Stargate SG-1

CMWriter

So I'm trying this blog thing again. I really think I can do it this time. This is something new and exciting, and I'm doing it on...

...Stargate SG-1!

I was wandering around the library the other day and I happened upon the first season. It's one of the few more popular scifis I don't know, so I figured, "Why not? I might as well." So I'll be blogging episode-by-episode my way through the series, start to finish.

I saw the movie.. a long time ago. I hardly remember it. But it was pretty good, so maybe the spin-off series could be all right. I'm all of one episode through.

I guess this thread is just for general SG-1 discussion. It seems interesting (try to warn me if you're gonna talk spoilers!) and I'd like to know your guys' thoughts on it, if you've seen it. biggrin.gif

Find the blog HERE!

Edited by CMWriter

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely LOVE Stargate SG-1! (hmm, we seem to watch a lot of the same shows)

Since you're just checking it out for the first time, you're in for a treat. Jack O'Neill has got to be one of my favourite characters in anything (he's just so damn funny laugh.gif ) and his developing friendship with Daniel Jackson is great.

I wont be dropping any Spoilers (since you're kind enough not to do the same for me with DS9) but I hope you enjoy it. As with most shows, it picks up a fair bit after the first season (although, it does have an annoying tendency to through in too many "Clip-shows" along the way eh.gif )

Edited by Your_Lion

Edit: New blog post up; episode two review here!

Haha, at last this thread gets some love! laugh.gif

I just finished the first actual episode (post-pilot) yesterday. I'll blog about it today once I get my notes typed up. I think Jack is cool but Teal'c is my absolute faaaaavourite. wub.gif I just think he's awesome! He fills the outsider role quite nicely and I'll be interested to see how he develops throughout the series.

I'm really excited for the third episode because I want to see them actually go through the Stargate instead of just hang out on the base all day. |:

Edited by CMWriter

Yeah, Teal'c is awesome...and gets more so. He's the guy who can steal a scene merely by raising an eyebrow and tilting his head slightly (just watch..it happens a lot)

I'll continue to enjoy reading your reviews

"Emancipation" (1x03) review right here!

So far Capt. Carter as a character kind of annoys me. I can't really gauge Amanda Tapping as an actress yet, but the whole "super-feminist" deal is kind of irritating. It's like, "Calm down girl! The world is not your sexist enemy!" Still, she's kind of quirky and I look forward to watching her evolve. (I'm thinking O'Neill x Carter in the future..? ...Nah.)

I just watched "The Broca Divide" and I'll do a review tomorrow. But I liked that I got to see more Teal'c. wub.gif Seriously! I can't get enough of that guy! It's just like you said. One tilt of the head and the scene is stolen. He reminds me of Worf so much it's not even funny. You should see me; I'm grinning like a fool just typing this. He's so honourable it breaks my heart. heart.gif

...My God, I just realized what it is.

He's the "Spock" of SG-1.

Stealing hearts since July 27, 1997.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 20 2011, 07:34 AM)
So far Capt. Carter as a character kind of annoys me. I can't really gauge Amanda Tapping as an actress yet, but the whole "super-feminist" deal is kind of irritating. It's like, "Calm down girl! The world is not your sexist enemy!"

I think everyone involved in the show feels embarrassed about they handled that aspect at the start. That line of dialog in the first episode (about reproductive organs on the inside) gets mocked quite a few times over the course of the series with various in-jokes...Amanda Tapping reveals in interviews how embarrassed she was having to deliver the line

Don't worry, the "super-feminist" thing isn't really part of Sam's character...in fact, I forgot it was there at all, until you reminded me.

on a side note: You'll get to see Armin Shimerman shortly, in a very un-Quark-like role

Edited by Your_Lion

UPDATE: "The Broca Divide" (1x05) review here!

I liked this episode. You'll see my feelings at the end. |3

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 20 2011, 07:34 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 20 2011, 07:34 AM)
So far Capt. Carter as a character kind of annoys me. I can't really gauge Amanda Tapping as an actress yet, but the whole "super-feminist" deal is kind of irritating. It's like, "Calm down girl! The world is not your sexist enemy!"

