Assistance Needed

kastekniv

Ok, it all started when my friend in high school got in a friendly argument with a Yes fan about "who was better." Actual quote, "...but Yes is classically trained." (my friend's response was "don't go there b***h") I can help him but I need mobilization from the troops for the big guns. It could be a prog. rock debate but the big question is the BIG question... which is the BEST song by Rush. I know it is impossible, but to go up against Yes, my friend has to pick one to battle. It's a song-off. Time is of the essence. I need some professors.

Kasekniv

pokey.gif

I said 2112 at first. And Sfuentes, I actually suggested that we get a cut out of Geddy's spacehip you have on your post and show it to him. HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT! Thanks. fing.gif

QUOTE (kastekniv @ May 18 2005, 10:04 PM)
I said 2112 at first. And Sfuentes, I actually suggested that we get a cut out of Geddy's spacehip you have on your post and show it to him. HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT! Thanks. fing.gif

His jet is pretty awesome. yes.gif laugh.gif

I've compiled a list of how Rush is a great band and really should be considered one of the best bands of all time.

1) They have remained loyal to themselves and their fans.

2) Their line-up has remained unchanged for over thirty years.

3) They will not compromise the band's integrity for the sake of sales.

4) They have always put musicianship first, and themselves after.

5) They are role models - people your kids can look up to.

6) They have given back to their fan base on a regular basis.

7) They are willing to accept what their fans want from them.

8) They have been inspirations to bands everywhere.

9) Their lyrics are insightful and not full of curse words.

10) They have always toured and delivered the best performances they can possibly do.

11) They don't care about fame or fourtune.

12) Despite receiving a lot of flack from the mainstream media, they are unfazed at any of the critics' unjustly criticism.

13) They appreciate their fans and their loyalty.

14) More often than not they have always informed their fans of their status.

15) They are still alive today and show no signs of retiring.

This is a difficult choice to make, for both bands are truely exceptional in my eyes. Both of the parties in this arguement should at least be able to respect both bands for thier musical contributions and statements. But my preference leans towards the Rush side of the spectrum, as I am sure it does with most people on here (this is a Rush board tongue.gif)

For a counterarguement...

Yes, the band Yes has an astounding body of work for the most part, which was definatly helped by all of the members virtuosity in thier respective part in the band. But as time wore on with them, thier music began to loose the brilliance that were present in earlier works such as The Fragile or Close To The Edge. I am not familiar with the majority of thier body of work post 90125, so I cannot definitively comment on this portion of thier career. From what I have heard though, it isnt the most spectacular music that has been put forth.

With Rush, this is a completely different story. As time progressed, the bands music stayed pretty consistant in terms of quality. Some can argue certain specific albums were poorer choices in terms of the musical directions taken in them, but you have to give them credit for being adventerous and attempting to create a different album then the one before it. With every new album, you get a new flavor of Rush, and therefore it is almost impossible to become dissatisfied with thier body of work as a whole, as it encompasses such a diverse array of musical aspects.

I went to both the Yes show and the Rush show last year. Yes's setlist consisted about 90% of music that occured in the 70's, thier peak of musical quality. Rush's show played the same amount, if not more new material in thier show, prooving they are not living in the past with their music, but pushing forward.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 19 2005, 01:25 AM)
This is a difficult choice to make, for both bands are truely exceptional in my eyes.  Both of the parties in this arguement should at least be able to respect both bands for thier musical contributions and statements.  But my preference leans towards the Rush side of the spectrum, as I am sure it does with most people on here (this is a Rush board tongue.gif)

For a counterarguement...

Yes, the band Yes has an astounding body of work for the most part, which was definatly helped by all of the members virtuosity in thier respective part in the band.  But as time wore on with them, thier music began to loose the brilliance that were present in earlier works such as The Fragile or Close To The Edge.  I am not familiar with the majority of thier body of work post 90125, so I cannot definitively comment on this portion of thier career.  From what I have heard though, it isnt the most spectacular music that has been put forth.

