SCREW YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!!

Albone2112

I'm sorry for offending anybody with my comment. The b_sigh.gif was actually my discontent at the change. I actually think that's really stupid and I am also kind of mad. However, I don't think it's too much in the grand scheme of things to get worked up over. I totally understand if you were like a Star Wars freak (in a good way) or something, but none of you come across like that. I would just watch the originals on DVD and get over it.

confused13.gif

(Again, sorry of I come across bluntly)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 2 2011, 01:18 AM)
I hear exactly what you're saying. However, it is very hard to explain the Star Wars phenomena to anyone that wasn't around in the late 70s/early 80s when episodes 4-6 came out. I had a discussion about it with some friends just a few weeks ago. The dudes in their 20s simply could not/would not accept that it was a groundbreaking experience (regardless of whether or not one liked the stories themselves). We weren't really even talking about the movie...we were talking the influence and impact on Hollywood, American culture, entertainment through technology, etc. Funnily, I don't even like Star Wars that much but I like it enough to never watch any updated version that'll warp or cheapen my childhood memories.

On the contrary, I think any young person who knows their film history even a little bit will know just how huge Star Wars was. In fact, I think we discussed it a little bit in my US History course in high school. laugh.gif

In terms of emotional attachment to the fandom, or even just a nostalgic one, it's because you know how groundbreaking it was. This may be a stretch, but I'd say it was the first really popular sci-fi film. The fact that I can talk to my (normal tongue.gif) friends and gush about Han Solo's epic hotness is key.

(I've accepted that they will never see Leonard Nimoy the same way I do.)

It's been embedded into our western culture (and maybe eastern too) as a classic. It had everything: Pretty good characters, some very good lines here and there, a sexy "damsel in".. well, not quite distress, she could hold her own against anyone, an apprentice with a sort of prophecy behind him, an old master teaching that student...

With all the things Star Wars IV, V, VI did right it's heartbreaking to see any changes done because the original product was just so good.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 2 2011, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 2 2011, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 2 2011, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 1 2011, 07:03 PM)
b_sigh.gif

And yet... we're getting all super-worked up over A MOVIE.

Two things. First, When Harry Met Sally was a movie. Star Wars has made more money, franchise-wide, than most nations are worth. It transcends "it's a movie".

Second, what's something you love? Do you love baseball? Do you love pizza? Do you love 2.gif ? And don't get started on the whole "oh, it's not love, love is for people and these are just things and blah, blah, blah". You know what I mean here. You have something in your life that you are passionate about. And you fking hate it when someone makes fun of it, bashes it, or dismisses it as stupid or worthless. I know you do. Everyone does.

Keep that in mind next time you decide to marginalize 30+ years' worth of Star Wars fans.

I hear exactly what you're saying. However, it is very hard to explain the Star Wars phenomena to anyone that wasn't around in the late 70s/early 80s when episodes 4-6 came out. I had a discussion about it with some friends just a few weeks ago. The dudes in their 20s simply could not/would not accept that it was a groundbreaking experience (regardless of whether or not one liked the stories themselves). We weren't really even talking about the movie...we were talking the influence and impact on Hollywood, American culture, entertainment through technology, etc. Funnily, I don't even like Star Wars that much but I like it enough to never watch any updated version that'll warp or cheapen my childhood memories.

I remember the entire Star Wars experience from day one. I never understood the commitment and dedication to what I think is a decent sci-fi movie, at best. When it come right down to it, it's George Lucas's vision. He OWNS it. He's going to do with it what he wants. Deal with it.

We are dealing with it. Some by consuming the new material, some by giving up on it. Doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be talked about. It might be his "vision" (which, we're learning, isn't all it's cracked up to be) but just as SW transcends "it's a movie" it also transcends "it's one man's vision and he can do whatever he want without consequence". The consequences of screwing with the movies and putting out junk material is that people will complain and stop buying his stuff - and I hope that's exactly what happens.

The best Star Wars stories of the past 30 years have been told by people other than Lucas.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 2 2011, 04:40 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 1 2011, 08:38 PM)
b_sigh.gif

Two things. First, When Harry Met Sally was a movie. Star Wars has made more money, franchise-wide, than most nations are worth. It transcends "it's a movie".

Second, what's something you love? Do you love baseball? Do you love pizza? Do you love 2.gif ? And don't get started on the whole "oh, it's not love, love is for people and these are just things and blah, blah, blah". You know what I mean here. You have something in your life that you are passionate about. And you fking hate it when someone makes fun of it, bashes it, or dismisses it as stupid or worthless. I know you do. Everyone does.

