Major labels: NO MORE CDs after 2012

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 31 2011, 01:58 PM)
Plus, when you own a CD, you can copy it as much as you like. When you down load, can you only move it so many times before the file gets locked?

You are aware that after you download an album you can burn it right to a CD, correct? As soon as the file is burned to a disc make as many copies as you want. It's really that simple, i'm not sure what you're talking about here unsure.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 31 2011, 06:03 PM)
http://www.facebook.com/notes/newbury-comi...1557553930?_rdr

If you're familiar with the new England area, You know Newbury Comics. I hope they stick around. I've bought most of my music collection from them sad.gif

I go to Newbury Comics a few times a year. I'll be really upset if they close since they have a huge selection of music.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Folks that are saying you won't pay for nothing (or won't pay for air or won't pay for a non-physical format)...

...what about cable television? Satellite? Movie channels? Any of you have a Netflix subscription? HD radio?

I understand the desire to have CDs, I really do - unless they're going to be offering uncompressed files for download, this move really sucks. But I don't think agree with the notion that we shouldn't pay for 1's and 0's because we do that all the time, most of us.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 31 2011, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 31 2011, 01:58 PM)
Plus, when you own a CD, you can copy it as much as you like.  When you down load, can you only move it so many times before the file gets locked?

You are aware that after you download an album you can burn it right to a CD, correct? As soon as the file is burned to a disc make as many copies as you want. It's really that simple, i'm not sure what you're talking about here unsure.gif

Yeah like I'd prefer mp3s burnt onto a cheap Memorex disc with songs written out in sharpie over a lossless recording with professionally printed artwork and lyric booklets.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 31 2011, 06:11 PM)
Folks that are saying you won't pay for nothing (or won't pay for air or won't pay for a non-physical format)...

...what about cable television? Satellite? Movie channels? Any of you have a Netflix subscription? HD radio?

I understand the desire to have CDs, I really do - unless they're going to be offering uncompressed files for download, this move really sucks. But I don't think agree with the notion that we shouldn't pay for 1's and 0's because we do that all the time, most of us.

But to most of us, television and Internet were only ever 1s and 0s. Music used to be a physical package that you could own for as long as you like, not just until your hard drive crashes.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Oct 31 2011, 07:00 PM)

But to most of us, television and Internet were only ever 1s and 0s. Music used to be a physical package that you could own for as long as you like, not just until your hard drive crashes.

And, there was some real art involved in just the packaging alone. This is such a lazy assed way for the music companies to make money. This isn't like the demise of vinyl, which incidentally has seen a resurgence because of its value to a significant number of music fans. This is the demise of the realness that goes with the music we own. I have plenty of downloaded music. But, those artists that mean the most to me have a spot on my CD shelves.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 31 2011, 11:52 AM)
I wouldn't have a problem with abandoning CDs as long as I have the option to download UNCOMPRESSED FILES. As someone who actually gives a shit about sound quality and hates mp3s and WMAs and iTunes files, I still want CD-quality sound. How that sound is delivered to me is irrelevant.

agreed sad.gif

Wow, Treeduck is fired up. The weird thing is how fast music has changed while movies seem stuck in the dvd/blu ray rut. I know the files are larger but you would think they would both change at approx the same pace. It's what happened with cassettes and vhs and then with CDs and DVDs. Anyways I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 07:51 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

I wish I had $10K to spend on music...

wink.gif

right - I know you didn't pay for most/all of it

that's another 'problem' I have with the state of music

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 31 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 07:51 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

I wish I had $10K to spend on music...

wink.gif

right - I know you didn't pay for most/all of it

that's another 'problem' I have with the state of music

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Oct 31 2011, 07:00 PM)

Bingo!

I would doubt the 2012 date though. Too many old people who want their music in their hands, not in untouchable bits. I still don't have an ipod!!! old.gif

Damn, this is going to interfere with the collection of music I've started. Over the past year, I've bought about 30 albums on CD. I'm trying to make a collection of albums that have a majority of great songs, I don't buy anything by an artist, but only albums that are generally good. Hopefully I can continue to buy them on ebay or something. There are many I've gotten that were probably made in the 1990's and early 2000's.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 31 2011, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 31 2011, 04:56 PM)
angry.gif Wow. So what about the packaging. They better include album notes and lyrics with the downloads because that's the ONLY reason I like buying CDs. I mean, I burn a lot of stuff to CD from downloaded files, but that means I don't get notes or lyrics. I just like the feeling of plopping in a CD to the CD player and taking it out and switching it. If they start including notes, then I wouldn't actually mind the switch. confused13.gif

I know that Amazon MP3 includes PDF files for many new albums so they may start to include them with all albums.

Well in that case, I may not be so peeved...

I'd remain pretty skeptical of this story. It's nothing but speculation. The only source for this article is their own editor while reps from 3 major labels declined to comment. That's not to say it won't happen at some point. They make a good case for it. CDs could become a non-mainstream item (like vinyl), valued by collectors but not the general public. Though I can't see CDs becoming collectible to the extent that vinyl is (except for those special editions the article mentions). 2012 might still be too soon. But saying it's going to happen and using your own editor as a source? That's not journalism, that's guessing.

Besides abandoning the CD by the end of 2012 would mean killing a still considerable source of their sales. Not everyone has a computer. Not everyone can download music. Not everyone wants to bother with downloading music. I think physical media will be with us for awhile yet. Sure CD sales are in decline and that trend appears to be irreversible, but to disenfranchise 50-70% of your customer base? Come on!

So yeah eventually it could happen but in a year? I don't think so. I would think the end would be a slow gradual process rather than a sudden blackout. Then again the music industry has done plenty of stupid stuff so this wouldn't be the first time they've shot themselves in the foot.

To modify an old Mark Twain quote...The rumors of physical media's death has been greatly exaggerated.

For me, one of the many great advantages of LPs and CDs is the ability to physically own it and have it forever which it seems the industry is trying to take away. If that's the way it goes I certainly won't be downloading anything other than rare live recordings. There will be enough used LPs and CDs around to keep me happy forever.

This is complete BULLSHIT.

Even if the USA is stupid enough to pull the pin on all compact discs, Japan and the UK will NEVER give in to this dumbass idea.

Limited editions? In the USA? Box sets? Opeth and Dream Theater come to mind.

There is no way in hell that Avalon Records in Japan and Frontiers Records in Italy are going to stop production of the compact disc.

They are here to stay. You younger generation types might not want to believe in this hype.

Some Record Companies are already ahead of North America.

They put a different bonus track on the UK version than the Japanese version.

Limited packaging is already a fine detail here.

Also us audiophiles will always get spoiled. MFSL and DCC are back in business and are constantly releasing 24K cd releases every month.

They are not bankrupt anymore!

If anything should go under it should be MPCheese. Who the fukk would waste their money downloading compressed shite?

You younger generations continue to keep buying your compressed crap.

I will continue to hunt for rare cd pressings in my local used and new cd and record stores.

Rasputin's and Amoeba Records will never go out of business.

Even if these big empty suit record labels stop pressing cds, they will always be out there on the used market.

This thread is a waste of my time. Damn!

Oh well. Do what you must.

Cds will never be obsolete.

Take your MP3 Philosophy and shove it where the sun don't shine!

1287.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 1 2011, 03:12 AM)
I'd remain pretty skeptical of this story. It's nothing but speculation. The only source for this article is their own editor while reps from 3 major labels declined to comment. That's not to say it won't happen at some point. They make a good case for it. CDs could become a non-mainstream item (like vinyl), valued by collectors but not the general public. Though I can't see CDs becoming collectible to the extent that vinyl is (except for those special editions the article mentions). 2012 might still be too soon. But saying it's going to happen and using your own editor as a source? That's not journalism, that's guessing.

Besides abandoning the CD by the end of 2012 would mean killing a still considerable source of their sales. Not everyone has a computer. Not everyone can download music. Not everyone wants to bother with downloading music. I think physical media will be with us for awhile yet. Sure CD sales are in decline and that trend appears to be irreversible, but to disenfranchise 50-70% of your customer base? Come on!

So yeah eventually it could happen but in a year? I don't think so. I would think the end would be a slow gradual process rather than a sudden blackout. Then again the music industry has done plenty of stupid stuff so this wouldn't be the first time they've shot themselves in the foot.

To modify an old Mark Twain quote...The rumors of physical media's death has been greatly exaggerated.

For me, one of the many great advantages of LPs and CDs is the ability to physically own it and have it forever which it seems the industry is trying to take away. If that's the way it goes I certainly won't be downloading anything other than rare live recordings. There will be enough used LPs and CDs around to keep me happy forever.

goodpost.gif signs015.gif oops.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 01:46 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 1 2011, 03:12 AM)

goodpost.gif signs015.gif oops.gif

IT'S ALL BULLSHIT! 062802puke_prv.gif