Major labels: NO MORE CDs after 2012

REPORT: CD-Format to be Abandoned by Major Labels by the End of 2012

You read it well. The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.

3 weeks ago we heard it for the first time and since then we have tried getting some feedback from EMI, Universal and Sony. All declined to comment.

The news doesn't come as a surprise to those who have been working in the business. In a piece that was published in a q&a with the Alfa Matrix people back in June 2011 in the 1st issue of "Matrix Revelations", our chief editor Bernard Van Isacker said the following when asked if a CD would still exist in 5 years: "Yes, but in a different format. Normal CDs will no longer be available because they don't offer enough value, limited editions on the other hand will remain available and in demand for quite a few more years. I for one buy only limited editions because of the added value they offer: a nice design, extra bonus gadgets, etc. The album as we know it now however will be dead within 5 years, if it isn't even sooner. I predict that downloads will have replaced the CD album within the next 2 years. I don't see that as something negative, it just has run its course, let's leave the space to limited editions (including vinyl runs for bigger acts) and downloads instead."

It's a move that makes completely sense. CD's cost money, even when they don't sell because there is stock storage to be paid; a label also pays money to distributors when CDs get returned to the labels when not sold and so on. In short, abandoning the CD-format will make it possible to just focus on the release and the marketing of it and no longer focus on the distribution (since aggregators will do the work as far as dispatching the releases to services worldwide) and - expensive - stock maintenance. In the long run it will most surely mean the end for many music shops worldwide that only stock and sell CD releases. In the UK for instance HMV has problems paying the labels already and more will follow. It makes the distribution of CDs no longer worth it.

Also Amazon will benefit from this as it will surely become the one and only player when it comes to distribution of the remaining CD productions from labels. Packaged next to regular album downloads via its own Amazon MP3 service it will offer a complimentary service.

The next monument to fall? That will be printed magazines as people will want to consume their information online where they also read most of the news.

What are your feelings? is it a move that you like or not?

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments. ... 80_0_2_0_C

I HATE this idea. I like having the packaging that comes with the CD, and downloads are unreliable and there are sometimes quality issues.

Also, what does someone do if they don't own a computer? There are LOTS of people with CD players, but not computers. Are they SOL? This is b.s.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a problem with abandoning CDs as long as I have the option to download UNCOMPRESSED FILES. As someone who actually gives a shit about sound quality and hates mp3s and WMAs and iTunes files, I still want CD-quality sound. How that sound is delivered to me is irrelevant.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 31 2011, 02:51 PM)
I HATE this idea. I like having the packaging that comes with the CD, and downloads are unreliable and there are sometimes quality issues.

Also, what does someone do if they don't own a computer? There are LOTS of people with CD players, but not computers. Are they SOL? This is b.s.

Good points there. You're making me rethink my previous post a bit. yes.gif

This sucks. Try playing an MP3 format through a good stereo. Plus, when you own a CD, you can copy it as much as you like. When you down load, can you only move it so many times before the file gets locked?

I'm not surprised by this but it's still major news. There aren't many record stores around anymore, at least not in my area. It's much more conveinent to download off the internet weather it's illegal or off of iTunes or some other legit music service.

Music has always progressed to the next level of distrubution. From vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes to CDs it's always evolved with the times. This is the logical next step for them and it's something that's been coming for a few years now.

Some people may not like it but they will get used to the change just like they have in the past. I wasn't too opened to using the internet for my music at first but a few years back a co-worker and my nephew showed me the benefits of it and i'm all for it now.

The days of me wondering through a record store and looking at all the music they had in stock are long gone. It's probably been a good 5 years or so since i've done that. So it's not gonna be that big of a change for me with this new distribution format.

Plus, I don't listen to any actual CDs anymore. All my listening is done on my iPod now. So when I buy new CDs they just sit their and collect dust. After I rip it to my computer and put it on my iPod the CD becomes useless to me.

Edited by J2112YYZ

This really sucks. I mostly only listen to music on my ipod and I do download from Amazon, but I like going to record stores and buying CDs for the packaging and linear notes.

Thankfully, the few independent record stores left probably won't suffer from this. I was at a small record shop recently and the guy that owned it said that he makes all his money from vinyl, not CDs.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 31 2011, 12:58 PM)
This sucks. Try playing an MP3 format through a good stereo. Plus, when you own a CD, you can copy it as much as you like. When you down load, can you only move it so many times before the file gets locked?

