Other bands you like that "women don't like"

gudbuytjane

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The artists I have really really gotten into, as in obsessively listened to albums over and over again at one point or another are The Beatles, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Traffic, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, and, of course, Rush.

There are lots of other groups that I like, but never to the level of these artists. Guess it is a pretty dated and conventional list, and not really guy bands. laugh.gif

edited to add: I can't believe I left my main man: Joe Walsh/ James Gang off the list.

Joe Walsh is sooo under rated. Godsmack just redid RMW. Guess that is giving him a little attention at least.

Edited by Animate

QUOTE (Tick @ Mar 15 2012, 05:50 PM)
Cool women like all good music. The other ones like Lady Gaga. atickhum.gif

Hey, I like Lady GaGa too! angry.gif

QUOTE (gudbuytjane @ Sep 20 2011, 12:36 AM)
I'm a fan of both progressive rock and heavy metal, two genres I find very much dominated by guys. Heavy metal definitely has a stronger presence of female fans, I find (and women making music, too). I've been very lucky to have had a couple of female metal fans as friends to be show buddies with over the years.

Iron Maiden comes to mind. I have yet to find another woman who loves Maiden as much as I do. I've contemplated a Trooper Eddie tattoo (as well as a Rush Starman).

I grew up in the hair metal days of the mid to late 80s, but generally liked more male oriented bands (early Metallica, AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Dio). I had a few female friends in high school who were metalheads, but they were the exception, not the rule.

Prog seems to have eluded most women's taste as well. I would think that perhaps the melodic quality of some of the music would be a nice change of pace, as would the lyrics (generally very little misogyny), but alas, no.

I'm also a big early Genesis fan (yes, we do exist!), but I developed that later in life. I saw The Musical Box perform, and I was hooked.

Edited by foxontherocks

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 20 2011, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 20 2011, 07:14 PM)
Yes, ELP, early Genesis.... Prog rock in general.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

nobody *actually* likes early Genesis. They just say they do to appear "cool"

The first release maybe so, but from Trespass on it is great stuff. I dig all the PG stuff, even though I think TLLDOB is a bit weak. There is no coolness about liking early Genesis. It is just good stuff.

QUOTE (Fly By Night fan @ May 2 2012, 06:48 PM)
I like Genesis, Savatage(a not so well known rock band), Black Sabbath, and Chris Caffery. I like lots of prog rock, hard rock, and heavy metal.

SAVATAGE!! LOVE THOSE GUYS!

I'm just a fan of prog rock/hard rock/heavy metal in general. I like a lot of different bands...some are more "manly" than others, I guess.

I honestly never thought about the whole "girls don't like Rush" thing until I went to my first concert in 1997. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the crowd and the male/female ratio until a few guys approached me during the intermission and commented about how much I rocked because I was a chick (there by her self...not attached to a guy) that was so into Rush. Those who have stood next to me at a concert know I rock it HARD the whole time I'm there! Always have, always will! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ May 6 2012, 08:37 AM)

I prefer Christopher Walken doing Lady GaGa...

Rush is weirdly unique for prog rock/metal for me. I like hard rock and metal, and I suppose it depends on how you define "progressive metal" or "progressive rock". I love any music, if its well done and honest.

I think Primus sounded like Rush have would if they started in the 80s (awesome openers, BTW...can't remember if it was HYF or Presto...) - though I only really like select albums (Frizzle Fry, Sailing on the Seas of Cheese, and the latest - Green Naugahyde) depending on my mood.

I love Tool and I adore Lateralus and 10,000 Days - remarkable albums. I find them very relaxing and hypnotic.

Back in the day, I loved Yes, Tull, ELP, Floyd. I found Genesis impenetrable and Crimson just freaky. I find that today, I really only still enjoy Tull - This Was... through Songs From the Wood and Crest of a Knave - wooo heavy metal wink.gif - and Floyd (I'm in the no Waters = no Floyd camp, and I prefer post-Barrett) and early Yes.

For the record, I like Lady Gaga (a modern day Madonna...<calls her neighbor on the phone...>) and Walken is great with Poker Face. So is Alice Cooper.

That's just my opinion...

smile.gif

Rush

Jethro Tull

Led Zeppelin

Steve Vai Steve Vai STEVE VAI!!!

Pink Floyd

Ozzy Osbourne

Queensryche

Steve Vai wink.gif

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jun 22 2012, 04:56 AM)
Rush
Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin
Steve Vai Steve Vai STEVE VAI!!!
Pink Floyd
Ozzy Osbourne
Queensryche
Steve Vai
wink.gif

I saw Vai with Billy Sheehan on bass a few years back. It was a small club, and I was right up front. Billy held his bass out to me and I plucked it. That was cool. Billy is no Geddy Lee, but man...he's a badass bassist, that's for sure!