Keep that in mind next time you decide to marginalize 30+ years' worth of Star Wars fans.

I think you've read way too much into Tom's comment. It smacks of hyper-sensitivity and that does you no credit.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But I'd respond with exactly what I told him: what you see as hyper-sensitivity (a negative, in your mind) is nothing more than passion for something and the shared experience with others over it. If someone takes a shot at something you're passionate about and you defend it, you'd be pretty pissed if someone else came along and basically said, "you're overreacting, don't be such a wuss."

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 2 2011, 05:11 AM)
I'm sorry for offending anybody with my comment. The b_sigh.gif was actually my discontent at the change. I actually think that's really stupid and I am also kind of mad. However, I don't think it's too much in the grand scheme of things to get worked up over. I totally understand if you were like a Star Wars freak (in a good way) or something, but none of you come across like that. I would just watch the originals on DVD and get over it.

confused13.gif

(Again, sorry of I come across bluntly)

Thanks - and for what it's worth, tone does not come across well in print form. Perhaps I read a little more "attack" in your words, and others may have read a little more anger or hyper-sensitivity into my response. There was no anger on my part... some stern words maybe, but no anger.

It's all good. Have a drink. trink39.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 2 2011, 09:47 AM)
b_sigh.gif

I think you've read way too much into Tom's comment. It smacks of hyper-sensitivity and that does you no credit.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But I'd respond with exactly what I told him: what you see as hyper-sensitivity (a negative, in your mind) is nothing more than passion for something and the shared experience with others over it. If someone takes a shot at something you're passionate about and you defend it, you'd be pretty pissed if someone else came along and basically said, "you're overreacting, don't be such a wuss."

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000040419/polls_star_20wars_20geek_0605_856019_poll_xlarge.jpeg

b_sigh.gif

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000040419/polls_star_20wars_20geek_0605_856019_poll_xlarge.jpeg

http://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/dynamics/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/star_wars_geek.jpg

As admitedly niggling as these things are, what do they amount to in the big picture? Does any of this influence the story arc? Does it truly lessen your enjoyment of the films because an Ewok can blink? That's different than apologizing for or even endorsing these things. I think it's possible to say both that Lucas is a cad for doing this kind of stupid stuff BUT that it also doesn't really affect much.

The only time it did to me was the Han/Greedo thing because it changes the action of the character. Even Vader saying "no" doesn't alter his reaction. It just needlessly articulates what he's thinking (because clearly we fans have struggled for nearly 30 years deciphering Vader's mindset...so, thanks George! All clear now). But the Greedo thing is valid because it completely altered the motivations of his character.

Annoying as it is, Ewoks blinking doesn't throw Jedi into the shitter for me. Replicating the Death Star to begin with went a whole lot further to accomplish that, quite honestly....

And don't anyone question my fandom. To quote Neal Page, "You're messin' with the wrong guy!" I'm about as big a fan as it comes...and damn near the dorkiest too. biggrin.gif

The only thing sillier and less necessary than many of these tweaks are the hyperbolic reactions they ellicit: the raping of one's childhood, etc, etc.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 2 2011, 04:25 PM)
As admitedly niggling as these things are, what do they amount to in the big picture? Does any of this influence the story arc? Does it truly lessen your enjoyment of the films because an Ewok can blink? That's different than apologizing for or even endorsing these things.

Actually, the Ewok blink is pretty cool. As was the opening up of Cloud City with the addition of giant windows. The Falcon's approach to Cloud City, the close-ups of the X-Wings at the start of the Battle of Yavin... all cool.

What I have a real problem with is the big stuff, like you talked about. Han shooting first meant that his character began as an outlaw, a rogue, and he had a character arc that turned him into a hero. That gets wiped out when Greedo shoots first. That horrible dance number in Jabba's palace. Inserting a very smarmy-looking Hayden as a ghost into the end of Jedi. Even changing the Ewok's celebration song from something Ewoks would actually play to something they totally can't... these things do ruin parts of the movies.

Vader screaming NOOOOOO like a pansy... that actually does take away from the character, to me. In the original, he stoically and silently revolts against his Emperor. Now, he gives a little scream, which, honestly, don't you think the Emperor would have heard that and reacted accordingly? Dude, you just started screaming at the Emperor, he's gonna know you're coming!

And really, didn't Lucas learn anything from all the fans that made fun of Vader's scream about Padme in Episode III? It was a freakin' internet meme!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 2 2011, 06:25 PM)
As admitedly niggling as these things are, what do they amount to in the big picture? Does any of this influence the story arc? Does it truly lessen your enjoyment of the films because an Ewok can blink? That's different than apologizing for or even endorsing these things. I think it's possible to say both that Lucas is a cad for doing this kind of stupid stuff BUT that it also doesn't really affect much.

