'Star Wars' DVD audio problems?

Jack Aubrey

From the Digital Bits:

[Editor's Note: since we initially wrote this review, a few audio/mixing errors on the DVD version of A New Hope have been detected. They are as follows:

1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as if the master sound element was damaged.

3) Also, John Williams' score for the film seems to have been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left rear channel seems to be playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa). What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the right rear. It's hard to notice, but we're getting a number of reports from people hearing this.

These problems would seem to be severe enough to merit a repressing/exchange of the disc. We're waiting to hear back from Lucasfilm on this issue and we'll update this review with the details as soon as we do.]

This is the statement released by Lucasfilm:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as reported."

Of course George isn't going to say there was a mistake...heavens, no! It was SUPPOSED to sound like that!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Yeah, when the X-Wing on the right side of the screen explodes, there was supposed to be a giant metal plate half the size of the Death Star just out of camera range. So the explosion sounds bounce off the thing and echo to you on the left side.

Duh.

Also, how ruined is scene where Vader's mask is removed at the end of Return of the Jedi?

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2004, 04:47 PM)
Ahem!

What?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 21 2004, 02:34 PM)
Ahem!

What?

My guess is spoilers, Cyg doesn't like 'em.

Latest from the Digital Bits:

Obviously, we've been going over the sound issues these last couple of days, and Lucasfilm says they're deliberate creative decisions. The audio quality of Tarkin's line may simply have been unavoidable, and we're prepared to acknowledge that. The "flipped" music in the surrounds... well, if that was a creative decision, so be it. The only place we find it distracting is during the medal ceremony at the end of A New Hope, and we're betting most of you will never notice it. We can live with it. The whole thing with the music being dialed back during the first part of the Death Star battle however... that's just irritating. That we suspect WAS a creative decision, but we think it was a really poorly considered one. Williams' score was so much a part of the spirit of that scene and now it's barely audible for the first few minutes of the battle. That's really a shame.

You know, it seems like with each new revised version of these films, there's one change we absolutely hate. In 1997, it was Greedo shooting first. Now that scene has been tweaked a little more, and we can deal with it. But in 2004, it's not younger Anakin we hate, it's not the Emperor, it's not the revised Jabba. All that we don't mind. But this music change is disappointing. Ah well. Maybe George will fix that in the 2007 ultimate version... and there will be something new to complain about. In any case, we trust you will enjoy these DVDs. By and large, they're pretty nifty. But this ain't your older brother's Star Wars, that's for sure.

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Sep 22 2004, 09:08 PM)
Question, The adds on TV say the classics, are they the originals , or the special edition versions. I wouldn't put it past Lukas to come out with the old ones then in 6months come out again with the special editions.

They are the special edition versions. Lucas has said that the original versions literally don't exist anymore.

I freaking hate the special editions. That scene with Jabba in a New Hope SUCKS, it is SO hokey and the effects are poor. Lets not even go there about Jabba's newly pimped out band in ROTJ and Greedo dying, etc etc.

I'm just a stick in the mud, I want the old ones back.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Sep 21 2004, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 21 2004, 02:34 PM)
Ahem!

What?

My guess is spoilers, Cyg doesn't like 'em.

spoilers... how old are these movies again?

wait, don't tell me how it ends!!!

1287.gif

well, ok, I understand that Lucas changed them yet again - but if he did that - how does one spoil his spoliation of the original movies???

So glad I have the original trilogy on VHS.

QUOTE (Audient @ Sep 23 2004, 11:00 AM)
spoilers... how old are these movies again?

wait, don't tell me how it ends!!!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif