SCREW YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!!

Albone2112

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 2 2011, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2011, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Oct 1 2011, 01:57 PM)
I wish they would just have an option whether to watch the original version or the "enhanced" version/versions. At least preserve the old-school for people that want to watch it that way!

That makes way too much sense. Lucas thinks he's making the movies better by updating the visuals and the story lines and no one has the guts to tell him he's wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. Millions of people have told him he's wrong. He just doesn't get closer than an internet connection to any of them. He has nobody - it seems - in his sphere of influence who is willing to tell him he's wrong. Or it's possible that he's surrounded himself with people who see things his way.

Either way... he's not a stupid man. He knows exactly what the fan reaction has been, and he's doing it anyway. banghead.gif

ah well, big money can make a bitch of almost anyone...(i think that was one of peart's original lyrics actually)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 1 2011, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 2 2011, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2011, 12:11 PM)
I wish they would just have an option whether to watch the original version or the "enhanced" version/versions. At least preserve the old-school for people that want to watch it that way!

That makes way too much sense. Lucas thinks he's making the movies better by updating the visuals and the story lines and no one has the guts to tell him he's wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. Millions of people have told him he's wrong. He just doesn't get closer than an internet connection to any of them. He has nobody - it seems - in his sphere of influence who is willing to tell him he's wrong. Or it's possible that he's surrounded himself with people who see things his way.

Either way... he's not a stupid man. He knows exactly what the fan reaction has been, and he's doing it anyway. banghead.gif

ah well, big money can make a bitch of almost anyone...(i think that was one of peart's original lyrics actually)

Big money make a million dreams

Big money spin big deals

Big money makes a bitch of almost anyone

Big money spins big wheels

1022.gif

You know HOW to get the message to him? It's not up to an underling to whisper it into his ear, it's up to US to not buy his releases when they come out. NOTHING would send a louder and clearer picture than apathy and poor sales, right? If he's all about money, not giving it to him seems like traveling down aorta highway to me. And I'm sure that includes some people here who haven't and won't buy it.

BUT the thing just set an all-time sales record for a blu ray release, which suggests that despite the "millions" (a completely arbitrary and made up big number...where's the substantiation of millions???) who are pissed off at Lucas for his changes, they're still willing to buy them AGAIN on blu ray.

biggrin.gif Methinks some doth protest too much.

In another interesting twist, I visited Best Buy the day it was released. On their display that had roughly equal amounts of the overall box set, the prequel package, and the original trilogy package. I went back a few days later and most of the display had sold very well. I literally counted the remaining copies and there were exactly the same number of prequel trilogy sets left as originals. You'd THINK that there would be almost nothing BUT prequel trilogies left, since everyone seems to hate them so much. The really weird thing to consider is, that unless you can't do the math and see that it costs exactly the same to buy the overall box with the bonus discs as it does to buy each set separately, there were probably some people who ONLY bought the prequel trilogy. However you look at it, at my Best Buy the prequels sold toe-to-toe with the originals....and I chuckled.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 2 2011, 05:49 AM)
You know HOW to get the message to him? It's not up to an underling to whisper it into his ear, it's up to US to not buy his releases when they come out. NOTHING would send a louder and clearer picture than apathy and poor sales, right? If he's all about money, not giving it to him seems like traveling down aorta highway to me. And I'm sure that includes some people here who haven't and won't buy it.

BUT the thing just set an all-time sales record for a blu ray release, which suggests that despite the "millions" (a completely arbitrary and made up big number...where's the substantiation of millions???) who are pissed off at Lucas for his changes, they're still willing to buy them AGAIN on blu ray.

In another interesting twist, I visited Best Buy the day it was released. On their display that had roughly equal amounts of the overall box set, the prequel package, and the original trilogy package. I went back a few days later and most of the display had sold very well. I literally counted the remaining copies and there were exactly the same number of prequel trilogy sets left as originals. You'd THINK that there would be almost nothing BUT prequel trilogies left, since everyone seems to hate them so much. The really weird thing to consider is, that unless you can't do the math and see that it costs exactly the same to buy the overall box with the bonus discs as it does to buy each set separately, there were probably some people who ONLY bought the prequel trilogy. However you look at it, at my Best Buy the prequels sold toe-to-toe with the originals....and I chuckled.

Exactly why I have not and will not purchase this version! yes.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 2 2011, 07:49 AM)

1. I haven't and will not buy it.

2. Of course "millions" is unsubstantiated. That's like saying there can't be millions of Rush fans because nobody has put them in a room and done a fking head count. Come on. The internet has lit up with people complaining about the tinkering. What are you suggesting, that's it's really like ten people that don't like the changes and they're just what, complaining really loud?

