Other bands you like that "women don't like"

gudbuytjane

What other bands or genres do you like that people usually assume women don't like? Do dudes ask you questions at shows like "You actually like this band?" Are people often shocked when they find out the bands you like?

I'm a fan of both progressive rock and heavy metal, two genres I find very much dominated by guys. Heavy metal definitely has a stronger presence of female fans, I find (and women making music, too). I've been very lucky to have had a couple of female metal fans as friends to be show buddies with over the years.

But prog rock? It is pretty freaking rare to find other women whose favourite albums include Close to the Edge, Selling England By The Pound, or In The Court of the Crimson King. biggrin.gif (Then again, it might not be so much a gender thing as the fact most people really really hate progressive rock.)

-Jane

2.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, ELP, early Genesis.... Prog rock in general.

death metal. most of the girls who go to metal shows are there with their guy friends/boyfriends, and try to dress as what they think is metal. most are there just trying to screw the band members. i call them metal poser sluts. it's annoying to me, a chick who actually digs the music. i tend to shove the little ones who think they're cute into the mosh pit smile.gif

QUOTE (gudbuytjane @ Sep 19 2011, 10:36 PM)
What other bands or genres do you like that people usually assume women don't like? Do dudes ask you questions at shows like "You actually like this band?" Are people often shocked when they find out the bands you like?

I'm a fan of both progressive rock and heavy metal, two genres I find very much dominated by guys. Heavy metal definitely has a stronger presence of female fans, I find (and women making music, too). I've been very lucky to have had a couple of female metal fans as friends to be show buddies with over the years.

But prog rock? It is pretty freaking rare to find other women whose favourite albums include Close to the Edge, Selling England By The Pound, or In The Court of the Crimson King. biggrin.gif (Then again, it might not be so much a gender thing as the fact most people really really hate progressive rock.)

-Jane

2.gif

Jethro Tull biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 20 2011, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 20 2011, 07:14 PM)

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

nobody *actually* likes early Genesis. They just say they do to appear "cool"

Just like you with your avatar.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 20 2011, 07:21 PM)
death metal. most of the girls who go to metal shows are there with their guy friends/boyfriends, and try to dress as what they think is metal. most are there just trying to screw the band members. i call them metal poser sluts. it's annoying to me, a chick who actually digs the music. i tend to shove the little ones who think they're cute into the mosh pit smile.gif

/This

I drag my man to these shows all the time. He's not a fan but he goes because I like it.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 20 2011, 10:11 PM)

Wait... there's a universe where liking early Genesis makes you cool? I've been hanging out in all the wrong places. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (YYZrocks @ Sep 20 2011, 11:01 PM)

Jethro Tull  biggrin.gif

Oh, yes, Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, Minstrel in the Gallery, and on and on... biggrin.gif

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Sep 21 2011, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 20 2011, 07:21 PM)

/This

I drag my man to these shows all the time. He's not a fan but he goes because I like it.

+1 for me too. Although, I don't have a "man" to drag to see the bands I like. But, I'm fortunate to have a son who shares my taste in music, so he's my metal concert buddy.

I thought about it, and besides -Jane-, I only know one other chick who likes death metal as much as I do. eh.gif

well, i did start going to metal shows with my boyfriend(now husband) when we just began dating. it was a cool way to get out for the night, and also see what he liked to do and the music he was into. but right from the get go i was into it.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 20 2011, 08:11 PM)

You know better than that wink.gif

Well ya know I was a young teen when all that music came out (and I thought Geddy Lee's voice was too high...back then).

So what is this? My son is also my concert buddy. We will be seeing Primus, Carl Palmer of ELP, and Furthur (2 of whom are Greatful Dead members). My kid dragged out my old turntable and he is buying 12 inch vinyl LP's. I mean I don't really care about going back to the old but great technology, but this maybe apparent resurgence of interest in the old music is prog rock? Or am I confused?

Well I have done Zep and Floyd to death so I am burnt on them. Early Genesis is truly cool-good to hear my kid play the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway; Tull's Thick as a Brick. I listened to Uriah Heep a few weeks ago-did I really love them? (at one time, yes). Oh oh oh. True story:

son n I went to see YES and bought a meet n greet. (Why oh why can I never buy a meet n greet w. the boys? sniff sniff). So we are in the front row and I am dancing my a..off to the fine music, wearing my RUSH Farewell to Kings shirt. After the show, I come to Alan White for his signature and he asks me if I want him to sign Neil's name on the shirt...I said sure with a big grin. That shirt is going on e-bay for $200. AFTER I DIE!!!!!!!!!

Love you all

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 20 2011, 09:21 PM)

I know what you mean. But at least they are out there with their boyfriends trying something new and maybe having a good time. When it comes to Death Metal my boyfriend and I love the same stuff. I've even introduced him to bands he'd never heard of and now loves.

Steely Dan! Early Genesis! Early King Crimson! Yes! Jethro Tull! Talking Heads!

I love groups like Alice Cooper, Metallica, Breaking Benjamin, Marilyn Manson, Seether and of course Rush, to name a few. I don't really care for heavy metal all that much, but I do like some Slipknot and KoRn when the mood strikes me. wink.gif

Rush is a band that the female fans can love as much as, if not better than, the male fans. It's not so much a matter of gender as it is a matter of musical taste. Thankfully, Rush's fan base isn't purely male anymore. laugh.gif

As far as I'm concerned, one doesn't have to be a certain gender or any other demographic to enjoy and appreciate good music. Music reaches far and wide, to both men and women; there's something for everyone. If it's good, it's good. It doesn't matter what genre it is. Diversity is a good thing. biggrin.gif

Just my two cents. tongue.gif

heavy metal!!!

My husband actually was the one who got me into it. And now I love it. so yes, I was introduced to it because of a man. but it's my choice to love it =]

Slayer, king diamond/mercyful fate, megadeth, OLD Metallica.....list goes on and on.

Other bands that ladies typically aren't thought to like? Yngwie Malmsteen, Alan Parsons Project.....I like 'em .

I would do many things for AC/DC tix. Hell, to just sit outside the venue and put my ear against the wall!

....you don't even know.

MANY things lmao.

Cool women like all good music. The other ones like Lady Gaga. atickhum.gif

I was with a beautiful girl when I was a teen, God was a she an absolute drop dead gorgeous girl but she had a flaw , she didn't like RUSH.

I was also going out with another girl around about the same time only she loves RUSH, we wound up spending more time together, so much time in fact 20 something years later we decided we should probably make it legal.

The fact that RUSH exists basically halfway decided my fate smile.gif pretty much