• Revenge of the Sith
    • A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 20 2011, 09:58 PM)

For the most part. I would've loved if they dedicated more time to Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. You know characters that actually had something the do with the story instead of that annoying peice of shit.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 21 2011, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 20 2011, 07:27 PM)
The only votes should be for A New Hope or Empire. Anyone that votes for anything else should be shot. I went with Empire.

What's the problem with Return Of The Jedi?

Not much. It's just not as good as New Hope and Empire...and, naturally, I was exaggerating a bit. I hate those damn ewoks but it's still an entertaining movie.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 20 2011, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 20 2011, 07:27 PM)
The only votes should be for A New Hope or Empire. Anyone that votes for anything else should be shot. I went with Empire.

What's the problem with Return Of The Jedi?

a lot of people don't care for ewoks.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2011, 08:08 PM)
Hayden Christensen is a great actor. Almost as good an actor as George Lucas is a director!

"I see what you did there!"

user posted image

pokey.gif much?

You said it. I'd have to agree...he's almost as good.

I read option 2 as "Attack of the Clowns" the first time.

Seemed more appropriate as I thought about it.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 20 2011, 10:26 PM)
Is it any surprise that the best movie is the only one not directed by Lucas?

Richard Marquand directed epi vi rotj.

I think the main reason Lucas directed the prequels is so much of the movie was cgi he didn;t have to spend so much time with annoying actors.

I liked Jedi better when I was a kid. As an adult, not so much. Although I never fully understood that ridiculous "temptation" by the Emperor to Luke. Every time Luke was about to give in, the Emperor would interrupt him. Idiot.

user posted image

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 21 2011, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 20 2011, 09:58 PM)

For the most part. I would've loved if they dedicated more time to Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. You know characters that actually had something the do with the story instead of that annoying peice of shit.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 20 2011, 09:26 PM)

Almost as good an actor as George Lucas is a director!

And yet he was nominated for best director for American Gaffiti and Star Wars, at that point 2 of the 3 films he'd made. biggrin.gif Guess who was not nominated for best director? Irvin Kershner for Empire (or any film in his entire career). (A grave oversight IMO, but just the same, the fact remains that in 1980 George Lucas was still considered a great talent). And let's not forget, Lucas saw the talent in Kersh that was not apparent looking at Irvin's resume (The Eyes Of Laura Mars? Up The Sandbox??)...and was directly responsible for choosing the man at least partly BECAUSE he excelled where Lucas did not: character development.

But let's also not sell Lucas's strengths short. He's a fine storyteller...this is ALL still his story and characters, his direction or not. He's a fine editor, even on the prequels (the intercutting between four scenes in Episode 1's finale was pretty impressive). There wouldn't be an Empire for Kershner to finely direct if not for Lucas's vision.

We've gotten to the point where we're so put off by the things we don't like that we can't even seem compelled to give the man his due for anything. How short-sighted and ridiculous. No one makes a film without help. Anymore I even hear people saying "Well the reason Star Wars was good was because of producer Gary Kurtz, not Lucas...and the only reason Graffiti was any good was because of writers Huyck and Katz." biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2011, 09:31 PM)

And yet he was nominated for best director for American Gaffiti and Star Wars, at that point 2 of the 3 films he'd made. biggrin.gif Guess who was not nominated for best director? Irvin Kershner for Empire (or any film in his entire career). (A grave oversight IMO, but just the same, the fact remains that in 1980 George Lucas was still considered a great talent). And let's not forget, Lucas saw the talent in Kersh that was not apparent looking at Irvin's resume (The Eyes Of Laura Mars? Up The Sandbox??)...and was directly responsible for choosing the man at least partly BECAUSE he excelled where Lucas did not: character development.

Must've blown his entire wad on Graffiti and Star Wars because those are memorable classics.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 21 2011, 07:35 AM)

Must've blown his entire wad on Graffiti and Star Wars because those are memorable classics.

