Nightwish

physics23

granted i researched them for 15 minutes and said f**k it could be good...but it turned into a bunch of songs that didn't do much for me so i left...i expected metal and renaissance with operatic vocals but what i got was a strange commercial mix of original songs sung with great passion but no soul. sorry for the negativity but that's how i felt.

I always admire anyway who gives anything an honest try. There are bands this forum goes nuts for collectively who leave me very cold, and no matter how hard I try they never grow on me.

Nightwish mastermind Tuomas Holopainen is a lover of melody and folk music is a cure part of their sound. I would say less commercial, more honestly melodic. He thrives on music of that sort when it comes to what he listens too.

• Like 1

I get the impression Tuomas is quite tired of a lot of the older music. Considering the direction the band has taken since Century Child, it doesn't surprise me that some of the more power metal moments leave him a little cold. I feel that Imaginaerum took all the bands fantasy leanings and brought them right up to date with a sophisticated flair and a more knowing sense of wonder.

A lot of the first three albums I think hasn't aged well, you can really sense the band, And Tuomas as a writer, trying to achieve something greater than their current abilities.

I find when the band plays the earliest songs they tend to stand out as a little less wonderful. I really am not the biggest fan of, say, Stargazers taking the place of Alpenglow (not that it has).

I would love Sleeping Sun, She Is My Sin, Bare Grace Misery and Swanheart to become staples. But the song Wishmaster, as great as it is...Tuomas probably isn't feeling those sort of lyrics nowadays.

Maybe in time he might be nostalgic for his earliest stuff!

I think this tour shows that Tuomas did get nostalgic over the early stuff. Not sure he would have done this tour if he didn't. I will definitely be able to tell on Friday when I see them whether he's playing those songs with the same fire and passion he usually does.

I wonder if leaving the older stuff out of the set has more to do with him wanting to always be moving forward and promoting the new music live. I've always been under the impression that Tuomas has the same kind of mentality of Rush or Maiden when it comes to the setlist. Touching upon the old stuff enough to represent it but mainly focusing on what the band is currently doing.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I get the impression Tuomas is quite tired of a lot of the older music. Considering the direction the band has taken since Century Child, it doesn't surprise me that some of the more power metal moments leave him a little cold. I feel that Imaginaerum took all the bands fantasy leanings and brought them right up to date with a sophisticated flair and a more knowing sense of wonder.

A lot of the first three albums I think hasn't aged well, you can really sense the band, And Tuomas as a writer, trying to achieve something greater than their current abilities.

I find when the band plays the earliest songs they tend to stand out as a little less wonderful. I really am not the biggest fan of, say, Stargazers taking the place of Alpenglow (not that it has).

I would love Sleeping Sun, She Is My Sin, Bare Grace Misery and Swanheart to become staples. But the song Wishmaster, as great as it is...Tuomas probably isn't feeling those sort of lyrics nowadays.

Maybe in time he might be nostalgic for his earliest stuff!

I think this tour shows that Tuomas did get nostalgic over the early stuff. Not sure he would have done this tour if he didn't. I will definitely be able to tell on Friday when I see them whether he's playing those songs with the same fire and passion he usually does.

I wonder if leaving the older stuff out of the set has more to do with him wanting to always be moving forward and promoting the new music live. I've always been under the impression that Tuomas has the same kind of mentality of Rush or Maiden when it comes to the setlist. Touching upon the old stuff enough to represent it but mainly focusing on what the band is currently doing.

True!

In all honesty, Wishmaster is one of their most overplayed songs amongst the fanbase. The demand for that song must have become grating by the time they decided to leave it out. And to be honest its easily replaced (even if it is quite iconic). I have the same thing about I Wish I Had An Angel and Dark Chest Of Wonders. Neither were played when I saw them, and no one seems to be upset about that.

The more I type the more I am reminded of the Judas Priest thread when you guys said you could ask for an ideal artist for every person and it be possible to get a totally different one each time!

But personally, no Wishmaster is no issue.

