Favorite Deli Lunchmeat

Be specific as you can, meat, brand, flavor etc etc.

We've been buying Boars Head meats exclusively for the last few years.

I love their EverRoast chicken, and will also buy their Rotisserie chicken when it's onsale. They have a great medium rare roast beef, and their Tavern Ham is the best deli ham I have ever had.

When we want Italian, there's a place in downtown Milwaukee called Glorioso's. They have a great extra spicy cappicola, combined with their soppresatta or volpi, spicy pepperoni and some aged Provolone, you have one hell of a sandwich.

• Like 1

This is a sore subject with our family. Our favorite is Sahlen's turkey and ham. It is the best tasting we have ever had bar none and always buy it WHEN we can get it.

Now, enter our local idiot Kroger store who let Boar's Head monopolize their deli counter by only selling BH meats (which we like as well but is over priced IMO), and the Kroger brand (which sucks). Now, when we want Sahlen's we have to go elsewhere.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 13 2011, 03:10 PM)
This is a sore subject with our family. Our favorite is Sahlen's turkey and ham. It is the best tasting we have ever had bar none and always buy it WHEN we can get it.
Now, enter our local idiot Kroger store who let Boar's Head monopolize their deli counter by only selling BH meats (which we like as well but is over priced IMO), and the Kroger brand (which sucks). Now, when we want Sahlen's we have to go elsewhere.

I agree, Boar's Head is overpriced, but it is so good... and the fact it's not as bad as many of the other out there (like the oscar meyer prepackaged crap) makes it worth a little more to us.

Anything Boar's Head

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 13 2011, 05:04 PM)
Anything Boar's Head

Have you ever tried:

Boar's Head Bianco D'Oro Italian Dry Salame?

It was on special a few weeks ago, and we tried it. It was really good at first, but the aftertaste was too much, I really didn't care for it after a couple slices.

Stopped by the local Italian specialty store in Milwaukee this weekend.. Glorioso's

They have a sandwich called the "human torch"... man it was good. (I had them hold the muffaletta spread seeing don't like olives)

It came with calabrese salami, hot capocollo, provolone and a hot pepper spread. I had them add hot sopressata too.

Came home with the above listed meats and cheese plus some medium garlic genoa salami.

• Like 4

None of it tastes the same today as it once did. When I first came out here, I went from place to place in search of good lunch meat. Finally found an old German deli that had somewhat good stuff, but it still fell short of what I was used to.

There was a brand - Thuman's - that had delicious cold cuts - liverwurst, bologna, head cheese and ham.

Capocollo? They don't even know what that is out here. :LOL:

• Like 2

None of it tastes the same today as it once did. When I first came out here, I went from place to place in search of good lunch meat. Finally found an old German deli that had somewhat good stuff, but it still fell short of what I was used to.

There was a brand - Thuman's - that had delicious cold cuts - liverwurst, bologna, head cheese and ham.

Tony Soprano called it "gobba goo" :)

Tony Soprano called it "gobba goo" :)

He's right. That's how the Italians I knew pronounced it.

I like Boars Head roast beef. That's my favorite but it IS expensive. I remember my mom and dad buying what I thought was odd stuff when I was kid. Goose LIver, Ham and Cheese Loaf, Pimento Loaf...etc. Ick.

Good pastrami or Boar's Head buffalo chicken breast. Calabrese salami and hot capocollo like LIX said if we're getting fancy.

Even on a college budget, I won't stoop low enough to buy shit like bologna or non-beef hot dogs.

I like Boars Head roast beef. That's my favorite but it IS expensive. I remember my mom and dad buying what I thought was odd stuff when I was kid. Goose LIver, Ham and Cheese Loaf, Pimento Loaf...etc. Ick.

I just saw this and had to smile. My mom is still exactly the same way. When we are on vacation she will ask someone that's getting turkey breast to pick her up some Olive loaf, Dutch loaf, Ham and Cheese loaf or Braunschweiger. We are all like ???? - only grew up with chipped ham! (It is thinly sliced shredded baked or boiled ham. It used to be famous in one Pittsburgh dairy store, Isaly's, that has been gone for about 20 years. Chipped ham is still a Pittsburgh thing, I think. I love it and have to tell the deli here to slice Boar's Head ham realllllly thin.)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I just saw this and had to smile. My mom is still exactly the same way. When we are on vacation she will ask someone that's getting turkey breast to pick her up some Olive loaf, Dutch loaf, Ham and Cheese loaf or Braunschweiger. We are all like ???? - only grew up with chipped ham! (It is thinly sliced shredded baked or boiled ham. It used to be famous in one Pittsburgh dairy store, Isaly's, that has been gone for about 20 years. Chipped ham is still a Pittsburgh thing, I think. I love it and have to tell the deli here to slice Boar's Head ham realllllly thin.)

Isalys still makes their ham. It's sold in Giant Eagle now.

• Like 1

Try the Boars Head Rosemary Ham

Best Ham I have ever eaten

Pair it with some Havarti cheese very good indeed

• Like 2

Isalys still makes their ham. It's sold in Giant Eagle now.

That is good news! I will have to look for some the next time I am in Pittsburgh. Thanks, Eagle!

• Like 1