (not the Will Smith nonsense) that are good too.

Falcon And The Snowman, Casualties Of War and  At Close Range are other good early ones of his.  Wish MJ Fox did more drama because he was good in that rare serious role in Casualties.

Posted Image

I missed Falcon and the Snowman and At Close Range.
I saw Casualties of War but didn’t like it too much. I didn’t think Fox or Penn were good for those roles, I’m not saying they were bad though

At Close Range is very dark and disturbing but it's because Sean Penn is again, really good in it.  I had seen that one so long ago I had forgotten about it.  I remember liking his acting in The Falcon and The Snowman, but I also remember feeling like the writing didn't hold up or something; again so long ago I can't remember the exact details.  I'll have to try to see that one again.

#14509 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 17291 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

Posted Image

#14510 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10763 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

The title is very appropriate.  Immensely dramatic, intense, saddening, and hostile.  Great scenery and great performances - especially by Rosamund Pike.   A bit slow-paced in some spots, and a bit predictable in others, but overall, I give it a solid Upvote.  :ebert:  

Only for audiences who don't mind having their emotions bludgeoned.  :o


Posted Image

#14511 Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey

    The Gun Crank

  • Moderator
  • 22232 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The firing line.
  • Interests:Studying Scripture, movies, reading, military history, target shooting, drums and percussion, temperate, jungle, desert, arctic, and urban survival, saltwater fishing, playing with and training my dogs Sam and River, prepping and tactical training.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

Gotham By Gaslight, a really good "what if?" Batman story with a super-cool twist.

#14512 Rushman14

Rushman14

    Mr. Hollywood

  • Members *
  • 11207 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

excellent if you are a fan of the original

Posted Image

#14513 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 11363 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

1960 French masterpiece Eyes Without A Face ... A case could be made for 1960 being the greatest year ever for horror films

Posted Image

- Eyes Without A Face
- Psycho
- Peeping Tom
- The Housemaid
- Black Sunday
- Jigoku
- The Virgin Spring

These films ushered in the era of modern horror


#14514 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 7280 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

Richard III (Olivier version)

#14515 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10763 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

Still one of the best superhero films ever made. :haz:


Posted Image


And I don't care about the bad press that she gets.  Gwyneth Paltrow is so smoking hot in this film..... :drool:

Edited by Principled Man, 11 February 2018 - 05:30 PM.


#14516 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 19826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Kill Bill and it sucked!!!

#14517 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 31036 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 11 February 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

Still one of the best superhero films ever made. :haz:


Posted Image


And I don't care about the bad press that she gets.  Gwyneth Paltrow is so smoking hot in this film..... :drool:

Yup, it is!

And yeah, she is!

#14518 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 31036 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 11 February 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Kill Bill and it sucked!!!

I fell asleep in part 2. I wish I fell asleep in part 1!

#14519 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10763 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Upgraded my Blu-ray player from a mediocre Samsung (with a remote better suited for Hobbit hands) to a far superior Sony (with a real remote).

..... so I just had to watch Interstellar again.   :haz: :haz:

#14520 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 17291 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:51 PM

 liquidcrystalcompass, on 11 February 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Kill Bill and it sucked!!!

You spelled Death Proof wrong.  Oddly enough, Quentin hates that movie.

Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users