SCREW YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!!

Albone2112

LucasFilms Confirms adding "NOOOOOO!" to Return of the Jedi

Greg Tito | 31 Aug 2011 3:59 pm

Filed under: greg tito, blu ray, darth vader, george lucas, noooooo, revisionism, star wars

For the upcoming Blu-Ray release of the Star Wars films, George Lucas has shat upon his own work - again.

If I learned anything from watching Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, it's that Darth Vader is corrupt. He is evil all the way to his mechanized core. Despite Vader's son entreating him to see the good inside him in Return of the Jedi, it is too late for him. That is, until Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, is forced to watch his only son be tortured to death by the Emperor who corrupted him. There is no audible reaction, but Lord Vader is overcome by the man he used to be and suddenly rebels against his former master, tossing the frail body still emitting lightning into the Death Star core where it finally explodes. The silent, stoic, selfless act is Anakin Skywalker's last, all the more potent because of it required no dialogue.

Until now.

For the Blu-Ray release of all six films of bearing the name Star Wars coming out on September 15th, Mr. George Lucas has once again changed a few things. Loyal fans may remember the addition of plot and character changing images such as Greedo shooting first and young Hayden Christensen appearing as a ghost at the end of Jedi when Lucas reissued the Special Edition of his films.

The Blu-Rays change even more, the most egregious being Vader uttering, "No. NOOOOOO!" right before he betrays Emperor Palpatine. The video above shows the change, which was confirmed by a representative at LucasArts via email to the New York Times: "Yes - Darth says NO."

I get it. I get that Lucas can't help tinkering with his films. He must hate the backlash that the "NOOOOOOOO!" received from the end of Revenge of the Sith and he wants to make it work thematically by calling it back (forward?) in Jedi.

But come the f**k on, George. Please stop. You obviously don't understand how you made great films in the 70s & 80s if you keep making these changes. What's next? You add Jar Jar Binks to the cantina scene, or re-record Alec Guinness's dialogue in Star Wars to include midi-chlorians?

This further proves that Lucas only made the original Star Wars films by accident. I now officially regret pre-ordering the blu-ray sex-ology back in January. I was going to give the prequels another shot ... maybe they weren't as bad as I had thought ... well, screw that.

Source: New York Times

SCREW YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as a die-hard Trekkie, it makes me sad to read things like this.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three films (4, 5, 6) and to this day they remain three of my favourite sci-fi films of all time. (Mainly because of Harrison Ford but ANYWAYS...) They were fine. Some might say parts of them were darn near perfect. They remain, to this day, some of the more universally popular films in science fiction.

But making dialogue, and thus character, changes in order to, say, "Appeal to a greater audience"? No. Just no. Say it isn't so!

Even something as simple as a one-syllable word or "Greedo shooting first" changes a massive amount of what makes a character who he or she is. And trust me - I know my characters!

So let's hope that G. Lucas doesn't hack off any dimensions off any more of his characters. :C

Another leaked screenshot of the new Blu-Ray transfers of the SW films.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqtju2hyxc1r1f66so1_500.jpg

Regardless of how the films are edited (and I've no doubt that MORE edits will be unveiled), I'll still buy them. Looking at it from an historical aspect, Lucas is putting out the first complete film series out on Blu-Ray. That's pretty extraordinary. Still, it would help if he would just release the original edits. If the Indiana Jones movies ever make it to BD (are they already? I lost track of how many re-releases they've gotten), Lucas better not screw with those too.

I am a life-long Star Wars fan. I was born in '75, so I grew up with them (though Jedi was the only one I saw in a theater). But I had the toys, the lunchboxes, and all the rest of the stuff.

I bought and read Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy when it came out in the early 90's and it hooked me on the Expanded Universe. I wanted more novels, more stories. For the most part, life as a Star Wars fan was good.

1997. The re-releases. My first chance to see the originals on the big screen. To this day, I don't have a bad word to say about the first round of re-releases because of that. Greedo shot first? Yeah, I have a problem with it, but I don't get all worked up over it (usually) because it was my chance to see the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Hoth on the big screen.

Then, the prequels. Didn't like the first for the most part, and my dislike grew over time. The second was pretty good. The third was almost awesome. Almost.

That's when it all went downhill. Not the prequels themselves, but what came after. The horrible novel tie-ins. The hideously bad Clone Wars animated movie (the first SW movie I willingly didn't go to the theater to see). The terrible Clone Wars TV show. And then came more tinkering. More re-releases on DVD. News that they'd be converted to 3D. Now this news of more tinkering on the Blu-Ray.

I'm done. Have been for a while, really. I gave up on anything to do with the Clone Wars era, be they movies, TV, books, anything. I'll no longer buy the movies on DVD, Blu-Ray or any other format (until/unless my DVD player breaks and can't be replaced - yeah, right).

My kids... I'll show them the originals. The theatricals are on DVD, I've got them. Prequels, sure. After that, they're on their own.

I could have been an advocate for Star Wars with my kids and my eventual grandkids 30 years from now, but I won't be.

Because of George Lucas. Because everything he has touched since 1997 has been garbage with the occasional (and too infrequent) gem. The best Star Wars stories are being told by people other than the man that created the universe.

The OP said that Lucas made the original SW movies by accident. I now, after all this time, believe that to be true. He got lucky with A New Hope. Empire was largely the work of other people, as was Jedi (and they were generally better for it). But the prequels and everything after has been 100% under Lucas' direct control. And it's been terrible.

Thanks, George.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Aug 31 2011, 08:40 PM)
Even as a die-hard Trekkie, it makes me sad to read things like this.
I thoroughly enjoyed the first three films (4, 5, 6) and to this day they remain three of my favourite sci-fi films of all time. (Mainly because of Harrison Ford but ANYWAYS...) They were fine. Some might say parts of them were darn near perfect. They remain, to this day, some of the more universally popular films in science fiction.