And Steve...yeah, Steve is sex on legs, for sure! drool1.gif

Also, you mentioned Queensryche. I have seen QR like 5 or 6 times in concert, and I have met all the members (except Chris DeGarmo). Very nice guys, but beware. I sat and talked with Michael Wilton after a show once. We talked about Rush (told me about the time he and Chris got to meet Geddy and Alex and how cool they were) and just music in general. The whole time we were matching each other drink for drink. By the end of the night, he had proclaimed me as the new "Master of the Universe" and I never had such a horrible hangover in my entire life. Master of the universe, indeed! wacko.gif

Good times... 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 23 2012, 02:46 PM)
Also, you mentioned Queensryche. I have seen QR like 5 or 6 times in concert, and I have met all the members (except Chris DeGarmo). Very nice guys, but beware. I sat and talked with Michael Wilton after a show once. We talked about Rush (told me about the time he and Chris got to meet Geddy and Alex and how cool they were) and just music in general. The whole time we were matching each other drink for drink. By the end of the night, he had proclaimed me as the new "Master of the Universe" and I never had such a horrible hangover in my entire life. Master of the universe, indeed! wacko.gif

Good times... 1022.gif

I remember you telling me that story! Epic!!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 21 2012, 03:03 AM)

Christopher Walken is a god among us mortals biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 23 2012, 05:24 PM)

Indeed...if you never have, check out Eddie Izzard doing an impression of Christopher Walken. Talk about EPIC!!

And, yes...I actually still have a headache from drinking with Michael Wilton. He's maybe 5'5" (I'm 5'3") and he out drank me like a champ! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 23 2012, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jun 22 2012, 04:56 AM)
Rush
Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin
Steve Vai  Steve Vai  STEVE VAI!!!
Pink Floyd
Ozzy Osbourne
Queensryche
Steve Vai
  wink.gif

I saw Vai with Billy Sheehan on bass a few years back. It was a small club, and I was right up front. Billy held his bass out to me and I plucked it. That was cool. Billy is no Geddy Lee, but man...he's a badass bassist, that's for sure!

And Steve...yeah, Steve is sex on legs, for sure! drool1.gif

Good times... 1022.gif

I'll be seeing Steve in August! Sex on Legs is right. My Gods, the man is impossibly hot!!! bncegrn.gif drool1.gif heart.gif And the venue is general admission, so I'm planning on getting there early so I can grab a close spot. (*I'm visualizing myself right up at the edge of the freakin' stage.*) yes.gif

This time his bass man is the amazing Philip Bynoe.

http://kalabrand.com/Artists2012/PhillipBynoe.png

I am out-of-my-brain thrilled to see Bynoe, would have been just as thrilled to see Billy. Both are just insanely awesome. ( tied for second behind Ged. wink.gif )

I am ridiculously jealous that you got to meet Queensryche (OKay, why didn't you get to meet Chris?) But d@mn babe, even more that you got drinkin' with Michael! OMG, that had to be something else!

(Sorry to hear 'bout the hangover, though... ohmy.gif )

Steve Vai = AWESOME guitarist and GORGEOUSLY SEXY man!!!!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif firedevil.gif wub.gif firedevil.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

I hope you have the MOST WONDERFUL TIME of your life at the concert, Garden Dancer; you deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!! yes.gif trink39.gif bncegrn.gif cheer.gif common001.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Vive le Rush @ Jun 24 2012, 06:45 AM)
Steve Vai = AWESOME guitarist and GORGEOUSLY SEXY man!!!!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif firedevil.gif wub.gif firedevil.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

I hope you have the MOST WONDERFUL TIME of your life at the concert, Garden Dancer; you deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!! yes.gif trink39.gif bncegrn.gif cheer.gif common001.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And you, babe... enjoy your Rush show!

I am just a bit jealous that you're getting to do that VIP deal...

I know you're gonna love it! You have to tell me everything!!! wink.gif yes.gif heart.gif

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jun 24 2012, 07:13 AM)
QUOTE (Vive le Rush @ Jun 24 2012, 06:45 AM)
Steve Vai = AWESOME guitarist and GORGEOUSLY SEXY man!!!!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif  firedevil.gif  wub.gif  firedevil.gif  drool1.gif  drool1.gif  drool1.gif

I hope you have the MOST WONDERFUL TIME of your life at the concert, Garden Dancer; you deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!! yes.gif  trink39.gif  bncegrn.gif  cheer.gif  common001.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And you, babe... enjoy your Rush show!

I am just a bit jealous that you're getting to do that VIP deal...

I know you're gonna love it! You have to tell me everything!!! wink.gif yes.gif heart.gif

I would love to see Steve again. He's in Boise about a week before I leave for Toronto to see RUSH! So, if I can afford the 250 mile round trip drive and the ticket, then I'm there. It will be a last minute thing, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 23 2012, 07:13 PM)

Indeed...if you never have, check out Eddie Izzard doing an impression of Christopher Walken. Talk about EPIC!!

And, yes...I actually still have a headache from drinking with Michael Wilton. He's maybe 5'5" (I'm 5'3") and he out drank me like a champ! laugh.gif

Holy s@#$ I wept with mirth after watching Eddie Izzard imitate Christopher Walken. Eddie Izzard in stiletto boots imitating Christopher Walken? I think I'm in love (not that I wasn't already) wub.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 24 2012, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 23 2012, 07:13 PM)

Holy s@#$ I wept with mirth after watching Eddie Izzard imitate Christopher Walken. Eddie Izzard in stiletto boots imitating Christopher Walken? I think I'm in love (not that I wasn't already) wub.gif

Good stuff, eh? I laugh so hard every time I watch it.