But Bare Grace Misery, She Is My Sin, Sleepwalker, Dead Boys Poem, Kinslayer...I love all these way more! Come Cover Me too...god I love Wishmaster (the album) so damn much!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

What a fantastic show tonight. They are playing as good as ever. Floor is reaching goddess status with me. Such a great singer with a huge commanding stage presence. Great facial expressions and body language. The woman is the complete package as a performer. It's great to hear all these old songs sang the way they were meant to be. The set was the same as I posted on here when the tour started. These songs sound so great and heavy live.

The crowd was loud, enthusiastic and into everything in some way. Tuomas even got a damn you guys are loud look on his face a handful of times. After the crowd sang "we were here" during Greatest Show he looked over at his bandmates and said "WOW!" with a little smile on his face. I've seen them six times now. Three with Annette now three with Floor. The band has never been better live. The addition of Floor has put their live show at another level. Everyone is just having the time of their lives up there.

Damn, when's the next album? I need to see them again now.

Edited by J2112YYZ

What a fantastic show tonight. They are playing as good as ever. Floor is reaching goddess status with me. Such a great singer with a huge commanding stage presence. Great facial exp<b></b>ressions and body language. The woman is the complete package as a performer. It's great to hear all these old songs sang the way they were meant to be. The set was the same as I posted on here when the tour started. These songs sound so great and heavy live.

The crowd was loud, enthusiastic and into everything in some way. Tuomas even got a damn you guys are loud look on his face a handful of times. After the crowd sang "we were here" during Greatest Show he looked over at his bandmates and said "WOW!" with a little smile on his face. I've seen them six times now. Three with Annette now three with Floor. The band has never been better live. The addition of Floor has put their live show at another level. Everyone is just having the time of their lives up there.

They are amazing! This sounds much like how I felt when I saw them live.

I can't wait for a new album.

Check out Auri. Tuomas Holopainen, Troy Donockley and Tuomas' wife have a project. The album came out yesterday and it's gentle, beautiful music in the vein of Nightwish at their most folky. Not metal at all, but even the metal press has been ecstatic!

What a fantastic show tonight. They are playing as good as ever. Floor is reaching goddess status with me. Such a great singer with a huge commanding stage presence. Great facial exp<b></b>ressions and body language. The woman is the complete package as a performer. It's great to hear all these old songs sang the way they were meant to be. The set was the same as I posted on here when the tour started. These songs sound so great and heavy live.

Check out Auri. Tuomas Holopainen, Troy Donockley and Tuomas' wife have a project. The album came out yesterday and it's gentle, beautiful music in the vein of Nightwish at their most folky. Not metal at all, but even the metal press has been ecstatic!

I feel like that after every show I've seen from them. Even more now that Floor is with them.

A few more notes from the show. I guess a free CD of the Decades compilation came free with your ticket. My friend told me about it on the way there and they handed those out at the door. I forget his name but the gentleman who always works the Nightwish merch stand was handing them out.

This venue fits around 1700. I wouldn't say it was sold out but certainly over 1000 people were there. Definitely enough to get them to come back again. When they played this area three years ago they sold out a 1200 capacity venue. I would say this show had about the same.

They trolled us hard with the intro. At 830 a graphic came up on the screen while some ambient music played quietly in the background. The house lights were still on so we knew it wasn't starting just yet. Over the course of the next 15 minutes the music slowly got louder and then the intro video started.

The intro video talked about joining them as we go back in time and even made a joke about everyone putting their phones away and enjoy the show since we're going back to a simpler time. Loved that.

Troy came out first and played a little bit of Sawnnheart on his flute, pipes or whatever the hell things he plays. Then everyone else came on stage and they went right into the first song.

During I Want My Tears Back Floor got everyone to jump to the rhythm of the music and I felt the floor(the actual floor not the singer) shake. I've seen shows at this venue for over a decade and I've never felt that at any of them.

Tuomas always looks like he's on the verge of tears whenever the band takes their final bow. I've never seen this with any other musician. I think this is a big reason why they've built such a huge and passionate following. Especially here in North America where they have zero mainstream coverage. His deep love and passion for what he does really connects with the fans. I know every song writer has a personal connection to the music they create. But I don't think there are too many who are in the same league as Tuomas when it comes to that.

I could go on forever but I'll stop now.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I feel like that after every show I've seen from them. Even more now that Floor is with them.

