129 replies to this topic

#21 ioc

ioc

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1246 posts
  • Interests:lutherie, recording, performing

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:52 AM

I don't smoke pot...it's just not my speed.

Sponsored Post

#22 skalamander2112

skalamander2112

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1245 posts
  • Interests:music, movies, and more music

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2011, 10:50 PM)
“See I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do, and if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cds and burn 'em. 'cause you know the musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years.... rrrrrrrrreal f**kin high on drugs.

Bill Hicks

yes.gif  

#23 Shredder2

Shredder2

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1020 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

Geddy said in the documentary that "We were probably high when we wrote that album [Caress of Steel]."

#24 The Big Money

The Big Money

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3284 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Jul 4 2011, 02:34 AM)
Geddy said in the documentary that "We were probably high when we wrote that album [Caress of Steel]."

If you can't remember if you were high, than you Were definitely high.

#25 drbirdsong

drbirdsong

Bubba Fett

• Members *
  • 4332 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

I am not a betting man, but I'll bet you my Rush collection they did a little (or a lot) of  cool10.gif

My friend told me that his friend told him that Geddy used to mainline heroin.  I don't know where that rumor came from and I never believed it.

If you want video proof of drug use watch the extra scenes on Beyond The Lighted Stage where they indulge in alcohol for about four hours. cosmo.gif  

#26 Freeze

Freeze

The Seeker

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

I`m pretty sure Neil writes in one of his books that Alex always visits the coffee shops whenever they are in Holland...  

#27 Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 3 2011, 11:10 PM)
Deep from a file marked "Duh" wink.gif

That interview from 1980 or so, an extra on the R30 DVD, is definitely an indication. If Alex isn't baked in that, I don't know a paper from a water pipe. You can tell that he is making a real effort to disappear into his chair; not talking or even looking at the camera... until he gets a mask on. We've all been there, feeling like you have a neon sign over your head announcing your condition to the world.... well, those of us who have  cool10.gif

Do they still? Maybe. But certainly never when there is business to take care of.

Without question!!!!!

I was thinking of this interview from the second I read the name of the thread.

They're all baked!!!

Here, look:

Then there is a an old picture taken from around the first record of the three guys in a bathroom stall, Neil is standing with his arm over the stall door and I'm convinced he was holding a joint in that pic. And there is another of them on a tour bus getting ready for a show from about the AFTK era and thy are all baked in that pic as well. (I have these pics but they are in storage so I can't get to them right now).

Also I had (sold it last year) an old Guitar player Magazine interview (with Paul Stanley on the cover) from about '76.  2.gif went to be interviewed by some high school kids and werer asked if they smoke weed and they answered yes.

So if they still do, who knows. If they did, hell yes.

#28 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 4 2011, 02:52 PM)

Coke?  pokey.gif  

#29 trenken

trenken

Ray Of Sunshine

• Members
  • 3703 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (g under p @ Jul 3 2011, 08:42 PM)
I would say YES, it was the thing to do in the 70's...a toke of some smoke cool10.gif was alright in my book. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them take a toke every now and then today.

As rabid as  2.gif fans are today the band could use some thing to get away from it all every once in a while. tongue.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Well yeah of course weed, Im sure they did that, but didnt word get out at some point years ago they were doing acid, LSD or something? Im pretty sure I read that and possible even one of them bringing it up in an interview many years ago. Might have done coke too, that was extremely popular in the 70s.

But yeah, Rush isnt squeeky clean like some believe for some reason. They drank a lot, Geddy admitted to playing some shows drunk, did drugs, never got in trouble and I guess never slept around, never trashed any hotel rooms to my knowledge, so they werent straight edge, but they werent completely out of control like motley crue for example.

Edited by trenken, 04 July 2011 - 07:08 AM.

#30 rollthebones1963

rollthebones1963

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

of course they did drugs! some of those lyrics from the 1970s had to be born from dropping acid,smoking pot,and drinking too much! 2.gif  laugh.gif  

#31 ioc

ioc

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1246 posts
  • Interests:lutherie, recording, performing

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 4 2011, 06:25 AM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 4 2011, 02:52 PM)

Coke?  pokey.gif

heehee.user posted image
See what I did there?

[okay, reality...none of the above]

#32 CutToTheBass

CutToTheBass

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

They all smoked ganja and Neil definitely dropped acid. As far as I'm concerned TFOL may well describe a psychedelic trip.
Don't believe everything they tell you kid, weed and psychedelics are the least of your worries ( cool10.gif ) in the world of psychoactive substances.

Edited by CutToTheBass, 04 July 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#33 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 9847 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

Like any other 70s Rock stars (or any era for that matter) you can pretty much garuntee they were whacked out of their tits most of the time.

#34 Dr.Zin

Dr.Zin

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jul 3 2011, 06:36 PM)
I hope not

But did they at any time in their career? cool10.gif

In Ghost Rider Neil says something along the lines of "disappearing into a little bag of white powder."

In Roadshow Neil mentions Alex visiting the Amsterdam coffee shops.

In Traveling Music Neil gives an account of his LSD experiences.

#35 IChoseFreeWill

IChoseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

I can imagine all those things in the lyrics and then some. The closest I have ever come to doing illegal drugs was when some guy in front of me at a concert started smoking a joint- he got arrested shortly afterwards.

Anyhow I do not think they did do much- or hard ones. Why? They would be in way worse shape. Look at what health nuts they are- exercising, eating healthy, quitting smoking tobacco, and so on.

I do not know what is legal in Canada vs. the US of A- we are VERY strict here, and medical cannabis is only allowed in a few states. But other than the Naples incident, apparently they have not been arrested. Nor do they seem to have suffered financially or otherwise.

#36 Ghostnotes

Ghostnotes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jul 3 2011, 09:06 PM)
+2 in regards to COS being pure epicness.

Of course they did drugs.  Plenty of caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, and if you consider it a drug, marijuana (less harfmul than the three previous ones mentioned).

goodpost.gif  

#37 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

Personally, I'm a coke addict.......pepsi doesn't cut it.

#38 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2011, 10:50 PM)
“See I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do, and if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cds and burn 'em. 'cause you know the musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years.... rrrrrrrrreal f**kin high on drugs.

Bill Hicks

HAHA...so true

I would say Rush was smoking the good stuff pretty consistently through the early 80's....hmmmm many fans "think" the quality went down from there

Most of the Pink Floyd classics were very clearly written with some influence

Led Zeppelin's drug use has been well chronicled

Even albums like Appetite for Destruction, Back in Black, Nevermind, etc most of the band members were high or drunk or both

Drugs spark creativity, it's a fact

#39 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 19664 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

I know that in Ghost Rider, Neil mentions a few miserable nights getting lost in a bag of 'white powder', so I'm sure it's not just limited to a little green (which really isn't even a real drug, imo).

#40 Rushchick10

Rushchick10

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3322 posts
  • Interests:Rush, endurance cycling, Rush, weightlifting, Rush, music, Geddy Lee, hiking, Rush...oh, you get the idea!

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Freeze @ Jul 4 2011, 05:09 AM)
I`m pretty sure Neil writes in one of his books that Alex always visits the coffee shops whenever they are in Holland...

He did...in Roadshow, BUT...it's Geddy, not Alex.   wink.gif

I have my doubts that they have ever done anything worse than smoke a little pot here and there.  I have an interview with Geddy in a magazine somewhere where he basically says that.  I've never been into smoking pot, but I know a lot of people who do...and they are still productive members of society, good people, good parents, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users