I think everyone involved in the show feels embarrassed about they handled that aspect at the start. That line of dialog in the first episode (about reproductive organs on the inside) gets mocked quite a few times over the course of the series with various in-jokes...Amanda Tapping reveals in interviews how embarrassed she was having to deliver the line

Don't worry, the "super-feminist" thing isn't really part of Sam's character...in fact, I forgot it was there at all, until you reminded me.

on a side note: You'll get to see Armin Shimerman shortly, in a very un-Quark-like role

Ahh... Okay, yeah, I guess that makes sense. I mean, trying to establish the character still.. Like I said, I'll give it time. But it's very heartening to hear that she does improve as a character.

Oh? Armin Shimerman? I'll be watching for sure! laugh.gif He seems to pop up in everything from Star Trek to Boston Legal.. He's a pretty versatile actor, though, so I look forward to it. (:

I like to see actors in different sort of roles, anyways. Just yesterday I found an episode of No Ordinary Family that Anthony Michael Hall had guest-starred in. QUITE different from his roles as a teenager as the awkward nerdy guy or as the ever-hero Johnny Smith in USA's The Dead Zone. It was kind of creepy how well he played the villain role.

Edited by CMWriter

I can't edit my last post (bah!) so here's your next blog update:

"The First Commandment" (1x06)

But I won't make this purely a bump.

I've noticed a recurring theme of religion/deities in this series. There's a really great line from Teal'c in the above episode where he says in response to Jamala claiming that Captain Hanson must be a deity, "Power alone does not make a god," referring to the Goa'uld, of course. Pretty much wherever SG-1 travels, they're revered, since the Goa'uld exploited the Stargate and got everyone in the galaxy to think they're gods.

Of course it's also a little cliche. The good guys come in, wipe out any sort of insinuation they're anything special, and then change the world in 48 hours. Obviously the "Prime Directive" concept isn't huge with these guys, but oh well. It's interesting nonetheless and I mention this in my recent post.

Thoughts?

Yeah, most of the "Prime Directive" elements in SG-1 come from other more advanced races refusing to share their technology with Earth (you'll meet one in an upcoming episode called "Enigma")...so it's more of a shoes-on-the-other-foot situation.

In Star-Trek terms, the SGC is still "childish" and "primitive".

Instead of a prime directive, it's mostly more of a conflict between the military attitudes of O'Niell, who wants to find technology to defend the Earth from the Goa'uld, and Daniel Jackson, who wants to study the new cultures they meet. It's that conflict between them that makes their growing friendship all the more interesting.

Update: "Brief Candle" (1x07) review here!

"Cold Lazarus" (1x08) review here!

"Thor's Hammer" (1x09) review here!

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 21 2011, 07:09 AM)
Yeah, most of the "Prime Directive" elements in SG-1 come from other more advanced races refusing to share their technology with Earth (you'll meet one in an upcoming episode called "Enigma")...so it's more of a shoes-on-the-other-foot situation.
In Star-Trek terms, the SGC is still "childish" and "primitive".

Instead of a prime directive, it's mostly more of a conflict between the military attitudes of O'Niell, who wants to find technology to defend the Earth from the Goa'uld, and Daniel Jackson, who wants to study the new cultures they meet. It's that conflict between them that makes their growing friendship all the more interesting.

I've kind of noticed that -- what you said about O'Neill and Jackson. I've mentioned it but it's so recurring: Jackson has lived with another culture (a completely different one at that) so he's probably more sensitive to things like anthropology. And like you said, he's a scientist. Our good friend Jack is pretty hard-core military and has the ultimate means in mind during each mission. I think it's that difference that makes them each very interesting characters though.

Also, Gen. Hammond has always been kind of interesting to me. I can't quite figure out what his true place in all of this is.. any thoughts, without too many spoilers? smile.gif

Edited by CMWriter

I've just started watching season 8 of SG-1. It's a couple of years, at least, since I finished season 7, but I figured I needed to get back to it, especially as I'm intending to rewatch Atlantis shortly, having just got the blu-ray set.

I like SG-1 a lot. For me, it took until the 4th season before it really started to get good, although there was enough before that to keep me watching. Personally - and I know I'm probably in a minority here - I prefer Atlantis, but I don't want to hijack the thread and start talking about that.

Anyway, in the last few days I've gone back to SG-1 and rewatched 7x21 and 7x22, and started on 8x01/8x02. It's good stuff, and I'm now thinking of watching seasons 8, 9 and 10 alongside my Atlantis rewatch. If only I had the time laugh.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 21 2011, 07:24 PM)
Also, Gen. Hammond has always been kind of interesting to me. I can't quite figure out what his true place in all of this is.. any thoughts, without too many spoilers? smile.gif

Hammond is definitely a character you will come to love (or I do anyway laugh.gif ) and it's always cool those rare times when he gets to take part in the action (can you picture Hammond and Teal'c piloting a Goa'uld glider?: Teal'c raising his eyebrow in amusement as Hammond yells "Yee-Haaaw!" Well that's some of the fun in store)

He also plays a big part when they've got to deal with shady Government goings on...but I'll stop there, before I get too spoilery.

I'm enjoying reading your reviews. It's bringing back a lot of memories. I can't help but smile at some of your comments, knowing what's to come wink.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 22 2011, 08:04 AM)
Hammond is definitely a character you will come to love (or I do anyway laugh.gif ) and it's always cool those rare times when he gets to take part in the action (can you picture Hammond and Teal'c piloting a Goa'uld glider?: Teal'c raising his eyebrow in amusement as Hammond yells "Yee-Haaaw!" Well that's some of the fun in store)
He also plays a big part when they've got to deal with shady Government goings on...but I'll stop there, before I get too spoilery.

I'm enjoying reading your reviews. It's bringing back a lot of memories. I can't help but smile at some of your comments, knowing what's to come wink.gif

Ooohh wow. That sounds like an episode not to be missed! I look forward to it, though! I like those kind of side characters, usually giving orders, but then when they get into the action they really get into it. It'll be nice to see him somewhere other than the conference table... er, "the hangout". tongue.gif

Just thought I'd mention, incase there was any confusion. The Catherine Langford character is meant to be the same woman from the original Stargate movie, who enlisted Daniel into the Stargate program in the first place.

Ooohh!! That makes a lot more sense, then, why she would be there! Okay. Yeah. Thanks. That clears up about a thousand things about that plot.

On another point...
Have you not had "The Nox" episode yet? Because it's episode 7 on my DVDs.

Okay, yeah, I don't know what's up with my DVDs, but "The Nox" isn't up yet. No idea what's going on. I have it on my DVD set as after "Fire and Water", which is right after "Bloodlines" (which I just watched and have yet to review and it was an AMAZING EPISODE). I don't know what's up with that; I'm just going through the order of the DVD.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 19 2011, 04:33 PM)
Yeah, Teal'c is awesome...and gets more so. He's the guy who can steal a scene merely by raising an eyebrow and tilting his head slightly (just watch..it happens a lot)

Indeed

Update: "Bloodlines" (1x11) review here!

Be warned... I really, really liked this episode and so I kinda wrote a ton.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Sep 22 2011, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 19 2011, 04:33 PM)

Indeed

laugh.gif

You should be proud of me. I actually got that reference.

So I've heard from the folks over at Gateworld Forum that the socially accepted "nickname" for a Stargate fan is "Gater" or "Gatehead" or something. But I know you guys better, so... any insight?

I'm certainly no stranger to the concept. X-Files fans were "X-Philes", for Harry Potter is "Potterhead" or something along those lines, Star Trek is "Trekkie" or "Trekker", DS9 is "Niner" (not as widely used), on and on...

Oh, Lion pointed this out already but I finished the review for "The Torment of Tantalus" (1x10).

I'm going to rewatch "Bloodlines" because it was so amazing and brilliant and it deserves to be rewatched before I start writing because Teal'c is an adorable father and he makes me want to weep with happiness. ;w;

/end fangirling

Edited by CMWriter

biggrin.gif I had a feeling you'd love Bloodlines, being such a Teal'c fan.

