eggs is eggs...how do you like?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmm I love eggs just about any way you can cook 'em. But I especially love over-medium which is really difficult to get done right. The white has to be cooked but the yolk still mostly runny -- so I can sop my toast, dontcha know. But if the white isn't done I will send those babies right back! My Hubby has got it down to a science (he can even flip them in the pan) but I find that most restaurants can't get it right. And when I find one that can, I commit it to memory.

I also really love deviled eggs. We have them for every family get-together. Which reminds me of an anecdote... My Step-Uncle had recently re-married and he and his new wife were having a Christmas party at their new house. Very nice spread, decorations, drinks, etc. I grabbed a couple of deviled eggs -- Hubby and Mom did, too -- and took a bite..... HOLY CRAP! The vinegar... holy crap. So, my Mom and I cornered Mary (the new Step-Aunt) in the kitchen so as to discreetly mention this. She was shocked, "But the recipe said...." We didn't hear anything after that. Mom and I looked at each other and, if we'd had cartoon balloons over our heads, they would have read: RECIPE???!! This was when we found out that Mary, bless her heart, was not much of a cook... confused13.gif

Double post

angry.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 27 2011, 04:03 AM)
Mmmmm I love eggs just about any way you can cook 'em. But I especially love over-medium which is really difficult to get done right. The white has to be cooked but the yolk still mostly runny -- so I can sop my toast, dontcha know. But if the white isn't done I will send those babies right back! My Hubby has got it down to a science (he can even flip them in the pan) but I find that most restaurants can't get it right. And when I find one that can, I commit it to memory.

I also really love deviled eggs. We have them for every family get-together. Which reminds me of an anecdote... My Step-Uncle had recently re-married and he and his new wife were having a Christmas party at their new house. Very nice spread, decorations, drinks, etc. I grabbed a couple of deviled eggs -- Hubby and Mom did, too -- and took a bite..... HOLY CRAP! The vinegar... holy crap. So, my Mom and I cornered Mary (the new Step-Aunt) in the kitchen so as to discreetly mention this. She was shocked, "But the recipe said...." We didn't hear anything after that. Mom and I looked at each other and, if we'd had cartoon balloons over our heads, they would have read: RECIPE???!! This was when we found out that Mary, bless her heart, was not much of a cook... confused13.gif

I have a good trick to cooking them to over medium, that's how I like them too, without flipping them,(then you don't risk breaking the yolk).

Start frying like you usually would. Salt and pepper right away if you tend to use it. When the white part starts to cook (about 1/3 is cooked) pour about an ounce of cold water in the skillet (you don't want the eggs swimming, just want steam) and cover immediatley with a lid wait about 1-2 minues or so. (play with the time a few times and you'll get it down). Whites will be cooked completely and the yolk will be nice and warm and still runny. The top of the egg is also much softer as it hasn't been fried on the pan bottom.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2011, 09:05 AM)
Mara, you're prejudiced against eggs!

You'll hurt their feelings!

Good. Then they'll stay the hell away from me.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 27 2011, 08:55 AM)

Unless, that is, they decide to fight back.

user posted image

QUOTE (ioc @ Jun 27 2011, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 27 2011, 08:55 AM)

Unless, that is, they decide to fight back.

user posted image

Egg-xactly..(!) laugh.gif

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 26 2011, 08:27 AM)
Okay, I typically like either fried or scrambled.

Now, the way I cook fried eggs is that I heat a good chunk of butter in the pan. Once it starts to "sizzle" I break the egg and attempt to keep the yolk intact. I then add a good helping of salt and pepper on one side. Before it's completely white, I flip the egg to cook that side...again while keeping the yolk in tact.

I eat two fried eggs with hot buttered toast and sop up the yolk with it.

I always add in the salt pepper while it's cooking NEVER after the fact like you would do in restaurants.

With scrambled, I just mix up the eggs add salt and pepper and add to the frying pan with the melted butter.

I like deviled eggs, but it must have some kick to it.

I like boiled eggs but typically chopped up in a salad.

When is the last time you checked your cholesterol ? laugh.gif I only ask because i Used to eat like that , not anymore

http://www.mattazuma.com/images/2008/03/04/kuma_burger.jpg

applaudit.gif

I got this from Man vs Food

Hawaiian Dish

1. rice

2. Hamburgs

3. fried eggs

4. beef gravy

cook individually

make a pile of rice on your plate

put 2 hamburgers on the rice

put 2 fried eggs on the burgars

pour gravy over all!

mmmmmmmmm awesome!!!

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jun 27 2011, 01:11 PM)
Scrambled, deviled, hard boiled, fried, egg salad, quiche. As long as the yolk isn't runny, I can eat it smile.gif

Oddly enough, the yolk doesn't squick me out as much as the white. I don't LIKE it, but it doesn't give me the heebie-jeebies the way the white does.

It's the white that smells like 5-day-old farts. And it's the white that, when hard boiled, looks and feels eerily like sclera.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 27 2011, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jun 27 2011, 01:11 PM)
Scrambled, deviled, hard boiled, fried, egg salad, quiche.  As long as the yolk isn't runny, I can eat it  smile.gif

Oddly enough, the yolk doesn't squick me out as much as the white. I don't LIKE it, but it doesn't give me the heebie-jeebies the way the white does.

It's the white that smells like 5-day-old farts. And it's the white that, when hard boiled, looks and feels eerily like sclera.

Man! What happens to your farts that you can smell them 5 days later? http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/hoozieg/Smilies/Happy/handovermouth2.gif heeheehee!

wink.gif