Then I guess he's not a terrible director. I don't know too many terrible directors who can be said to have made two "memorable classics" and gotten Best Director nominations....twice. Yet to listen to people, most would probably rank him below Uwe Boll or Michael Bay. biggrin.gif

People are silly.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2011, 09:42 PM)

Then I guess he's not a terrible director. I don't know too many terrible directors who can be said to have made two "memorable classics" and gotten Best Director nominations....twice. Yet to listen to people, most would probably rank him below Uwe Boll or Michael Bay. biggrin.gif

People are silly.

Definitely. Even Phantom Menace is better than an Uwe Boll flick. I'd put that Clone crap on par with a Michael Bay movie. tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 21 2011, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2011, 09:42 PM)

People are silly.

Definitely.

Something to agree on. wink.gif

In the end it's easy to do the pile on. I'm not sure that broadstroking the fullness of his contributions to the film industry should be predicated solely on the disappointments one feels about the prequels. Ignore them if you don't like them....but none of that vitriol suddenly makes his creation of the original trilogy stories or characters, or his direction of a couple "memorable classics" any less.

This truly is a country of "what have you done for me lately." It's not nearly as fair or accurate as a lot of people believe it be when in a pile on tizzy.

I'm no huge Lucas nutjob either. I think that there are far better directors out there. He wouldn't rank in my top "whatever." But I think he has great story ideas, a keen sense of editing (still), has done some marvelous things to advance the movie A/V and FX technologies, and -- in his prime -- directed some great films. (I'm a fan of THX, so I include that one as well). And he's at least partly responsible for the greatness of Empire, even if he didn't direct it.

It's also funny that Kershner directs Empire and we want to give Lucas NO credit for its successes, despite constantly consulting with Irvin on it...being on set quite often. And yet the people that say Jedi is the least of the lot (I'd agree) is that way because of Lucas, even though he didn't direct that either. But we want to give Marquand the pass. biggrin.gif So this is just one way of showing that when things are bad, it's clearly Lucas's fault and when things go well, it's clearly due to other factors...because it clearly can't have gone well with his input.

Despite the fact that all of this is HIS, inherently. He gets all the brunt and very little of the credit (with his films or in the industry)....and we largely remember only the things he's done which we don't like. Even the CGI films we don't like, we blame him for the technology and getting into the digital world, but not give him a nod when it's done tastefully, like on Jurassic Park. That's due to something/someone else. But all of Michael Bay's craptastic stuff....that's all a trail back to Lucas.

Cynical much?

Why is it so hard to give credit where it's due?

Return of the Jedi is by FAR the most epic out of all of them. I dislike Empire, because it drags in a LOT of parts. Even though the Lightsaber duel is the best out of all of them, still, even THAT gets drug out.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2011, 07:31 AM)

But let's also not sell Lucas's strengths short. He's a fine storyteller...this is ALL still his story and characters, his direction or not. He's a fine editor, even on the prequels (the intercutting between four scenes in Episode 1's finale was pretty impressive). There wouldn't be an Empire for Kershner to finely direct if not for Lucas's vision.

We've gotten to the point where we're so put off by the things we don't like that we can't even seem compelled to give the man his due for anything. How short-sighted and ridiculous. No one makes a film without help. Anymore I even hear people saying "Well the reason Star Wars was good was because of producer Gary Kurtz, not Lucas...and the only reason Graffiti was any good was because of writers Huyck and Katz." biggrin.gif

"NOOOOooooooooooo...That's impozzible!" user posted imageuser posted image

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 21 2011, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2011, 07:31 AM)

"NOOOOooooooooooo...That's impozzible!" user posted imageuser posted image

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/07/luke-awesome-drive-rm-eng.jpg

You forgot to include The Star Wars Holiday Special in the poll tongue.gif

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/swhs/swhs7.jpg

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/swhs/swhs2.jpg