Trans Siberian Orchestra

Nate2112

They came here to Syracuse several years in a row, but by the time I realized I should be getting to one of their shows, they never came back. Bummer! I did get to see electic violinist Mark Wood, who used to be in the in the group, when he did a concert with my niece and nephew's school orchestra. Great show.

Last year, there were 2 TSO bands touring.

Since they seem to be a holliday gimmic type band, they usually tour only in Nov/Dec. To get in all of the venues they want, I guess they need two bands.

I enjoy the music. To me, it is very original. I'm not sure if I would want to see 2 hours of it though.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 30 2011, 07:59 AM)

Since they seem to be a holliday gimmic type band, they usually tour only in Nov/Dec. To get in all of the venues they want, I guess they need two bands.

I enjoy the music. To me, it is very original. I'm not sure if I would want to see 2 hours of it though.

Yes, there are two different TSO touring groups. One does the east coast and the other does the west coast that way they can cover the whole country easier during the holiday season. They sometimes do two shows in certian cities so it makes sense to divide the touring groups.

If you like TSO you might like the progessive metal band Savatage since TSO was born out of that.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 30 2011, 08:59 AM)

There always is two bands, a west and an east coast. They are amazing and an all out assault on the senses. Seen um 4 times. Always a great night of entertainment.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:30 PM)
They came here to Syracuse several years in a row, but by the time I realized I should be getting to one of their shows, they never came back. Bummer! I did get to see electic violinist Mark Wood, who used to be in the in the group, when he did a concert with my niece and nephew's school orchestra. Great show.

Yep. He played here in Oswego too. He put on a great show for the kids.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 30 2011, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 30 2011, 07:59 AM)

Since they seem to be a holliday gimmic type band, they usually tour only in Nov/Dec.  To get in all of the venues they want, I guess they need two bands.

I enjoy the music.  To me, it is very original.  I'm not sure if I would want to see 2 hours of it though.

Yes, there are two different TSO touring groups. One does the east coast and the other does the west coast that way they can cover the whole country easier during the holiday season. They sometimes do two shows in certian cities so it makes sense to divide the touring groups.

If you like TSO you might like the progessive metal band Savatage since TSO was born out of that.

I tried, but the Savatage stuff is a bit....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I like the first TSO album...it was a nice change of pace from the usual Christmas stuff...but they kept going....Their concerts are just full blown extravaganzas....not my cup of tea, really...

Saw them last night in Tampa. Pretty amazing show. I recommend seeing them if you have the chance. Guitarist Joel Hoekstra (also tours with Night Ranger) is very good. Everything about the show is first rate = amazing lights/effects, very talented musicians/singers. The first half is a kind of montage of songs tied together by a (very over the top) narrator having to do with Christmas and the second half is a variety of re-worked classical songs and originals. I met former Savatage (and current Circle II Circle) vocalist Zak Stevens as well (he was sitting in front of me).