Red Sector A mention

GhostGirl

'Red Sector A'

by Rush (From 1984's Grace Under Pressure):

Perhaps the most well-known of Holocaust-influenced rock songs as it first appeared on the band's hit 1984 album Grace Under Pressure, and has been a staple of the band's live shows ever since. The seeds for this harrowing rocker were planted 60 years ago in April of 1945 when British soldiers liberated the Nazi concentration camp Bergen-Belsen. Rush lead singer Geddy Lee's mother, Mary Rubenstein, was among the survivors. "I once asked my mother her first thoughts upon being liberated," Lee said. "She didn't believe (liberation) was possible. She didn't believe that if there was a society outside the camp how they could allow this to exist... " Lee related the story to band drummer and lyricist Neil Peart and also wrote the music. Peart came up with lines such as: "Are we the last ones left alive?/ Are we the only human beings to survive?" "The whole album," Lee said, "is about being on the brink and having the courage and strength to survive."

Rock 'n' roll never forgets Holocaust's horror

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 13 2005, 01:03 PM)
This reinforces my reasons for loving this band. Their music, and their influence on the music industry, keeps us all challanged. God, they're great.

trink39.gif

They ARE, aren't they?

smile.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 14 2005, 12:59 PM)
My dad always thought it was about War of the Worlds and didn't believe me when i said it was about the holocaust.

And yep they are great, and just another reason why Neil is a great lyricist, the song can have a different meaning or background to different people!

Its a moving song, and conjures up the horrible images of the camps. I can never understand, looking at the images and films of the nazi regime during the 1930, how they got away with what they did. I have attempted to understand (don't get me wrong, I don't mean accept) what they were trying to do and what it was all about, but it all completely fails me confused13.gif

'tis my favourite album too. Some people say its cold and rather morbid, but I just think its a work of art. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In terms of the way they composed the tunes, the 80's period was the best, no doubt. And GUP struck that fine balance between Keys and Guitar.

And i get you, i've had to study Nazi Germany in History this year and whereas you don't accept what Hitler did Germany had been through a bad period, and when anyone suffers like they did after WW1 and The depression they find a scapegoat and it just happened to be the Jewish people. in terms of how people let them do it, the whole thing about the bad times comes into play, but also, the rest of Europe couldn't afford to start a war with Germany, not again after only a few years.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 14 2005, 01:24 PM)
In terms of the way they composed the tunes, the 80's period was the best, no doubt. And GUP struck that fine balance between Keys and Guitar.

And i get you, i've had to study Nazi Germany in History this year and whereas you don't accept what Hitler did Germany had been through a bad period, and when anyone suffers like they did after WW1 and The depression they find a scapegoat and it just happened to be the Jewish people. in terms of how people let them do it, the whole thing about the bad times comes into play, but also, the rest couldn't afford to start a war with Germany, not again after only a few years.

Hmm, they economy suffered hugely during the 1920's inflation rocketed, but its no excuse at all for what happened. Anyway, lets just hope that nothing like this can ever happen again. Unfortunately here in England we have to put up with the BNP, who are to all intents and purposes, a British version of the nazis, eek this isn't a politics thread, so I'm going to stop here and disappear bolt.gif

Archived