The only time it did to me was the Han/Greedo thing because it changes the action of the character. Even Vader saying "no" doesn't alter his reaction. It just needlessly articulates what he's thinking (because clearly we fans have struggled for nearly 30 years deciphering Vader's mindset...so, thanks George! All clear now). But the Greedo thing is valid because it completely altered the motivations of his character.

Annoying as it is, Ewoks blinking doesn't throw Jedi into the shitter for me. Replicating the Death Star to begin with went a whole lot further to accomplish that, quite honestly....

And don't anyone question my fandom. To quote Neal Page, "You're messin' with the wrong guy!" I'm about as big a fan as it comes...and damn near the dorkiest too. biggrin.gif

The only thing sillier and less necessary than many of these tweaks are the hyperbolic reactions they ellicit: the raping of one's childhood, etc, etc.

goodpost.gif That is an extremely sensible post and one of the best post's I've seen here. smile.gif

Sign of the times. Imagine how the original trilogy would be raked over the coals if it was all new again today. It would be the object of ire as well.

Lucas doesn't care what you or I think...and I'm ok with that. Again, the only thing sillier than his tinkering (and I've conceded...it's largely, though not necessarily entirely, unnecessary) is the reactions it gets from fans.

b_sigh.gif

As I said. . .

It just needlessly articulates what he's thinking (because clearly we fans have struggled for nearly 30 years deciphering Vader's mindset...so, thanks George! All clear now).

rofl3.gif

Hey Tommy rose.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 2 2011, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 2 2011, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 2 2011, 10:38 AM)
b_sigh.gif

I remember the entire Star Wars experience from day one. I never understood the commitment and dedication to what I think is a decent sci-fi movie, at best. When it come right down to it, it's George Lucas's vision. He OWNS it. He's going to do with it what he wants. Deal with it.

I am dealing with it by not watching it. This kind of revisionist dealing has happened in comics too of course aaaaaaaand that's when I quit buying. Sure, Lucas can do his thing/free country/bla bla and all that shit...

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 2 2011, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 2 2011, 01:18 AM)

On the contrary, I think any young person who knows their film history even a little bit will know just how huge Star Wars was. In fact, I think we discussed it a little bit in my US History course in high school. laugh.gif

In terms of emotional attachment to the fandom, or even just a nostalgic one, it's because you know how groundbreaking it was. This may be a stretch, but I'd say it was the first really popular sci-fi film. The fact that I can talk to my (normal tongue.gif) friends and gush about Han Solo's epic hotness is key.

(I've accepted that they will never see Leonard Nimoy the same way I do.)

It's been embedded into our western culture (and maybe eastern too) as a classic. It had everything: Pretty good characters, some very good lines here and there, a sexy "damsel in".. well, not quite distress, she could hold her own against anyone, an apprentice with a sort of prophecy behind him, an old master teaching that student...

With all the things Star Wars IV, V, VI did right it's heartbreaking to see any changes done because the original product was just so good.

Don't take this the wrong way but learning about something and living through it are two completely different things. Think about this: we both know about Led Zeppelin's influence in the world of rock. However, we will NEVER know what it was truly like to feel it....unless, of course, we get some kind of time machine (or starship smile.gif ) to transport us back to those days.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 3 2011, 03:38 AM)
Don't take this the wrong way but learning about something and living through it are two completely different things. Think about this: we both know about Led Zeppelin's influence in the world of rock. However, we will NEVER know what it was truly like to feel it....unless, of course, we get some kind of time machine (or starship smile.gif ) to transport us back to those days.

Hm, quite right. You do have a point there. There are many things I'll never really understand because I didn't live through them.. the first two world wars, the nuclear scare, the Cold War, the various film and TV franchises that came out "before my time" (as my folks like to say)... but I think some can try a little harder than others.

The historical impact is not lost. The whole emotional and cultural impact, though, maybe.

Point taken. trink39.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 4 2011, 03:12 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 3 2011, 03:38 AM)

Hm, quite right. You do have a point there. There are many things I'll never really understand because I didn't live through them.. the first two world wars, the nuclear scare, the Cold War, the various film and TV franchises that came out "before my time" (as my folks like to say)... but I think some can try a little harder than others.

The historical impact is not lost. The whole emotional and cultural impact, though, maybe.

Point taken. trink39.gif

trink39.gif