Nightwish

physics23

The North American tour starts tonight. I'll be seeing them a week from now. I'm sure the setlist will be up on setlist fm after the show and will probably be posted on the Nightwish message as well. I'll post a link to the set instead when we know what they played. Very curious to see what it will be.

Same!

I really hope that they do not shy away from their softer folkier moments. I know the heavy stuff must be more fun to play but lately it is the softer moments I have been finding the most rewarding, and more of that in the setlist can only be good in my book!

Setlist from opening night:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/hammerstein-ballroom-new-york-ny-5bc8b78c.html

f***in fantastic!! I can't wait to see them next week :haz:

I read that they have rehearsed six or seven other songs as well. So we may see a small rotation every few shows.

Amazing setlist! I am burnt out on Ghost Love Score but thats just a personal preference...would swap that for Song For Myself.

http://www.setlist.f...y-5bc8b78c.html

I read that they have rehearsed six or seven other songs as well. So we may see a small rotation every few shows.

Amazing setlist! I am burnt out on Ghost Love Score but thats just a personal preference...would swap that for Song For Myself.

That's one of the most uneven song trades ever. Song Of Myself is great but I don't think Floor did as good of a job with that song as she did with the superior GLS. Plus, there would be too many songs off the last album. I would rather have them drop IWMTB in favor of something off Century Child. I'm sure something will show up from that album during this tour though.

That's one of the most uneven song trades ever. Song Of Myself is great but I don't think Floor did as good of a job with that song as she did with the superior GLS. Plus, there would be too many songs off the last album. I would rather have them drop IWMTB in favor of something off Century Child. I'm sure something will show up from that album during this tour though.

Ok...how about...Beauty And The Beast (dude...I am so burned out in GLS...).

We should come up with our ideal setlists. *eek* I cannot wait until December!

Beauty Of The Beast for GLS? Now we're talkin!!!

If you're burnt out on GLS, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not like it was a big radio hit or anything. They didn't make that a regular song again until after Floor joined them. Unfortunately, most people who saw them on the North American tour for the last album didn't get that song. It makes sense for them to do it this time around. Nightwish tends to switch setlists up a bit the longer a tour goes. By the time you see them in December, who knows what they'll be doing? I mean the setlist on Showtime, Storytime is completely different than the one they started the Irum tour with.

• Like 1

Beauty Of The Beast for GLS? Now we're talkin!!!

If you're burnt out on GLS, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not like it was a big radio hit or anything. They didn't make that a regular song again until after Floor joined them. Unfortunately, most people who saw them on the North American tour for the last album didn't get that song. It makes sense for them to do it this time around. Nightwish tends to switch setlists up a bit the longer a tour goes. By the time you see them in December, who knows what they'll be doing? I mean the setlist on Showtime, Storytime is completely different than the one they started the Irum tour with.

Ya know...I replayed the video of Floor singing it and I was stupid to say I was burned out on it.

It is the bands own Xanadu, a terrific song! But I still want Beauty And The Beast as well, lol!

I love Beauty Of The Beast. That and The Poet & The Pendulum are the two songs I want to hear Floor sing the most. Followed closely by The Kinslayer.

TP&TP is my favourite Nightwish song. I would really love to hear her do it for sure! As for BATB, I think that is one of the most overlooked songs in the bands discography. I love Century Child (a very close second to DPP), and in all honesty, I think as I find EFMB so similar in many ways to CC, Floor would work brilliantly performing the entire album. CC is just magic, I find Once lacks that spark that returned with DPP.

What do you think of Once? I know it is a major favourite, and I love it, just not as much as the rest of their work.

I got to see Nightwish in Philly while I was on vacation and let me tell you it was something special to see Floor live!

She has an **AMAZING** stage presence. Plain and simple she owns the entire venue from the moment she walks onto the stage until the lights come up.

As for you guys who say drop GLS... I say "BITE ME!" LOL

Then again, this was the first time I actually got to see the band live in person so.... yeah ;)

As for EFMB... I finally had the opportunity to get into the album on my drive east and there are many bright spots and a few not so bright IMO.

Weak Fantasy is absolutely brilliant. (and it will own your soul live)

I understand that many people out there strongly disagree with the message of the song, but if you put that aside and just take it for a song...it's friggin beautiful (save the "Condescending Ape" line).

TGSOE is amazing (if not a bit too long). Yes, they could have trimmed off a few minutes and nobody would have blinked but I get why T.H. wanted it like it is. The Dawkins quotes are brilliant. "We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones" Love it!

Again, if you don't agree with the message (which many wont) at least enjoy the song itself.

Now for a couple pans:

1. I'm not a fan of Elan in the context of this album. Maybe I just don't see how it fits lyrically.... but musically as well it's the odd man out.

2. I don't like how the first 3/4 of the album is a prelude of sorts to TGSOE. There are so many pieces throughout the album which get repeated in TGSOE... it's a bit irritating.

3. I absolutely hate the very beginning of the title track. It sounds like a bad New Order song TBH.

That's about it. I'm hoping to get to go to Toronto tomorrow (today?) to see them again but the show is sold out and I'm not going to drive 4 hours each way just to be shut out. I can't go to Cleveland on Friday since I have to work and Buffalo is just too far away :(

Let me wrap up this little rant with one of my (many) favorite lines from the new album...

