Danica Patrick

war2112

Hi, ladies. I never, ever post here but I wanted to make an exception this time. I posted this in the sports forum but I felt compelled to place the same post here because one of your own is showing the boys a thing or two. So here's the post...

This is kind of old news, but this girl can flat out drive an Indy car. She very nearly grabbed the pole for the Indy 500 about a week ago but was stymied during her first Q lap by getting real squirrely in Turn 1. It was amazing she straightened it out, but it did cost her valuable time. First lap at 224 and then three at high 227's. She would have easily nabbed the pole had it not been for the first lap time. She's a rookie, too (for the Rahal/Letterman team).

Aside from the fact that she's great in an Indy car is the fact that she's terribly beautiful and doesn't try to downplay it. What I mean is, she has no qualms whatsoever about being an object of attention. I think that's great. It's refreshing to see a woman who's capable in her field and doesn't go all femi-nazi just because she's easy on the eyes. As a matter of fact, she views it as a way to attract more people to Indycar racing. Good for her. Indycar could certainly use it because ever since the split, it has really been waning in popularity. The Indianapolis 500 certainly lost a lot of prestige because of this and has yet to regain it.

I hope she kicks ass come race day. Wouldn't it be great to see a woman win this race? I'm telling ya, she's capable of doing so and she's got a great team behind her.

Hi, girls, it's me again. You all seem to have at least a little more interest in this than my chromosome sharers do, so I just wanted to give this an update plus mention a few things I neglected to post the first time.

Danica will be starting in the 4th spot for the Indy 500 (inside of row 2 out of a total field of 33 cars for the unitiated). That's a higher spot than any of her predecessors (Janet Guthrie, Sarah Fisher and Lyn St. James).

She still holds the fastest lap time at the track this year. She has consistently been the fastest driver there all month long. She hit 229+ mph in practice. That's why she was dissappointed to "only" qualify in the fourth position. She has been blowing everbody's wheels off all month long.

Earlier this IRL season, she led 50 laps at the Twin Ring Motegi in Japan which is a notoriously demanding road course. It's long at 2.5+ miles with changes in elevation and tight hairpin turns. Danica drove it like an established veteran. She has definitely got the goods.

When Janet Guthrie first came onto the scene here, she was most certainly being blackballed by the other drivers if not the racing world at large. In short, she was not welcomed and that's too bad. She also had inferior equipment due in no small part because of this bias. The same can be said for Sarah Fisher and Lyn St. James.

Well, now the playing field has been evened out. Danica is driving for Rahal/Letterman and if you remember, they won last year with Buddy Rice. She has access to a great team and all that brings. Look out!

Finally, it's very interesting to note that the fact that she is a smaller female certainly plays to her advantage. She's only 5'1" and 100 lbs. That's a HUGE advantage in open-wheel racing as her weight is less than the guys by an equivalence of 6-7 gallons of fuel. She is lighter and can go faster, longer. Cool!

So the guys have tried to basically keep women out for a long time and it may come back to bite them in the ass.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I just love stuff like this. If she were to win this thing, it would change auto racing forever.

Hey war2112,

I did see Danica Patrick this weekend on tv. It was after you posted so, I knew her story.

I hope that she does win!!! yes.gif

And, the fact that she would/could change racing is an inspiration to all of us women new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived