Firefly

USB Connector

I have seen my share of battlestar, Stargate, Star Trek and a whole lot of other scifi shows that aren't worth mentioning, but I've been watching Firefly over the last few weeks to find that this scifi show never got the attention it rightfully deserved.

For those who don't know, Firefly is a Space-Western (don't let the idea put you off, I don't really like westerns either) that ran for 3/4 of a season in the early 2000s. It was cancelled because fox aired the episodes in the wrong order and advertised it as an action comedy (which it isn't).

The characters are solid, some lovable, others not so much. One or two episodes are a little bland, but they're still a ton better than what the average episode of Star Trek: Voyager/Enterprise was like (not that I'm talking bad about Enterprise).

I think that had this show would have continued for a full seven seasons as it was intended, it would have blown a lot of major series out of the water.

Has anyone else seen the show and would like to share their opinions/thoughts?

Edited by USB Connector

I liked Firefly, had some fun stories, some good characters...

...but I really don't understand the cult love for it. It was OK, by no means the greatest Sci Fi I've ever seen. It had a lot of REALLY bad REALLY cheesy dialogue, some of the costume/set design was ridiculously over the top, and the stories really got disjointed a lot. They could've been more succinct and focused with some of the truly creative ideas that had, rather than filling episodes with some of the more warmed over plot devices they used from Joss Whedon's other, crappier shows...

I'll give it a 6... 6.5 out of ten. Glad I watched it, but never really excited about it.

Oh, and I have a major crush on Kaylee Frye. Man, she is just great.

Edited by KenJennings

Okay, once I'm done with Stargate SG-1..

...and then Atlantis...

..and then Universe...

(See what I've gotten myself into!?)

...and then finished up X-Files...

...I am SO going to watch this show! I've heard great things about it and I loved Serenity, so why not see the thing which inspired it? Hopefully it's on DVD at the library, or at least somewhere online. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 3 2011, 06:23 PM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...
...I am SO going to watch this show! I've heard great things about it and I loved Serenity, so why not see the thing which inspired it? Hopefully it's on DVD at the library, or at least somewhere online. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm pretty sure the series is on Netflix.

It's truly fantastic.

If anyone watches Castle, they make references to Firefly every now and again. Great inside humor for those of us who loved the show.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 3 2011, 09:23 PM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Just drop Stargate and watch Firefly. The series is only 14 episodes long tongue.gif

Oh yes, I LOVE Firefly! I've had the box of the entire series since it came out. Great characters, great stories. Another winner from the Whedonverse.

Fox really screwed up when they cancelled it. The reason Nathan Fillion was in the final season of Buffy is that Joss felt bad that Nathan was put out of work. Gina Torres was in the fourth season of Angel for the same reason.

Edited by HowItIs

I loved Firefly. For me, it could have ended up being Whedon's best show. In fact - much as I loved Buffy at the time (I mean, look at my username laugh.gif ) - it is my favourite of his shows.

'Out of Gas' is simply the best flashback episode of any tv show I've seen. It's a perfect episode new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Loved it; it should have run longer. The cult following made the movie possible... which isn't as good as the series, but tied up some loose ends.

I've watched the DVD set twice, and seen some of the episodes again on TV. I love "Out of Gas" and "Our Mrs. Reynolds" best, followed by some others.

I'm by no means a Whedon devotee (some treat him and his shows like the Second Coming), but I love this series.

And oh yeah, I also don't normally like westerns.

music.gif Jayne

The man they call Jayne

He robbed from the rich and he gave to the poor

Stood up to the Man and he gave him what for

Our love for him now ain't hard to explain

The Hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne

Now Jayne saw the Mudders' backs breaking

He saw the Mudders lament

And he saw the magistrate taking

Every dollar and leaving five cents

So he said, "You can't do that to my people"

He said "You can't crush 'em under your heel"

Jayne strapped on his hat

And in five seconds flat

Stole everything Boss Higgins had to steal

The Hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne

Now here is what separates heroes

From common folk like you and I

The man they call Jayne

He turned 'round his plane

And let that money hit the sky

He dropped it onto our houses

He dropped it into our yards

And the man call Jayne

He turned 'round his plane

And headed out for the stars

The Hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne! music.gif

'nuff said

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 3 2011, 09:15 PM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Just drop Stargate and watch Firefly. The series is only 14 episodes long tongue.gif

Drop?

Drop?!

Uh-uh. SG-1 has what Firefly lacks, and that is RDA and Chris Judge.

...But since it is so short, I would probably be able to watch it soon anyways. I'll probably be taking a hiatus on my blog for NaNoWriMo, and if I have any down time/am in need of some serious inspiration, I'll watch. smile.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Oct 4 2011, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 4 2011, 03:21 AM)
'Out of Gas' is simply the best flashback episode of any tv show I've seen.  It's a perfect episode  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Agreed. It was perfect.

I liked "Trash" too. The ending was great. Christina Hendricks as "YoSaffBridge"...my oh my.

wub.gif

Yep, I liked "Trash," too. Both episodes with Saffron were great. In "Our Mrs. Reynolds," when she first reveals her true motives and starts doing her schtick... I loved that sequence.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 4 2011, 10:49 AM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Drop?

Drop?!

...But since it is so short, I would probably be able to watch it soon anyways. I'll probably be taking a hiatus on my blog for NaNoWriMo, and if I have any down time/am in need of some serious inspiration, I'll watch. smile.gif

The cast is much more solid and memorable in Firefly than SG-1. Trust me on this one.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 4 2011, 06:56 PM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Drop?

Drop?!

The cast is much more solid and memorable in Firefly than SG-1. Trust me on this one.

Yeah, maybe, but the problem with Firefly is that it never got a proper ending. It was canceled. If there's one thing that's kind of tainted me over the past few years, it's been getting into a show and then seeing it end on a cliffhanger. (Did Firefly end on a cliffhanger? I sure hope not. If it did I might be even more reluctant to see it.)

And of course, to each his own.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 4 2011, 06:39 PM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Drop?

Drop?!

Yeah, maybe, but the problem with Firefly is that it never got a proper ending. It was canceled. If there's one thing that's kind of tainted me over the past few years, it's been getting into a show and then seeing it end on a cliffhanger. (Did Firefly end on a cliffhanger? I sure hope not. If it did I might be even more reluctant to see it.)

Sort of, if I remember right, but a *lot* of things were wrapped up in the Serenity movie. Worry about being left dangling over the cliff shouldn't be a reason not to watch this particular show, IMO.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 4 2011, 09:23 PM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Drop?

Drop?!

Sort of, if I remember right, but a *lot* of things were wrapped up in the Serenity movie. Worry about being left dangling over the cliff shouldn't be a reason not to watch this particular show, IMO.

Guys, guys, I will watch it. In time. Like I said. I'm just rattling off my thoughts, lol.

I saw Serenity, yeah, but I hardly remember it. So this way, I can go in with pretty much no prejudices - same as it was when I started SG-1.

Don't expect a blog though. (;

I loved the series. Didn't see it when it was on TV, but bought the whole thing on DVD.

Reminded me of the role playing game Traveller I played back in the day.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2011, 02:23 AM)
...and then Atlantis...
..and then Universe...

Drop?

Drop?!

Yeah, Serenity wrapped it up pretty well, I think, whilst still leaving the door open for more adventures - not that it'll ever happen.

And yeah, the cast in Firefly is second to none among sf tv shows. Except Farscape, maybe.

I watched Out of Gas again last night, first episode I've watched on blu-ray. Wonderful, wonderful episode.

I just finished watching Serenity. The fact that main characters actually died shocked me. It was a very solid movie, a little weak at the beginning, but very strong at the end.

I still want to know how/why Shepard seems to be the most efficient killer (aside from River). I guess I'll never find out.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 18 2011, 05:31 PM)
I just finished watching Serenity. The fact that main characters actually died shocked me. It was a very solid movie, a little weak at the beginning, but very strong at the end.

I still want to know how/why Shepard seems to be the most efficient killer (aside from River). I guess I'll never find out.

I know, right?? There are very few things that surprise me in movies anymore because it just all seems so... old hat, I guess. It's not that I can predict every plot point or development, it's just that when each beat happens, I'm like, "yeah, that was pretty much to be expected". Does that make sense?

That said, when <spoiler> got impaled and killed out of nowhere, that left me slack jawed and reeling. For so major a character to be killed so brutally and so suddenly was jarring. Very powerful scene.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 18 2011, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 18 2011, 05:31 PM)

I know, right?? There are very few things that surprise me in movies anymore because it just all seems so... old hat, I guess. It's not that I can predict every plot point or development, it's just that when each beat happens, I'm like, "yeah, that was pretty much to be expected". Does that make sense?

That said, when <spoiler> got impaled and killed out of nowhere, that left me slack jawed and reeling. For so major a character to be killed so brutally and so suddenly was jarring. Very powerful scene.

<THIS POST IS A SPOILER>

After that scene, combined with the fact that Shepard had already been murdered by the Alliance, made the ending fights very powerful. I honestly believed the crew would get eaten by Reavers until River decide to go on a rampage. It's the first movie since Star Trek 11 that really threw me off and got me engaged in the plot.

Edited by USB Connector