last movie you watched

sonicjams

X-Men: Apocalypse.

Overcrowded. Character motivations are sudden and senseless for some. Character depictions from comic to screen are way off in many cases. A few good fight scenes and visuals are nowhere near enough to make this enjoyable. Final battle scene is unsatisfying. Best point--Fassbender as Magneto. Grade: D+

The entire franchise has been going downhill since the first movie.

In a message I sent treeduck this morning, I ranked and graded them like this...

X2: A-

Days of Future Past: B+

X1: B-

First Class: C+

Apocalypse: D+

X3: F

That'd give an overall X-Men GPA of 2.22 (between a C to C+), and that's not good given the wealth of prime source material.

I didn't care for Days of Future Past myself. I thought it was kind of weak, so to me it would be even lower, maybe a B- or a C.

Yeah, it definitely had some weaknesses...the biggest weakness for me being Jennifer Lawrence. She's just not convincing as Mystique imho. Naturally, the original comic story which I read as an 8 year old back in '80 is better done, darker, but not as complicated as the movie. But I think the movie balanced the characters adequately enough though and didn't dwell too long on the peripheral ones.

But Singer and the other directors still haven't made a completely satisfying X-Men movie to me. How can there be 6 of these films and not one has Cyclops as a central character? He is to the X-Men as Captain America is to the Avengers.

Still though, your B- or C grading isn't THAT bad of a mark.

No it's not. I didn't dislike it that much but it could have been better. I should have said first two movies because like you, I rate them the highest. I also agree about Cyclops. Though I don't like James Marsden in the role. He doesn't seem to be manly enough or something.

:LOL: I was going to mention him but I forgot his name. My brain was thinking "John Mason...Marshton...Jim Madison...or is it James Mayson...that's it 'James Marshdim'...wait, no it's not. Ah, screw it." :LOL:

But yeah, he seemed a bit off for a reason I can't really pinpoint.

Too preppy.

Sounds right...though I'm just thinking in the general sense that he seems too soft.

I thought Jim Caviezel as Cyclops could've passed as someone who can put Wolverine/Jackman in his place. He's a bit too old for the role now though.

• Like 1

Suicide Squad

No amount of screen time that Harley Quinn's butt got could save this movie. Harley's character herself started out pretty cool, but grew annoying pretty fast - too many forced one liners and just completely unnecessary cuts of her characteristically improper reactions to events, breaking whatever kind of serious setting the movie is trying to set up. If you're a Harley Quinn fanboi/fangurl (or if you have a simple sense of humor) then you will like this, but otherwise you probably won't. It's almost always the same exact "punch line" with her. If it weren't for this, I would have enjoyed her character a lot more. Leto's Joker, as everyone should have expected, sucked complete shit. The early photo release of his appearance got me adapted and accepting that this would be an ugly, unconventional "gangsta" Joker, but Leto still did such a boring job. There's nothing memorable about this Joker aside from his ridiculous appearance. The soundtrack? They pulled a bunch of classic rock and a few hip hop tracks out of their ass and called it one! Though eventually later on in the movie there was what I think was actually an original score for the action scenes, this was also boring, but at least it wasn't just more random hits. If there was one good thing about this movie it was Deadshot, and since he's the main character next to Harley, this is good. His character is well fleshed out, he has some genuinely funny moments, he's pretty bad ass, and you actually sympathize with the guy.

I didn't go into this movie expecting to hate it, I was expecting at least some fun, but I hardly even got that out of it. It was an okay movie at best, I'm never watching it again. I was dragged into seeing this by my brother, BTW, I'm happy that at least he enjoyed it.

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/suicide-squad-poster.jpg

Suicide Squad

No amount of screen time that Harley Quinn's butt got could save this movie. Harley's character herself started out pretty cool, but grew annoying pretty fast - too many forced one liners and just completely unnecessary cuts of her characteristically improper reactions to events, breaking whatever kind of serious setting the movie is trying to set up. If you're a Harley Quinn fanboi/fangurl (or if you have a simple sense of humor) then you will like this, but otherwise you probably won't. It's almost always the same exact "punch line" with her. If it weren't for this, I would have enjoyed her character a lot more. Leto's Joker, as everyone should have expected, sucked complete shit. The early photo release of his appearance got me adapted and accepting that this would be an ugly, unconventional "gangsta" Joker, but Leto still did such a boring job. There's nothing memorable about this Joker aside from his ridiculous appearance. The soundtrack? They pulled a bunch of classic rock and a few hip hop tracks out of their ass and called it one! Though eventually later on in the movie there was what I think was actually an original score for the action scenes, this was also boring, but at least it wasn't just more random hits. If there was one good thing about this movie it was Deadshot, and since he's the main character next to Harley, this is good. His character is well fleshed out, he has some genuinely funny moments, he's pretty bad ass, and you actually sympathize with the guy.

I didn't go into this movie expecting to hate it, I was expecting at least some fun, but I hardly even got that out of it. It was an okay movie at best, I'm never watching it again. I was dragged into seeing this by my brother, BTW, I'm happy that at least he enjoyed it.

:LOL: But hey, at least you got some positives out of it.