But making dialogue, and thus character, changes in order to, say, "Appeal to a greater audience"? No. Just no. Say it isn't so!
Even something as simple as a one-syllable word or "Greedo shooting first" changes a massive amount of what makes a character who he or she is. And trust me - I know my characters!
So let's hope that G. Lucas doesn't hack off any dimensions off any more of his characters. :C

goodpost.gif

Star Wars came out when I was 18 and I, literally, fell in love with it (Han Solo may have been part of that, too). I remember lying in my back yard that summer, looking up at the stars, wishing the Millennium Falcon would swoop down and take me away. That movie meant a lot to me. The next two only added to that.

I took my daughter to see the big screen re-releases in 1997 and that thrill was still there for me. I liked the first prequel (I even like Jar Jar) but the last two were just okay for me.

I own the first 3 on VHS, Laser Disc and DVD. I dealt with the minor changes, even thought the explosion of the Death Star looked cooler. But I can't go along with this. That moment is so powerful and moving just AS IT IS. The entire story arc of Anakin culminates in that moment. It doesn't NEED any words. Dear George, didn't working with Joseph Campbell teach you that words are not as visceral as images?

I won't be buying these, as much as I'd like to see the Falcon on Blu-Ray. sad.gif

I guess I won't be getting the Blu-Ray version of the saga then. I've learned to let Greedo shooting first slide and i'm even OK with him using Hayden as Anakin's ghost at the end of Jedi. That one actually makes sense since he played him in the prequel.

But the scene where Vader saves Luke from the Emperor is great. And one of the things that makes it that way is that no words are said by Vader. It's all action and that action speaks way louder and conveys more emotion then any words can. Next to when Vader told Luke he was his father, him turning on the Emperor and throwing him down the airshaft is probably the second most iconic scene in the saga.

I can't believe Lucas would ruin a scene as good as that one.

f**k YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!! angry.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Aug 31 2011, 11:23 PM)
If the Indiana Jones movies ever make it to BD (are they already? I lost track of how many re-releases they've gotten), Lucas better not screw with those too.

Like re-shooting the one scene where Ford was sick and just shoots the guy wielding the sword? That would make me 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 1 2011, 12:07 PM)
Obviously he's never been happy with what he did before. Just a thought...

No amount of editing will change how bad the prequels are and editing the originals will only make them worse. In the end, I hope he feels a lot worse.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 1 2011, 07:03 PM)
b_sigh.gif

And yet... we're getting all super-worked up over A MOVIE.

Two things. First, When Harry Met Sally was a movie. Star Wars has made more money, franchise-wide, than most nations are worth. It transcends "it's a movie".

Second, what's something you love? Do you love baseball? Do you love pizza? Do you love 2.gif ? And don't get started on the whole "oh, it's not love, love is for people and these are just things and blah, blah, blah". You know what I mean here. You have something in your life that you are passionate about. And you fking hate it when someone makes fun of it, bashes it, or dismisses it as stupid or worthless. I know you do. Everyone does.

Keep that in mind next time you decide to marginalize 30+ years' worth of Star Wars fans.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 1 2011, 08:38 PM)
b_sigh.gif

Two things. First, When Harry Met Sally was a movie. Star Wars has made more money, franchise-wide, than most nations are worth. It transcends "it's a movie".

Second, what's something you love? Do you love baseball? Do you love pizza? Do you love 2.gif ? And don't get started on the whole "oh, it's not love, love is for people and these are just things and blah, blah, blah". You know what I mean here. You have something in your life that you are passionate about. And you fking hate it when someone makes fun of it, bashes it, or dismisses it as stupid or worthless. I know you do. Everyone does.

Keep that in mind next time you decide to marginalize 30+ years' worth of Star Wars fans.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 1 2011, 09:38 PM)
b_sigh.gif

I love poetry and a glass of scotch. And, of course, my friend Baxter here.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 2 2011, 10:38 AM)
b_sigh.gif

I hear exactly what you're saying. However, it is very hard to explain the Star Wars phenomena to anyone that wasn't around in the late 70s/early 80s when episodes 4-6 came out. I had a discussion about it with some friends just a few weeks ago. The dudes in their 20s simply could not/would not accept that it was a groundbreaking experience (regardless of whether or not one liked the stories themselves). We weren't really even talking about the movie...we were talking the influence and impact on Hollywood, American culture, entertainment through technology, etc. Funnily, I don't even like Star Wars that much but I like it enough to never watch any updated version that'll warp or cheapen my childhood memories.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 2 2011, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 2 2011, 10:38 AM)
b_sigh.gif

I hear exactly what you're saying. However, it is very hard to explain the Star Wars phenomena to anyone that wasn't around in the late 70s/early 80s when episodes 4-6 came out. I had a discussion about it with some friends just a few weeks ago. The dudes in their 20s simply could not/would not accept that it was a groundbreaking experience (regardless of whether or not one liked the stories themselves). We weren't really even talking about the movie...we were talking the influence and impact on Hollywood, American culture, entertainment through technology, etc. Funnily, I don't even like Star Wars that much but I like it enough to never watch any updated version that'll warp or cheapen my childhood memories.

I remember the entire Star Wars experience from day one. I never understood the commitment and dedication to what I think is a decent sci-fi movie, at best. When it come right down to it, it's George Lucas's vision. He OWNS it. He's going to do with it what he wants. Deal with it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 1 2011, 06:38 PM)
b_sigh.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/thanx.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 1 2011, 08:38 PM)
b_sigh.gif

I think you've read way too much into Tom's comment. It smacks of hyper-sensitivity and that does you no credit.