A few more notes from the show. I guess a free CD of the Decades compilation came free with your ticket. My friend told me about it on the way there and they handed those out at the door. I forget his name but the gentleman who always works the Nightwish merch stand was handing them out.

This venue fits around 1700. I wouldn't say it was sold out but certainly over 1000 people were there. Definitely enough to get them to come back again. When they played this area three years ago they sold out a 1200 capacity venue. I would say this show had about the same.

They trolled us hard with the intro. At 830 a graphic came up on the screen while some ambient music played quietly in the background. The house lights were still on so we knew it wasn't starting just yet. Over the course of the next 15 minutes the music slowly got louder and then the intro video started.

The intro video talked about joining them as we go back in time and even made a joke about everyone putting their phones away and enjoy the show since we're going back to a simpler time. Loved that.

Troy came out first and played a little bit of Sawnnheart on his flute, pipes or whatever the hell things he plays. Then everyone else came on stage and they went right into the first song.

During I Want My Tears Back Floor got everyone to jump to the rhythm of the music and I felt the floor(the actual floor not the singer) shake. I've seen shows at this venue for over a decade and I've never felt that at any of them.

Tuomas always looks like he's on the verge of tears whenever the band takes their final bow. I've never seen this with any other musician. I think this is a big reason why they've built such a huge and passionate following. Especially here in North America where they have zero mainstream coverage. His deep love and passion for what he does really connects with the fans. I know every song writer has a personal connection to the music they create. But I don't think there are too many who are in the same league as Tuomas when it comes to that.

I could go on forever but I'll stop now.

Confirms my view that Nightwish are the greatest band of our era.

I really believe this.

I still can't believe the band that wrote a rather cheesy album like Oceanborn became the band who released Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and took over the world!

• Like 1

Rush is called the biggest cult band in the world. But can Nightwish lay claim to being the second biggest?

I was talking with my brother today about that. He's not really a fan but because me, my nephew and friend are insane about them he knows who they are. And we're both in agreement that we've never known of another metal band who has built up such a big following without a major hit radio single(s) to go off of. It's all been through great music and hard work. Over the last three years Nightwish sell out or draw really good crowds at the the same venues I've seen bands like Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Ghost and Black Label Society fill to capacity. Absolutely amazing that a band can do that without a major hit or media coverage of any kind.

Rush is called the biggest cult band in the world. But can Nightwish lay claim to being the second biggest?

I was talking with my brother today about that. He's not really a fan but because me, my nephew and friend are insane about them he knows who they are. And we're both in agreement that we've never known of another metal band who has built up such a big following without a major hit radio single(s) to go off of. It's all been through great music and hard work. Over the last three years Nightwish sell out or draw really good crowds at the the same venues I've seen bands like Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Ghost and Black Label Society fill to capacity. Absolutely amazing that a band can do that without a major hit or media coverage of any kind.

In Europe they are as well renowned now as Priest or Maiden and have been for the last few years, and especially since Floor joined. The last album got them a lot of coverage in the UK (where they have always been major news in the rock press).

They have had many hit singles this side of the pond. Not so much the UK, but Trivium, Nightwish, Within Temptation and Alter Bridge are the four most likely rock or metal bands to go top twenty in the UK album charts that aren't British. And in the UK, rock is not a big thing at all.

Which made Nightwish's sell out concert at Wembley big news in the media that year.

I am so proud of this band. For years I have been saying Nightwish have that rare sense of wonder that is almkst exclusive to seventies bands, like Tull, Yes, Rush...they are up there with the age old greats.

Many will disagree and say "they have a commercial sound", but then again...in the eighties so did bands like Maiden and Priest.

They are the greatest band of our generation. Are they metal? Can't say I know...they are Nightwish.

I'm watching some videos on YouTube of the current tour. Floor singing Deep Silent Complete was amazing! I thought it would be impossible for anyone but Tarja to do that song justice!

I really hope we get a DVD of this tour.

• Like 1

You know I have to confess something...

I have a bizarre love/hate relationship with Oceanborn.

Somedays...I play it and I think it as an exceptional masterpiece.

Then today...I put it on and it was a real stinker. More than any other Nightwish album, this one can really sound shit to my ears. But on another day...it sounds magical!

