14829 replies to this topic

#14101 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11818 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:01 AM

Posted Image

I first saw Body Double back in the mid 80s one late night .. I had watched it a few times over the years on VHS that I had taped from Cinemax, and I watched it tonight on blu ray .. The first time I've seen it since replacing the VCR with the DVD player 20 years ago ..

I still love this film, probably even more now .... It is trashy, not trash, and Brian DePalma is a filmmaker with chops way too good to be making a film like this - which makes it all the better ..

In true DePalma tradition, there is a 15 minute sequence in the middle of the film with very little dialog and some absolutely gripping suspense and amazing camera work ...

And just when you think you can exhale and reset yourself, DePalma throws in Frankie Goes To Hollywood ..

A film that borders, and even crosses over to the ridiculous and it is does with such style, the over the top element only serves to make it better ..

Sponsored Post

#14102 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 18308 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostLucas, on 29 October 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

I first saw Body Double back in the mid 80s one late night .. I had watched it a few times over the years on VHS that I had taped from Cinemax, and I watched it tonight on blu ray .. The first time I've seen it since replacing the VCR with the DVD player 20 years ago ..

I still love this film, probably even more now .... It is trashy, not trash, and Brian DePalma is a filmmaker with chops way too good to be making a film like this - which makes it all the better ..

In true DePalma tradition, there is a 15 minute sequence in the middle of the film with very little dialog and some absolutely gripping suspense and amazing camera work ...

And just when you think you can exhale and reset yourself, DePalma throws in Frankie Goes To Hollywood ..

A film that borders, and even crosses over to the ridiculous and it is does with such style, the over the top element only serves to make it better ..

Funny how you mentioned taping it.  My first viewing was a decade ago when I taped it off the Showtime version of Cinemax, The Movie Channel.  Great spot on review.  One of my favorite twist endings ever in any movie.

#14103 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11818 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:34 AM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 29 October 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

Funny how you mentioned taping it.  My first viewing was a decade ago when I taped it off the Showtime version of Cinemax, The Movie Channel.  Great spot on review.  One of my favorite twist endings ever in any movie.

It's one of those movies that just seemed to be impossible to find on DVD ... or video, from what I remember ..

I still have my Cinemax'd VHS copy of it from 1985 - with the white label and my handwriting in pen trying to make it look official :lol:

#14104 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58295 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostLucas, on 29 October 2017 - 12:43 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 23 October 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

More on Too Funny To Fail:

Some shows are just too odd to be appreciated in their time. That’s a good chunk of the case the loving documentary “Too Funny to Fail,” about the 1996 sketch series “The Dana Carvey Show,” lays out, through interviews and impressively amassed archival footage. For a show in which a faux Bill Clinton nurses puppies and kittens from a gruesome teat-covered prosthetic, the question is not, how did it get canceled? It’s, how did it ever make it to ABC in the first place?

https://www.nytimes....eview-hulu.html

what fantastic bad taste :lol:
:yes:

They do this bit, "Grandma the Clown", which is both excruciating and hilarious.

#14105 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 101361 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Posted Image

Just finished it, pretty good.

#14106 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

• Members
  • 18308 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Posted Image

#14107 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

Tomorrowland

#14108 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1800 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

Posted Image

#14109 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21897 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

Heaven Is For Real. Sweet movie with a few tearjerker moments.

#14110 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 11467 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

2 hours of Keanu kicking ass. And I liked it.

Posted Image

#14111 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

• Members
  • 18308 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image

#14112 Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey

The Gun Crank

• 22300 posts
  • Interests:Studying Scripture, movies, reading, military history, target shooting, drums and percussion, temperate, jungle, desert, arctic, and urban survival, saltwater fishing, playing with and training my dogs Sam and River, prepping and tactical training.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Bushwick. It was all right. Dave Bautista's performance is really good.

#14113 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

• Members
  • 18308 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

Posted Image

#14114 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21897 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostRushman14, on 31 October 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

2 hours of Keanu kicking ass. And I liked it.

Posted Image

I thought the action sequences were pretty amazing. It was like watching a live video game.

#14115 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19048 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image

I just watched this movie for the first time. I loved it. I found it so intentionally over the top and as a result it's incredibly entertaining. Good stuff.

#14116 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31685 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

View PostReRushed, on 01 November 2017 - 01:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

I just watched this movie for the first time. I loved it. I found it so intentionally over the top and as a result it's incredibly entertaining. Good stuff.

http://www.therushfo...ctober-26-1984/

#14117 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

By-Tor on the Bayou

• Members
  • 19474 posts
  • Interests:Musical interludes

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy

... Movember is back ... time to catch up on movies again and I am waaay behind. I have Netflix now and the Bose system is firing on all 7.1 cylinders.

#14118 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 82080 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

Halloween II (2009)
Shrooms
Purge: Election Night

#14119 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 82080 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

Clown Kill aka Locked In

#14120 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31685 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

A bit disappointed by this. I can't blame it on hype either as there is no hype for this movie where I am.

The bad:
Spoiler

The good:
Spoiler

It's still better than Thor 2 but not as enjoyable as Thor 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users