With Rush, this is a completely different story.  As time progressed, the bands music stayed pretty consistant in terms of quality.  Some can argue certain specific albums were poorer choices in terms of the musical directions taken in them, but you have to give them credit for being adventerous and attempting to create a different album then the one before it.  With every new album, you get a new flavor of Rush, and therefore it is almost impossible to become dissatisfied with thier body of work as a whole, as it encompasses such a diverse array of musical aspects.

I went to both the Yes show and the Rush show last year.  Yes's setlist consisted about 90% of music that occured in the 70's, thier peak of musical quality.  Rush's show played the same amount, if not more new material in thier show, prooving they are not living in the past with their music, but pushing forward.

Well Said new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif By the way you are jammin dude 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

Yes has always been one of my favorites i wonder what song from them the other guy picked? Thats the only way to match strategy Hope it's '"Tales From Topographic Oceans" A flawed masterpiece that's almost non listenable. Sorry thats the worst i can dis Yes! I think it's silly anyway RUSH VS YES, Most of us are fans of both! smile.gif

Yeah, I thought so. I have proposed a staged song-off at the school, with two cars parked end-to-end, doors opened. This is really unfair since I have a Bose speaker system with a 5-channel amplifier and subwoofer. I will be wearing my 2.gif sweatshirt. I'm kinda competitive, especially when it comes to my favorite bands.

If the purpose of the exercise is to demonstrate musicianship, I'd go with a cross section of old and new. My suggestion to counter the "classically trained" arguement would be La Villa Strangiato, followed by Fear (Pts 1 - 4).

This combo demonstrates both virtuosity and the sense of rhythm and timing, fuelled by Neil's drumming.

They don't stand a chance against "Drama" though!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ May 19 2005, 05:59 AM)
bekloppt.gif Welcome!

But i'd go with
1. 2112

2. 30 years and still going strong!

I like Yes, but nowhere near as much as 2.gif

I find a lot of Yessongs too complicated for my liking, an example is 'Tales from...'

I also think they are not as good as they are cracked up to be live.....please feel free to slay me on this, but I own 'Yessongs' and maybe its the recording, but some of it is not up to a great standard. I really only play 'Starship Trooper' as I just LOVE the ending biggrin.gif

The only problem with rubbing-in 30-years slacker, is that Yes have done 35!

Interesting fact: Do you now that Rick Wakeman is a Manchester City fan? And at one stage he nearly bought the club?

How about the fact that if you put all the members of Yes together on stage, they'd be falling off from lack of room. So much turnover in that band.

Nothing against Yes - they are good. I don't really consider Rush much of a Progrock band, to begin with.

Whereas Rush... You have 3 guys. THREE. That's all. Same 3 for 30 years, and not one record sounds anything like the one previous. THAT's untouchable.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 19 2005, 07:38 PM)
How about the fact that if you put all the members of Yes together on stage, they'd be falling off from lack of room. So much turnover in that band.

Nothing against Yes - they are good. I don't really consider Rush much of a Progrock band, to begin with.

Whereas Rush... You have 3 guys. THREE. That's all. Same 3 for 30 years, and not one record sounds anything like the one previous. THAT's untouchable.

goodpost.gif Pags new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Couldn't have put it better myself

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 19 2005, 11:55 PM)
Just let it be known I have huge respect for both bands. I just prefer Rush over Yes. If I really wanted to, I could find reasons why Yes is better then Rush, it just wouldnt be my opinion tongue.gif

I really do like Yes a lot, and is a band I don't own enough of. I think I need to change that.

Still.... not on the same playing field as Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

Thanks all. We're going to do it tomorrow (Friday). I'm Pretty confident in Rush. My friend recruited a few Rush fans from school. Also, I found out that the yes.gif fan hasn't even heard 2112. This means he probably hasn't heard a lot of Rush at all! I listened to the full 2112 and it's not going to be a problem. Anyhoo. Just friendly competition.