Um, infinite times? You're talking about DRM or rights management, and that's going the way of the dodo - and even if it wasn't, there are so many ways around it it's hardly worth mentioning.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 31 2011, 01:51 PM)
Well I don't see myself buying downloads, that's like buying nothing, so this could be the end of me buying music altogether.

What about indie labels though? Only the big boys have been mentioned here.

I have a feeling that if the major labels go through with this, the indies will be operating on borrowed time. The big outlets like Best Buy aren't going to keep a CD section on the floor for indie titles, and I'm not sure any of the smaller venues can operate on nothing but indie sales. If there are shops that have built their business solely on indie sales, they might be okay, but any shop that relies on major label sales in any way will be hurting.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Oct 31 2011, 01:44 PM)
The real driver for this is money. While the cost associated with releasing and distributing new music will go down I bet the retail cost to the consumer will not. I am glad I don't buy new music anymore.

Bingo! We have a winner!

No, the savings won't be passed on to the consumer, that would be the right thing to do... and the record industry hasn't been interested in "the right thing to do" pretty much, well, ever.

angry.gif Wow. So what about the packaging. They better include album notes and lyrics with the downloads because that's the ONLY reason I like buying CDs. I mean, I burn a lot of stuff to CD from downloaded files, but that means I don't get notes or lyrics. I just like the feeling of plopping in a CD to the CD player and taking it out and switching it. If they start including notes, then I wouldn't actually mind the switch. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 31 2011, 04:56 PM)
angry.gif Wow. So what about the packaging. They better include album notes and lyrics with the downloads because that's the ONLY reason I like buying CDs. I mean, I burn a lot of stuff to CD from downloaded files, but that means I don't get notes or lyrics. I just like the feeling of plopping in a CD to the CD player and taking it out and switching it. If they start including notes, then I wouldn't actually mind the switch. confused13.gif

I know that Amazon MP3 includes PDF files for many new albums so they may start to include them with all albums.

I love having CDs! I did download Counterparts from a music site for about fifty cents a track, but I still really really want the CD. I want it for the collection and for the pictures ( wink.gif ) and just to have something tangible to listen to my music on. Of course LPs are even better but CDs are much more accessible and the like.

Also, LYRICS!! I love having the correct lyrics right there in front of me. laugh.gif That's kind of important. I'm a word kind of person. tongue.gif

Besides, if you don't have the adapter cord, you can't listen to an iPod in the car! And there's nothing quite like putting in MP and jamming down the road to "Red Barchetta"! 1022.gif

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 31 2011, 02:51 PM)
Well I don't see myself buying downloads, that's like buying nothing, so this could be the end of me buying music altogether.

What about indie labels though? Only the big boys have been mentioned here.

Not sure. You're right about big labels only being mentioned.

It's really a shame. Music is getting less personal and more plastic.

Maybe the end result will be a revolution by some who will open independently owned stores because there is a market out there for people who like to go and buy albums.

Get the f**k from beyond your computer screen in your mama's basement and go outside in the sunlight and damnit have a life!

Seems like the music industry is really pushing people into pirating music.

...I mean, I'd still like to buy CDs to support the artists I like, but I'm not gonna be paying to listen to their intellectual property that I don't even really own, when I don't really get anything to back it up. I'm not paying for permission to enjoy an artist.

Give me a CD, or else I'll listen through whatever means necessary.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 31 2011, 05:03 PM)
http://www.facebook.com/notes/newbury-comi...1557553930?_rdr

If you're familiar with the new England area, You know Newbury Comics. I hope they stick around. I've bought most of my music collection from them sad.gif

Yeah, I've been there before. Quite a selection.

This definitely means I will never buy music again. I don't pay for air. I want the whole packaged deal. No less. Way to screw up my opinion of the music industry even more, music industry....

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Oct 31 2011, 03:30 PM)
Seems like the music industry is really pushing people into pirating music.

...I mean, I'd still like to buy CDs to support the artists I like, but I'm not gonna be paying to listen to their intellectual property that I don't even really own, when I don't really get anything to back it up. I'm not paying for permission to enjoy an artist.

Give me a CD, or else I'll listen through whatever means necessary.

Same here...