Rodney Dangerfield

RushRevisited

LOS ANGELES (Sept. 20) -- Rodney Dangerfield has been in a coma for a couple of weeks after undergoing heart surgery but has begun to show awareness, his wife said in a statement Monday.

The 82-year-old comedian was stable and had been breathing on his own for 24 hours, Joan Dangerfield said in the statement released by the comic's publicist, Kevin Sasaki.

Dangerfield had a heart valve replaced Aug. 25 at the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center.

There was no mention of a coma in a condition update from the publicist last week. Sasaki did not immediately return calls for comment Monday.

Joan Dangerfield said in her statement, "My husband slipped into a light coma a couple of weeks ago while recovering from his heart surgery. His overall condition, however, remains stable."

She said Dangerfield was receiving "extraordinary care" from his doctors and nurses.

"After recent visits from his family and close friends, Rodney is starting to show signs of awareness and we are all hopeful that he will regain full consciousness soon," she said. "Our family remains optimistic that Rodney will make a complete recovery and we are humbled by the love and support we have received during his hospitalization."

Dangerfield, best known for the self-mocking line, "I don't get no respect," recently released his autobiography, "It's Not Easy Bein' Me: A Lifetime of No Respect but Plenty of Sex and Drugs."

09/20/04 20:25 EDT

Rodney is truly a one-of-a-kind! Best wishes for him and for his family. Typical of his ability to make us laugh is the statement he made before undergoing this surgery. The following was quoted by my pal "Rushshirts" here on the forum:

82 year old Rodney Dangerfield said to reporters when asked how long he would be in the hospital for heart valve surgery..."If everything goes well about a week...if theres a problem...an hour and a half."

Hope to see you on the golf course soon, Rodney!

QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 21 2004, 08:18 AM)
"Well, on YOU it looks good!"

- To a red-faced Ted Knight

"Hey everybody! We're gonna all get laid!"

- Caddyshack

"give me two of those, three of these, and some naked lady tees..."

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 21 2004, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 21 2004, 08:18 AM)
"Well, on YOU it looks good!"

- To a red-faced Ted Knight

"Hey everybody! We're gonna all get laid!"

- Caddyshack

"give me two of those, three of these, and some naked lady tees..."

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Memories!

"This steak still has marks where the jockey was hittin' it!"

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif Just got this from CNN.com:

Comedian Rodney Dangerfield died Tuesday at the age of 82 at UCLA Medical Center, his office tells CNN.

Watch CNN or log on to http://CNN.com for the latest news.

More Americans watch CNN. More Americans trust CNN.

Rest in Peace, Rodney. You kicked ass. sad.gif

Thank you Rodney!!! For years and years of great comedy and lasting memories.

You lived a great life in my eyes!

Archived