Hope it's '"Tales From Topographic Oceans" A flawed masterpiece that's almost non listenable.

Actually, I think Tales from Topographic Oceans was the most phenomenal thing Yes ever did, and in all honesty, I don't know if any one Rush album can stand up to it. Talk about epic prog rock - Yes took it to the limit with this one, outdoing all the prog rockers at the time by making a double album, meaning 4 sides, with only 4 songs! Yes, 4 20-minute epics that are rich, complex, quirky, challenging and interesting. It's one of my all time favorite albums, and certainly one of my all time favorite progressive rock albums in a heartbeat. Maybe if it were a single album, I would say a few Rush albums are better, but as a highly successful double (and that's a lot of minutes without filler tracks), it is one of the great works of the 70's IMHO.

Now, that being said, I prefer Rush to Yes for one simple reason - they're more listenable. Yes can be a challenge, and I don't find myself listening to them anywhere near as often as the more accessible Rush albums which are complex and mature, yet go down so easy. Yes has always been brilliant for me in small doses - I would say that musicianship-wise Yes and Rush are in the same ballpark, which says a tremendous amount for both groups.

Yes made the best album, but Rush is the better group in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 7 2005, 06:56 PM)
Hope it's '"Tales From Topographic Oceans" A flawed masterpiece that's almost non listenable.

Actually, I think Tales from Topographic Oceans was the most phenomenal thing Yes ever did, and in all honesty, I don't know if any one Rush album can stand up to it. Talk about epic prog rock - Yes took it to the limit with this one, outdoing all the prog rockers at the time by making a double album, meaning 4 sides, with only 4 songs! Yes, 4 20-minute epics that are rich, complex, quirky, challenging and interesting. It's one of my all time favorite albums, and certainly one of my all time favorite progressive rock albums in a heartbeat. Maybe if it were a single album, I would say a few Rush albums are better, but as a highly successful double (and that's a lot of minutes without filler tracks), it is one of the great works of the 70's IMHO.

Now, that being said, I prefer Rush to Yes for one simple reason - they're more listenable. Yes can be a challenge, and I don't find myself listening to them anywhere near as often as the more accessible Rush albums which are complex and mature, yet go down so easy. Yes has always been brilliant for me in small doses - I would say that musicianship-wise Yes and Rush are in the same ballpark, which says a tremendous amount for both groups.

Yes made the best album, but Rush is the better group in a heartbeat.

I respect and enjoyed reading your'e analysis of Tales and your'e probably right it's the zenith of prog rock. But like you with RUSH Caress of steel , this one has always been hard for me to get into. smile.gif

I just wanted to make one last note on YES, Tales From Topographic Oceans. I realize the worth of this effort that's why I called it a flawed masterpiece just on size alone! It has it's moments for me The beginning THE REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD DANCE OF THE DAWN. and the end RITUAL. The stuff in middle is rather tedious at least to me. ENOUGH SAID. Just my point of view! smile.gif

Two completely different animals. To me, the only similarity is Ged and Jon both have high voices. That is where the similarities end.

Both bands have been favs of mine for over 30 years ... i grew up with their music, RUSH is my fav, but not because they are better. Both bands are comprised of world class musicians. Not much separates their talent/ abilities and creativity. So it really is moot in my book. But, here are a few observations.

As far as playing ability, I feel that Alex could play anything Steve or Trevor could play and vice versa. Although Steve is a cleaner picker. Same with Geddy and Chris.

One place where Yes has the edge is on the keys. Rick Wakeman is a master pianist. Truely world class. Geddy is a good keyboardist, but I have never seen any evidence that he is anything more than that.

Also, melodically, Yes is in a different world. Layered harmonies, greater range ... much more variation ... etc.

Where RUSH has the edge is percussion. I doubt that Alan could match Neil. I am sure would come very close though. Bruford too.

the bottom line to me is ... who cares? I LOVE both bands ...

Archived