TV continuity problems

Presto-digitation

In the Sherwood Shwartz thread it was pointed out to me that the Craftsman style house always shown as the exterior of The Brady Bunch house was indeed a one-story abode, despite the set showing a staircase.

In that vein, name some other continuity issues in TV series if you can think of any.

This one has always been a favorite of mine. The opening of All In The Family pans down Hauser St. (which doesn't actually exist) and stops at what's always presumed to be 704 Hauser St., Queens (Astoria), NY. This is a reasonably current photo of that same house (actually in Glendale) from the opening credits. Largely it's the same as it appeared in the opening credits:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/364986659_5c8011f5a3.jpg

But the continuity issue is that the set for All In The Family always had a recessed entry and a covered front porch. biggrin.gif

Can you name any continuity issues from television shows you used to watch?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 13 2011, 01:14 PM)
Nice. biggrin.gif

I knew that off the top of my head (I looked up the episode number though... as I did know the name of the episode, just not the number. Scary)

Doug and Carrie's house in The King of Queens always bothered me. You can easily tell the exterior shots don't match the interior set. The interior scenes were shot in Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California; the exterior is a house located in New Jersey (although it's supposed to be Queens). Discrepancies between the exterior and interior abound, and it drove me crazy... in particular, an episode where all the characters go out on the "porch" (we can see them through the window, from our inside POV), when the exterior shows no porch, just a small set of steps going directly to the front door.

Likewise, the house in Yes, Dear, although it doesn't bother me as much. The exterior shot is of a Spanish-style California house. Watching the interior scenes, I've caught myself wondering "How would that work, that being there, when the 'exterior of the house' doesn't allow for it?" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 13 2011, 03:39 PM)
I think Cheers' exterior roughly matched the layout and how you come into the building, no?  It's nice when they take the time to do this right.  biggrin.gif

trink39.gif

I was just thinking the same thing: that the interior and exterior shots of Cheers are at least plausible matches.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I can tell you from experience though that the real "Cheers" bar resembles nothing to the one in the series. Disappointment.

Ray and Debra's house in Everybody Loves Raymond. They show Frank and Marie entering through the back door all the time when they live across the street. Its kind of stupid to walk across the street and go around the house when they could have just gone in the front door.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 13 2011, 05:11 PM)
Ray and Debra's house in Everybody Loves Raymond. They show Frank and Marie entering through the back door all the time when they live across the street. Its kind of stupid to walk across the street and go around the house when they could have just gone in the front door.

I can see where you're coming from, but in my house where I grew up, relatives and friends came through a side door within a screened in porch. When people we didn't know came to our house, they went to the front door of the house. The front is a more formal entrance whereas the side one was more of a casual entrance.

Except when Marie backed the car through the front of Ray and Debra's house. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 13 2011, 05:35 PM)

Except when Marie backed the car through the front of Ray and Debra's house. laugh.gif

I love that episode laugh.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 13 2011, 06:23 PM)

I love that whole show!

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 13 2011, 06:28 PM)

I love that whole show!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 13 2011, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 13 2011, 04:01 PM)
I can tell you from experience though that the real "Cheers" bar resembles nothing to the one in the series. Disappointment.

Yeah, I've heard that.

Neat place, but I too have been there to see it looks nothing like the show

In one of the first episodes of the original Star Trek series, Kirk is shown looking at what would be his future grave and it says "James R. Kirk" when his name is clearly, "James Tiberius Kirk".. Though I have heard this was intentional as a joke.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 13 2011, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 13 2011, 06:28 PM)

I love that whole show!

trink39.gif

Frank: "Why did I let you drive?"

Marie: "Because you can't see anymore!"

Frank: "I can see a house!"

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 13 2011, 05:44 PM)
In one of the first episodes of the original Star Trek series, Kirk is shown looking at what would be his future grave and it says "James R. Kirk" when his name is clearly, "James Tiberius Kirk".. Though I have heard this was intentional as a joke.

I think that was in the pilot... the second pilot, with Gary Mitchell and his creepy aluminum foil eyes. The characters hadn't been really established yet, and I don't think they'd actually written a middle name for Kirk at that point.

In TNG, though, there's a doozy of a continuity error in one episode where Riker gives Geordie the order "set course ... warp 6.", and Geordie responds, "aye , sir. full impulse." Wha..?

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 13 2011, 07:57 PM)

I think that was in the pilot... the second pilot, with Gary Mitchell and his creepy aluminum foil eyes. The characters hadn't been really established yet, and I don't think they'd actually written a middle name for Kirk at that point.

In TNG, though, there's a doozy of a continuity error in one episode where Riker gives some Geordie the order "set course ... warp 6.", and Geordie responds, "aye , sir. full impulse." Wha..?

Funny thing is, since Geordie was off-camera when he said that, they easily could have had him re-do that line later and dubbed in the audio. But it looks like nobody caught it, not even in the editing bay.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 13 2011, 07:57 PM)

In TNG, though, there's a doozy of a continuity error in one episode where Riker gives some Geordie the order "set course ... warp 6.", and Geordie responds, "aye , sir. full impulse." Wha..?

Full impulse is the first step to Warp 6. Like in a car, you can't get to 5th gear without starting at 1st first. trink38.gif

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: There are some episodes where people leave the docking ring and the camera immediately pans to the promenade with shops and Quark's bar. The set of the promenade is a semi-circle (rim is a bunch of shops and quark's bar fills the middle) and should logically be in the middle part of the center part of the station, not the docking ring itself.

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/5/54/Deep_space_9.jpg

Star Trek: Enterprise: The one time the Borg appear they are frozen from being in the Earth's ice caps after the events of Star Trek: First Contact. However, the Borg did just fine in that movie walking on the hull of the USS Enterprise. Last time I checked, space is about 300 degrees colder than it is on our ice caps.

There is one other episode I clearly remember where T'pol enters a crew member's room and the door closes behind her. The camera eventually changes and the door is magically open again.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jul 13 2011, 08:54 PM)
There is one other episode I clearly remember where T'pol enters a crew member's room and the door closes behind her. The camera eventually changes and the door is magically open again.

That's so we could see her back side.