WE WERE HERE!!!

I AM SO EXCITED!

And let me say all my complaining about GLS was silly.

I may be burned out on the album version, but I cannot syop playing the live recordings! It comes alive in Floors hands in a way that makes it seem new to me.

BRIMG ON WEMBLEY

I still cannot find any weak moments on EFMB.

The fourth five star Nightwish album! I love it.

Bit disapointed to find that Dark Chest Of Wonders has been dropped. Really looking forward to it.

That's what happens when a band consistently comes out with one great album after another. They end up with too many good songs to play. Plus, they have to support the new album, so inevitably some of the old standards got to be dropped. They did Dark Chest both times I saw them on The Dark Passion Play tour, so i'm good with it not being played now. I certainly wouldn't complain if it was still in the set though. Even Rush gives some of their setlist mainstays a break and don't always play ever crowd favorite each tour.

Speaking of setlists, they did their first change at last night's show. They played Ever Dream in place of Nemo. The fans got a song upgrade with that switch.

Speaking of setlists, they did their first change at last night's show. They played Ever Dream in place of Nemo. The fans got a song upgrade with that switch.

I wouldn't call it an upgrade TBH.

Floor + Nemo = some serious chills.

Like many fans, Nemo was the first song I heard of this band.

But Ever Dream is on another level! But to be honest, I couldn't pick one song over another. I want both! But Ever Dream is the more beautiful track.

I'm a lyrics kinda person so when I get personally invested in a song with amazing lyrics it consumes me to a degree and that has been the case with Nemo since I read the following quote from T.H.:

"Not the fish! I cannot believe how everyone seems to be convinced it’s that. Nemo, which is Latin for "nobody," has nothing to do with the Disney film. It revolves around the feelings I have from time to time. I feel nameless and do not know who I am or where I will go. I only know my past and I long to be back there. The song is about being lost, not knowing where to go or what to do, yet desperate for everything in life. That’s not always me, but when I wrote Nemo, that’s the way I felt. Now I feel better." (Translated from the German)

–Tuomas Holopainen, Underground Empire

There have been times in my life when I could totally relate to those feelings so the song hits me VERY hard.

I'm a lyrics kinda person so when I get personally invested in a song with amazing lyrics it consumes me to a degree and that has been the case with Nemo since I read the following quote from T.H.:

"Not the fish! I cannot believe how everyone seems to be convinced it’s that. Nemo, which is Latin for "nobody," has nothing to do with the Disney film. It revolves around the feelings I have from time to time. I feel nameless and do not know who I am or where I will go. I only know my past and I long to be back there. The song is about being lost, not knowing where to go or what to do, yet desperate for everything in life. That’s not always me, but when I wrote Nemo, that’s the way I felt. Now I feel better." (Translated from the German)

–Tuomas Holopainen, Underground Empire

There have been times in my life when I could totally relate to those feelings so the song hits me VERY hard.

I always appreciated the meaning behind Nemo as well. I think it is beautiful, and I love it.

Floor + Any Nightwish song = chills.

I love Nemo. That and Wish I Had An Angel where the first two songs I ever heard from them back when Once came out. I'm in no way putting down Nemo. I like Ever Dream a little more and Century Child is my favorite Nightwish album. Having CC represented in the set now is the main reason I consider it an upgrade. With the inclusion of Ever Dream the set covers everything except their first album. They never play anything off that one anyways. If Ever Dream stays in the set, you now have as well balanced of a song selection as you can get. UPGRADE!!!

Floor + Any Nightwish song = chills.

I love Nemo. That and Wish I Had An Angel where the first two songs I ever heard from them back when Once came out. I'm in no way putting down Nemo. I like Ever Dream a little more and Century Child is my favorite Nightwish album. Having CC represented in the set now is the main reason I consider it an upgrade. With the inclusion of Ever Dream the set covers everything except their first album. They never play anything off that one anyways. If Ever Dream stays in the set, you now have as well balanced of a song selection as you can get. UPGRADE!!!

My two favourite Nightwish albums are CC and DPP. My least favourite is Once. Odd, as it is sandwiched between those two excellent albums. Nemo, GLS and The Siren are the only songs I think rank alongside their best ever. I find nothing mediocre about the rest, but somehow the album feels so cold, and Tarja, her voice is very icy on this album.

But Nemo is an anthem I want to hear live in December. Plus Everdream. It would be like going to see Rush only once in your lifetime and Tom Sawyer is replaced by Face Up.

I would be so disappointed if Nemo doesn't happen!

I wouldn't rank Once last, that goes to their first album. There's a few good songs on it but you can tell that they were a band that didn't know who they were or what they were doing yet. They started to find that on Oceanborn and have never looked back since. Every album from Oceanborn onwards gets a five star rating from me. If they were to play anything off the first album, I would like to hear Astral Romance or Know Why The Nightingale Sings and maybe the title track but they have so much better material i'm not bothered by them acting like the album never existed.