Good to see you're a fan of Bra-tac too, because there's a lot more of him to come.

Finished another Blog! This one's for "The Nox" (1x13, at least on my count going through the DVD episodes.).

Click here for it!

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 23 2011, 05:17 AM)
biggrin.gif I had a feeling you'd love Bloodlines, being such a Teal'c fan.
Good to see you're a fan of Bra-tac too, because there's a lot more of him to come.

Gaah don't tell me that! x3

(Nah, it's okay. It's not much of a spoiler. I'd kind of figured that.)

Anyways, just finished up "Fire and Water" (1x12), which is right... here.

It's really not as long as the last review. I just really wanted to write a lulzy crossover at the end because my Harry Potter fanatic side took over.

Edited by CMWriter

laugh.gif I wondered how long it would be before you were sporting a custom Stargate avatar...love it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And if you were that excited about Armin Shimerman, just wait until you see Rene Auberjonois (that's not for a while yet, though wink.gif )

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Sep 25 2011, 08:50 AM)
laugh.gif I wondered how long it would be before you were sporting a custom Stargate avatar...love it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And if you were that excited about Armin Shimerman, just wait until you see Rene Auberjonois (that's not for a while yet, though wink.gif )

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

RENE!?

IN MY STARGATE!?

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

653.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif wub.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif 653.gif

AAHH YAY

Now I'm super-excited

but I'm not going to look up what episode or what season. I'll just wait, watch, and be prepared.

Oh, ahem, and yes, it was coming eventually. xD I enjoyed making it! Really quite proud of how it turned out. I like the sig' I came up with too.

(Don't push me through! I think the coordinates are set for Chulak! wacko.gif)

I finished my review of "Cor-Ai" and this episode made me want to die of happiness and fall apart weeping and track down Christopher Judge and give him a hug all the same time because he and R.D.A. were just absolutely phenomenal in one of their scenes together (the courtroom one where it's just the two of them).

It is unreal how much I enjoyed this episode. Yes, I am COMPLETELY biased towards Teal'c and I fully admit that but in every other aspect I found it brilliant.

Scratch that. I need to figure out who wrote this episode.

They need a hug, too. Or at least a nice letter.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 25 2011, 11:54 PM)
I finished my review of "Cor-Ai" and this episode made me want to die of happiness and fall apart weeping and track down Christopher Judge and give him a hug all the same time because he and R.D.A. were just absolutely phenomenal in one of their scenes together (the courtroom one where it's just the two of them).

It is unreal how much I enjoyed this episode. Yes, I am COMPLETELY biased towards Teal'c and I fully admit that but in every other aspect I found it brilliant.

Scratch that. I need to figure out who wrote this episode.
They need a hug, too. Or at least a nice letter.

Indeed. You have learned much, sister of Daniel Jackson. Time for you to rest. I will post guards at your door. Sleep well.

smile.gif

(we need a teal'c smiley oh wait...here it is angry.gif indeed this IS my happy face)

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Sep 26 2011, 01:10 AM)

Indeed.  You have learned much, sister of Daniel Jackson.  Time for you to rest.  I will post guards at your door.  Sleep well.

smile.gif

(we need a teal'c smiley  oh wait...here it is  angry.gif  indeed this IS my happy face)

Wait a second - sister of Daniel Jackson? What?

I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE.

/identity crisis

Lol! I love it when O'Neill is like, "Smile!" or "Try to look friendly!" and it just comes off as worse with O'Neill. Reminds me of a scene from Star Trek: DS9 when Odo is trying to get a Jem'Hadar to smile. So funny.

From the episode I just finished, "Singularity" (1x16):

There's a smile!

http://i53.tinypic.com/mbofno.jpg

Oh wait... never mind.

http://i55.tinypic.com/34976oj.jpg

But on a related note, there really is a strange sort of dynamic between Teal'c and O'Neill. I'm still trying to figure it out, but I have a feeling it might kind of come back to the fact that they have both (more or less, respectively) lost their sons, and they're both seasoned soldiers. I've noticed they have a surprising amount in common and I'm interested to see how this plays out in the future.

They're bros, man. Totally.