3. It's not hard to set a sales record for Blu-Ray when it's a brand as large as Star Wars. The technology is still young. I'd be more interested in seeing sales as a percentage of Blu-Ray player owners.

4. I'd also love to see a poll of people who bought the set for the extras and;

5. a poll to see who bought it simply because it's the ONLY option for watching Star Wars, any version, in high definition.

6. Lastly, let's be honest here and talk about the real numbers. Avatar moved more units than the Complete Saga did - by nearly six times (in addition to moving 4 million DVDs). According to this report, the Star Wars set sold 515,000 copies in North America. Yeah, that's huge </sarcasm>. Source.

No, it's not 10 people. But that's just as ridiculous and inaccurate as blindly saying "millions who hate these changes." It's overstated. It's nowhere near millions either, I reckon. I also think some people voice the opinion and STILL BUY IT anyhow, although that's a pretty sad excuse if you're legitimately upset. No one is making anyone buy it so they can see the parts they still enjoy in HD. biggrin.gif If it was millions and millions of truly dissatisfied fans, he'd feel that hit. Again, the only way to send the proper message is to not buy it. Ok, you didn't. Many didn't maybe. But I'm sure Lucas isn't dissatisfied with the sales figures thus far just the same. I'll just throw that guess out there.

I think it's much ado about nothing, especially since the vast majority of the changes are STILL the ones from nearly 15 years ago with the SE versions. Ok, Ewoks blink now. Whoa nelly. Now people care about Ewoks? biggrin.gif They used to be the laughing stock of Jedi and now people can't believe that Lucas would add digital eyelids. The sacrilege.

Bunch of bullshit hooey that amounts to mere moments in nearly 7 hours worth of original trilogy footage and over 14 hours in total saga footage.

Moments.

Enjoy your purchase everyone!! trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

4. I'd also love to see a poll of people who bought the set for the extras

Anyone who spent $90 for extras, at least HALF of which are prequels extras, I might add, is a bit silly. I don't buy it. Sorry. That's an expensive 1.5 discs worth.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 2 2011, 01:03 PM)
No, it's not 10 people. But that's just as ridiculous and inaccurate as blindly saying "millions who hate these changes." It's overstated. It's nowhere near millions either, I reckon. I also think some people voice the opinion and STILL BUY IT anyhow, although that's a pretty sad excuse if you're legitimately upset. No one is making anyone buy it so they can see the parts they still enjoy in HD. biggrin.gif If it was millions and millions of truly dissatisfied fans, he'd feel that hit. Again, the only way to send the proper message is to not buy it. Ok, you didn't. Many didn't maybe. But I'm sure Lucas isn't dissatisfied with the sales figures thus far just the same. I'll just throw that guess out there.

I think it's much ado about nothing, especially since the vast majority of the changes are STILL the ones from nearly 15 years ago with the SE versions. Ok, Ewoks blink now. Whoa nelly. Now people care about Ewoks? biggrin.gif They used to be the laughing stock of Jedi and now people can't believe that Lucas would add digital eyelids. The sacrilege.

Bunch of bullshit hooey that amounts to mere moments in nearly 7 hours worth of original trilogy footage and over 14 hours in total saga footage.

Moments.

Enjoy your purchase everyone!! trink39.gif

And yet they only sold half a million units of the set. This is Star Wars we're talking about here - that's a pathetic amount on the face of it, which is why I mentioned the percentage of Blu-Ray owners. I don't know how much penetration (heh-heh, he said penetration) Blu-Ray has right now, and I know there are way more DVD players out there, but... only half a million in North America? Only a million total? And Avatar did 2.7 million? That doesn't seem odd to anyone else?

I think millions of people have spoken. The Complete Saga on Blu-Ray should have moved at least 5 million copies worldwide - at least. As one of the biggest blockbuster film series of all time... it should have performed far better.

And yes, of course it's only been out a week or so, and I know it will sell more over time, but again, this is Star Wars we're talking about. One of the most rabid fan bases around.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 2 2011, 01:05 PM)

Anyone who spent $90 for extras, at least HALF of which are prequels extras, I might add, is a bit silly. I don't buy it. Sorry. That's an expensive 1.5 discs worth.