Another album I struggle with is Once. I love it, song for song I do not dislike any (I even love the bonus tracks, something I rarely do for the previous albums). But as an album, it lacks something that makes it great. I HATE the face out on Ghost Love Score. I truly do...a song that BIG needed a grand finale. End of.

But I don't have any issues with Angels Fall First. I bloody love that album! These are my bottom three Nightwish albums, and I can safely say Oceanborn is my least favourite (I recently grew to enjoy Once a lot more than I used too). And I can even say now that I enjoy Once more than Angels Fall First.

I know AFF is not mkst fans idea of a great Nightwish album, but I love the boldness of it, and I have never found myself bored or irritated by it the way Oceanborn can do to me.

I will say that my five favourite Nightwish albums are five of the most perfect records I have EVER heard. And for the majority of its run time, Once is up there too (I just think that the style Nightwish tried to form on Once was bettered on DPP).

I'm watching some videos on YouTube of the current tour. Floor singing Deep Silent Complete was amazing! I thought it would be impossible for anyone but Tarja to do that song justice!

I was listening to a playlist I made of the current set yesterday and I kept wanting them to re-record everything with Floor. How she does these older songs live has spoiled me. Now I want to only hear her sing them all.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I was listening to a playlist I made of the current set yesterday and I kept wanting them to re-record everything with Floor. How she does these older songs live has spoiled me. Now I want to only hear her sing them all.

I've been saying this for a while.

Oddly I want the Anette era as it is (I love her tone), but Floor covering all the Wishmaster songs would, for example, satisfy me!

And her version of Nemo at Wembley made me weep. She brought the heavy emotion out of those lyrics, and added something to the song I never knew existed (it was always a mega catchy bop...failed to realise what a sad song it is).

Ok.

I will contradict myself.

Tuomas, let the woman record everything over!

I've been saying this for a while.

Oddly I want the Anette era as it is (I love her tone), but Floor covering all the Wishmaster songs would, for example, satisfy me!

And her version of Nemo at Wembley made me weep. She brought the heavy emotion out of those lyrics, and added something to the song I never knew existed (it was always a mega catchy bop...failed to realise what a sad song it is).

Ok.

I will contradict myself.

Tuomas, let the woman record everything over!

Nemo is Latin for "nothing". Once I found that out, I realised the sadness in the song. Floor does bring an emotion to the old songs that wasn't there before. I don't think I've heard better versions of Elvenpath, Sacrament Of Wilderness, Kinslayer, 10th Man Down and Slaying The Dreamer than I did at my show.

New album out in April. Looks like they're going prog as f**k with this one.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-announces-new-album-human-ii-nature/

They've had prog elements since day one. I can't wait!

So according to early reports from the Finnish press listen today, the first disc is diverse and full of world music inspired songs, and heavy, with a huge focus on Emppu's guitar. Apparently, I can't tell exactly as Google translate is awkward, it appears the first disc, Human, lacks the orchestra we know and love.

The second disc, Nature, is it seems a 35 minute instrumental, with all the orchestra we could possibly want. I look forward to English reports, but that's what it looks to be. And the response from the audience was apparently overwhelmingly positive.

First single, Noise, is a highly rated song.

Can't wait!

• Like 1

So according to early reports from the Finnish press listen today, the first disc is diverse and full of world music inspired songs, and heavy, with a huge focus on Emppu's guitar. Apparently, I can't tell exactly as Google translate is awkward, it appears the first disc, Human, lacks the orchestra we know and love.

The second disc, Nature, is it seems a 35 minute instrumental, with all the orchestra we could possibly want. I look forward to English reports, but that's what it looks to be. And the response from the audience was apparently overwhelmingly positive.

First single, Noise, is a highly rated song.

Can't wait!

I hope that translation is off because I would say no thank you to a 35 minute instrumental from pretty much any band. Seems like a waste of Floor's vocal talent as well.

"So, Tuomas, you have the most talented singer in the world. Her performances both live and in the studio have been meet with high praise by fans. What do you have planned next for Nightwish?"

"A 35 minute instrumental actually"

The interviewer looks at Tuomas dumbfounded and slowly gets up and walks away lol.

• Like 1