Secret Touch

Pags

This one ranks as my fav from VT. Well - it ties with a couple of others, I think. I flipped out of my mind when they played it live on the VT tour and was just as rocked when they kept it in the playlist for R30.

I took this out of the very first post of the 'sounds in the songs' thread.

... at precisely 4:00, have your balance all the way on the Left channel. Awesome little slide sound from what I think is the guitar.

Check that part out. In fact, that whole middle section of the song is awesome to listen to with just left or right channel

What are your thoughts on this tune?

Not that I ever disliked the tune but initially I thought it was OK, then I found myself warming up to it. Now I like it much better.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 12 2005, 09:41 AM)
Not that I ever disliked the tune but initially I thought it was OK, then I found myself warming up to it. Now I like it much better.

Just OK, you say? JUST OK????

OK laugh.gif

Great song. Like circumstantial_tree says, the tune sounds better with time. That middle chunk of the album, from "The Stars Look Down" to "Earthshine," is my favorite part of Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 12 2005, 09:45 AM)

OK laugh.gif

I like Nocturne and Freeze better tongue.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 12 2005, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 12 2005, 09:45 AM)

OK laugh.gif

I like Nocturne and Freeze better tongue.gif

Me too tongue.gif

I listened to the clips available on the Atlantic website where you can download the Remastered VT for $0.99 per song. Trouble is you can only do this if in the US. The songs sound so different (a crisper sharper sound) in remastered format. I'm gonna get this. When's it due out, anyone?

I like this song. It is good.

For further in-depth analysis, please see my web site.

(Site details and URL coming soon!)

Quote from site:

"I really like this song. It is very good."

Notice the well placed adverbs, not available in the watered down TRF edition!

Seriously though, Secret Touch is one of my favorites, but it took the Live version to sell me on it.

It works, but at first listen, the melody of "Out of touch...." part (the verses) is hard to get a handle on because it's not very melodic. And Alex is just banging away on some jazz style chords during that part. I think it does a good job of building tension for "You can never break the chain.." but it is kind of noisy to get through at first.

If you survive all the musical "tension building" in this song the payoff is well worth it.

Freeze is also at the top of my list.

I agree with the point that it took some getting used to. ALL of VT did, mostly for the horrid sound of the mastering. However, Secret Touch always stood out as a strong song to me. It was one of the first ones that grabbed my attention. It only grew from there.

Now that I have the remasters to listen to.... not only ST, but the entire CD has just exploded. VT ranks amongst their best work on record, imo.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 12 2005, 11:05 AM)

I agree with the point that it took some getting used to. ALL of VT did, mostly for the horrid sound of the mastering. However, Secret Touch always stood out as a strong song to me. It was one of the first ones that grabbed my attention. It only grew from there.

Now that I have the remasters to listen to.... not only ST, but the entire CD has just exploded. VT ranks amongst their best work on record, imo.

You got VT remastered?

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 12 2005, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 12 2005, 11:05 AM)

I agree with the point that it took some getting used to.  ALL of VT did, mostly for the horrid sound of the mastering.  However, Secret Touch always stood out as a strong song to me.  It was one of the first ones that grabbed my attention.  It only grew from there.

Now that I have the remasters to listen to.... not only ST, but the entire CD has just exploded.  VT ranks amongst their best work on record, imo.

You got VT remastered?

I've got two different remastered versions. The MITA remaster that he spent hundreds of hours creating. And the Atlantic remaster. They are both AMAZING, and bring a whole new life to VT. It's good to be connected.... eh MSC? wink.gif

I'll never listen to the original again.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 12 2005, 11:20 AM)
I say we beat up Paganoman, due to his infatuation to "Secret Touch". scared.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

come get sum.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 12 2005, 11:15 AM)
Woooo, first post, hello all
bekloppt.gif

Secret Touch......Excellent song, one of the best on VT. I Love the bit where it suddenly turns heavy and Geddy's voice has some kind of cool effect on it. The starting Riff is also very intersting................and hard to play!

Welcome to TRF!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 12 2005, 04:22 PM)
I say we beat up Paganoman, due to his infatuation to "Secret Touch". scared.gif

come get sum.

Its a good job this isn't posted in the balking tackwards thread unsure.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ May 12 2005, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 12 2005, 04:22 PM)

come get sum.

Its a good job this isn't posted in the balking tackwards thread unsure.gif rofl3.gif

omg too funny laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 12 2005, 11:27 AM)
Thanks RushRevisited, finally a place where i can converse with other fans!

biggrin.gif

Yes!! Welcome to TRF. You've found a great place. I hope you stay around. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 12 2005, 11:31 AM)
Don't worry, i will, it's one of my new life aims to get one of those Solar Fedarist badges!

laugh.gif Those are courtesy of our graphics guru 1-0-0-1-0-0-1. I heard he will give them out before you even hit 2112 for a case of Miller Lite laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 12 2005, 10:15 AM)
Woooo, first post, hello all
bekloppt.gif

Secret Touch......Excellent song, one of the best on VT. I Love the bit where it suddenly turns heavy and Geddy's voice has some kind of cool effect on it. The starting Riff is also very intersting................and hard to play!

I have a question: Does Geddy's voice go through any effects processing or are we hearing his natural singing voice? On "Dog Years" it definitely sounds like his voice has been tampered with, and throughout much of Vapor Trails as well.

Archived