Never underestimate hardcore fans wink.gif There are still a handful of people who buy Rush Retrospective packages after all laugh.gif

I certainly don't think they account for the vast majority of the million units sold, but I'd bet there are a few thousand at least that bought it for the extras. Probably a significant number who bought it simply because they're collectors and buy anything with the name Star Wars on it, too.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 2 2011, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 2 2011, 01:05 PM)

Never underestimate hardcore fans wink.gif There are still a handful of people who buy Rush Retrospective packages after all laugh.gif

I certainly don't think they account for the vast majority of the million units sold, but I'd bet there are a few thousand at least that bought it for the extras. Probably a significant number who bought it simply because they're collectors and buy anything with the name Star Wars on it, too.

Well anyone who spends that much for a disc and a half is foolish, especially since ALL of that footage is now attainable for nothing...much of which was already out there, etc. I think that kind of thing becomes the excuse because anyone can talk and say, "Yeah, I'm not gonna watch that stuff...just the extras" and you KNOW they're home watching the films. biggrin.gif What you say and what you do are two different things, especially online. I simply don't believe the "enormity" of the backlash. It's easy to exaggerate. The only thing smaller, I suspect, is the amount of impact that changes have had on the movies themselves. It's easy to be loud and HUGE and vocal online, isn't it? biggrin.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 3 2011, 05:58 AM)
Regardless of its units sold, it's still the biggest selling BR ever...including the LOTR blus. That counts for something in a format that still doesn't sell what DVDs sell, number wise. Lots of people still do not own BR players. It's growing big time, but many people I know are still satisfied with DVD only, which means they're not going to buy something they can't play. Your basis is, it should've sold more, which completely ignores its record-setting peformance...conveniently. What part of "biggest selling blu ray ever" isn't impressive? I'm sure if there were as many BR players in use as there were DVD players, the numbers would have been higher.

How can you say regardless of units sold and then in the same sentence make a point about the highest sales figure? But aside from that... it's not. There's an asterisk on the "biggest selling blu-ray ever" data point. I just pointed out that Avatar sold 2.7 million blu-rays while Star Wars sold 515,000 in North America and 1 million worldwide. So it's not the biggest selling blu-ray ever. What it is, is the biggest selling catalog release. It's the biggest selling release of old material.

And I stand by my point... this is Star Wars, the blockbuster of blockbusters, and it only sold 515,000 copies in North America. That's a very, very small number.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2011, 01:11 PM)

Because he is paying them nicely to make the enhancements. laugh.gif

One thing he did do right is hire John Williams. The music is something that cannot be improved upon.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2011, 03:46 PM)

You'd think the first Blu-ray release of Star Wars would be pretty hotly anticipated. Lots of SW geeks out there with BD players and big HDTVs, I'm guessing.

For a $90 set, I think it's done well. Again, record setting sales for previously released material. There you go! wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 3 2011, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2011, 03:46 PM)

You'd think the first Blu-ray release of Star Wars would be pretty hotly anticipated. Lots of SW geeks out there with BD players and big HDTVs, I'm guessing.

For a $90 set, I think it's done well. Again, record setting sales for previously released material. There you go! wink.gif

In this case, "previously released" is a bit of a stretch. None of the previous versions of "Jedi" had Vader going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" before tossing the Emperor to his death. laugh.gif

Lucas' obsession with bringing the most beloved sci-fi trilogy in film history down to the level of the shitty prequels is beyond me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 3 2011, 01:42 PM)
Why is your source correct and my source is errant? biggrin.gif

If you're simply going to argue that you're right because your source says so and I'm saying that I'm right because my source says so, then there's no point in continuing this discussion. Let the sources battle it out. Everything else is my opinion vs. yours as far as expectations.

The set sold 515,000 copies in North America - a market that has been supporting the franchise over and over for more than 30 years. It's a multi-billion dollar franchise (trillion yet? Possibly). This is the first time the films have been released in hi-def, not the 6th or 7th time. Given that between 52 million PS3s (Wikipedia) and I-don't-know-how-many millions of standalone Blu-Ray players are out there... selling half a million units in North America is pathetic.

You say that people need to vote with their wallets and not buy things they complain about? I say, they have. You mentioned that I was exaggerating when I said that millions of people have been complaining? I say, that is borne out by the pathetic sales figures for this set. You asked what my expectations were? I say, 5 million worldwide, minimum. The set has done 1/5th of that.

That's my bottom line. Anything else is nitpicking and distracting from the main point.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2011, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 3 2011, 06:21 PM)
Hey, has George Lucas explained why Obi-Wan Kenobi aged so badly between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hopeconfused13.gif  unsure.gif  ph34r.gif

How many years are supposed to have passed between those two films?

I have no idea.