If I have to be honest, every Nightwish album gets a five-star from me. I am over the moon about this band, and have been for years, and they only get better with time. Once just feels so awkward to my ears in comparison to the rest of their catalogue, but do not get me wrong, it is incredible.

I have not only grown to enjoy AFF, but lately I have found it quite addictive, and it has a raw magic that I find very endearing. Plus, Elvenpath, Tutankhamen and Know Why The Nightingale Sings are four of my top Nightwish songs, alongside Astral Romance.

If I judge Nightwish albums only within the boundaries of the bands discography, I just do not find Once as fulfilling. But I love it. Picking a least favourite Nightiwsh album is very much like choosing which is the worst film, Alien or Aliens for me.

• Like 1

According to the venues facebook page, the show I'm going to tonight is sold out. This has got me even more excited for it. This is their first time playing here so it's nice to hear that they will be able to fill up a 1,200 capacity venue.

What an amazing show last night! It was great to see them play here for the first time in front of a sold out crowd. When a band has never played your town before, you have no way to know how well the turnout will be but the fans welcomed Nightwish to Buffalo with opened arms. There's no doubt in my mind they'll be back in the future because of this.

This was my fourth time seeing them (the other three were with Annette) and this was the best the band has ever sounded. Even without Jukka on drums, the live chemistry between them is just magic. Nightwish always has an excellent live sound with a lot of clarity. I'll go as far to say that they may be the best sounding live band i've ever heard. There never seems to be any sound issues with them. Everything comes through with CD like clarity live. Just flawless playing from everyone. It's always fun to see Tuomas headbanging away during the heavier tunes while playing the keyboards.

FLOOR!!!!! OH MY F'N GOD F'N FLOOR!!!!! The woman is just a superstar on that stage. Her height (she's gotta be over six foot tall, right?) really helps with the stage presence. She just towers at the front of that stage. Her vocals were perfect and she does a lot of little things with her body language and facial expressions that add so much more to the performance. She can go from nice and smiling to looking like an angry demon in a second. I'm sure the outfit she wore probably got a lot of discussion from people after the show. She showed off a lot of leg in an outfit I can best describe as something Xena Warrior Princess would have worn. But the woman just oozes charisma on stage. If you ever need a perfect example of what charisma is, all you need to do is watch Floor perform and you've got it. Her performance on GLS was the highlight of the show. God, I hope she stays with this band for the rest of their existence. I will be so heartbroken if she ever leaves or gets fired.

There were a few changes to the set. It seems like some of the songs that are "hits" or setlists staples like Nemo, Amaranth, Ever Dream and Dark Chest are getting rotated in and out now. The new stuff sounded fantastic and I didn't think it was possible to like Weak Fantasy more than I already do but that live version just destroys in every way you could imagine. The whole band was hedbanging during the heavier parts of the song and it's one of those live tunes that rocks you to your core. I hope it stays around for future tours.

Here's the setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/town-ballroom-buffalo-ny-53c88fb5.html

• Like 1

What an amazing show last night! It was great to see them play here for the first time in front of a sold out crowd. When a band has never played your town before, you have no way to know how well the turnout will be but the fans welcomed Nightwish to Buffalo with opened arms. There's no doubt in my mind they'll be back in the future because of this.

This was my fourth time seeing them (the other three were with Annette) and this was the best the band has ever sounded. Even without Jukka on drums, the live chemistry between them is just magic. Nightwish always has an excellent live sound with a lot of clarity. I'll go as far to say that they may be the best sounding live band i've ever heard. There never seems to be any sound issues with them. Everything comes through with CD like clarity live. Just flawless playing from everyone. It's always fun to see Tuomas headbanging away during the heavier tunes while playing the keyboards.

FLOOR!!!!! OH MY F'N GOD F'N FLOOR!!!!! The woman is just a superstar on that stage. Her height (she's gotta be over six foot tall, right?) really helps with the stage presence. She just towers at the front of that stage. Her vocals were perfect and she does a lot of little things with her body language and facial exp<b></b>ressions that add so much more to the performance. She can go from nice and smiling to looking like an angry demon in a second. I'm sure the outfit she wore probably got a lot of discussion from people after the show. She showed off a lot of leg in an outfit I can best describe as something Xena Warrior Princess would have worn. But the woman just oozes charisma on stage. If you ever need a perfect example of what charisma is, all you need to do is watch Floor perform and you've got it. Her performance on GLS was the highlight of the show. God, I hope she stays with this band for the rest of their existence. I will be so heartbroken if she ever leaves or gets fired.

There were a few changes to the set. It seems like some of the songs that are "hits" or setlists staples like Nemo, Amaranth, Ever Dream and Dark Chest are getting rotated in and out now. The new stuff sounded fantastic and I didn't think it was possible to like Weak Fantasy more than I already do but that live version just destroys in every way you could imagine. The whole band was hedbanging during the heavier parts of the song and it's one of those live tunes that rocks you to your core. I hope it stays around for future tours.

Here's the setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/town-ballroom-buffalo-ny-53c88fb5.html

I have to wait til December, but I am excited after reading this!

Floor is amazing, they should keep her forever.