I can't see it as it hasn't hit this country yet. Next month I think.

Before I see it (or not), a few points of my own points...some connected to yours...

- Joker does look like crap, but I do like Leto as an actor

- Killer Croc, a character I'm interested in, looks embarrassing

- the actress who plays Harley Quinn has an ass that I CAN look at for while...she seems like an ok actress at worst but I don't like the character

- I assume Rick Flag will be just part of the support cast even though he should have a greater role

- of all the Will Smith movies I've seen, I've only found him passable in one or two; Deadshot could be an interesting character but his abilities are really all over the place depending on who's writing

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Suicide Squad

Before I see it (or not), a few points of my own points...some connected to yours...

- the actress who plays Harley Quinn has an ass that I CAN look at for while...she seems like an ok actress at worst but I don't like the character

- I assume Rick Flag will be just part of the support cast even though he should have a greater role

- of all the Will Smith movies I've seen, I've only found him passable in one or two; Deadshot could be an interesting character but his abilities are really all over the place depending on who's writing

Leto's admittedly not my favorite actor, but I did find him great in Mr. Nobody and Dallas Buyers Club.

Flag is a major character, it's Croc, Boomerang, Katana, Slipknot, and Diablo who take more of a backseat.

• Like 1

Suicide Squad

Leto's admittedly not my favorite actor, but I did find him great in Mr. Nobody and Dallas Buyers Club.

Flag is a major character, it's Croc, Boomerang, Katana, Slipknot, and Diablo who take more of a backseat.

Good to see that Flag is at least a major character. I'm not too familiar with Boomerang, Katana, Slipknot, and Diablo, just knowing their general abilities.

Yeah, Leto was awesome in Dallas Buyers Club. He also did well in Requiem for a Dream. Haven't seen Mr. Nobody.

Suicide Squad

My score for this film is now much lower than it was initially.

Still excited by Margot Robbie and her potential but she doesn't leave this film unscathed. Everyone involved wasted their time.

But I still like aspects of it.

This is definitely a movie ruined by studio execs. You can tell this has been overcooked.

My wife refused to believe me that I Love You Man was as bad as I said it was, so to satisfy her curiosity I stuck it on....amusing to watch her face go from stunned disbelief to lip-curling contempt lol, and she was forced to admit i was right at the end of it. The "slappin da bass" scene was still as buttock-clenchingly embarrassing as I remember.

My wife refused to believe me that I Love You Man was as bad as I said it was, so to satisfy her curiosity I stuck it on....amusing to watch her face go from stunned disbelief to lip-curling contempt lol, and she was forced to admit i was right at the end of it. The "slappin da bass" scene was still as buttock-clenchingly embarrassing as I remember.

I skipped it. I don't care if it has my favorite band in it. From the clips I've seen, it doesn't look like something I'd find funny.

Matrix Revolutions

For the last 6 months, that movie's been on the sale rack at my neighborhood dvd shop for ¥50. That's about 50 cents. But nobody will buy it. :LOL:

It's not that bad. :LOL:

• Like 1

Matrix Revolutions

For the last 6 months, that movie's been on the sale rack at my neighborhood dvd shop for ¥50. That's about 50 cents. But nobody will buy it. :LOL:

Haven't seen it so I can't say. But it's clearly not good enough to be sold for ¥50. :LOL:

I've tried both Matrix 1 & 2 and both put me to sleep. I can't finish them! :LOL:

The Animatrix is more enjoyable imho.

Dyatlov Pass Incident.

Very Blair Witchy. If you hated Blair Witch, you'll hate this. If you liked Blair Witch (and I did), you still might dislike this (and I did).

It started out okay but it had characters that I couldn't care about. Towards the end it got more and more absurd; I was just hoping for it to finish in any way possible. I can't give it a failing grade because it kept me JUST interested enough to finish it and I wasn't annoyed by any of the actors or dialogue (not that either of those were good though). Still, don't watch this.

Grade: D-

The Jungle Book (2016)

I think this new take on the classic story is the best adaptation yet.

Enchanting and beautiful to look at. Bill Murray as Baloo stole the show in my opinion.

9.5/10

Matrix Revolutions

Haven't seen it so I can't say. But it's clearly not good enough to be sold for ¥50. :LOL:

I've tried both Matrix 1 & 2 and both put me to sleep. I can't finish them! :LOL:

The Animatrix is more enjoyable imho.

Interesting. I saw The Animatrix a few years ago and couldn't tell you a thing about it. I love the first movie, the second one was OK but not nearly as good as the first. The premise of the third movie was too simplistic and wrapped up too quickly. IMO.

The Holiday. I have seen this movie probably seven or eight times and I still love it. A big reason for that is Kate Winslet. I admit I have a bit of a crush. :LOL:
  • Like 1

The Holiday. I have seen this movie probably seven or eight times and I still love it. A big reason for that is Kate Winslet. I admit I have a bit of a crush. :LOL:

I love this film! The entire cast comes together charmingly!

I adore Kate Winslet.

• Like 1

I love this film! The entire cast comes together charmingly!

I adore Kate Winslet.

See? Something else we have in common. :)

• Like 1