The official One Piece thread

An Enemy Without

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 10 2011, 05:44 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 8 2011, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (-Jane- @ Jun 8 2011, 02:00 PM)
The Manga?

Exactly smile.gif

care to elaborate?

It's a beautiful yet funny pirate story about never giving up your dream. It actually explores some interesting ideas such as government corruption, the very idea of justice, slavery, depression (in a way), and how those who are not siblings can have an even deeper bond than those who are. The main storyline will have you cheering for the protagonists and laughing at their antics while the backstories of the characters can leave you in tears. Surprisingly deep, for manga. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 14 2011, 02:08 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 13 2011, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 10 2011, 02:22 PM)
years back.

What volume did you stop at?

up to 14

volume 10 was my fave

Why'd you stop reading? They've gotten so good.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 14 2011, 08:44 AM)
years back.

up to 14

volume 10 was my fave

Lost interest, lost money.

It's a wild trip, I enjoyed it and read through the 14 volumes several times.. I also blindly stumbled into some chapters during my brief shonen jump subscription. I'll watch it online if I must, just need to find out where I left off exactly! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 14 2011, 06:31 PM)
years back.

up to 14

volume 10 was my fave

It's a wild trip, I enjoyed it and read through the 14 volumes several times.. I also blindly stumbled into some chapters during my brief shonen jump subscription. I'll watch it online if I must, just need to find out where I left off exactly! biggrin.gif

After reading the manga, I can't really enjoy watching the anime. The actions are too choppy, whereas in the books, you can imagine the characters flowing from movement to movement. Also, the english dubs apparently suck anyways.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 14 2011, 06:00 PM)
years back.

up to 14

volume 10 was my fave

After reading the manga, I can't really enjoy watching the anime. The actions are too choppy, whereas in the books, you can imagine the characters flowing from movement to movement. Also, the english dubs apparently suck anyways.

Yes, funamimation dubs it so it's garbage. Subs or bust.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 14 2011, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 14 2011, 06:00 PM)
years back.

up to 14

volume 10 was my fave

Yes, funamimation dubs it so it's garbage. Subs or bust.

Even with the subs, I find myself getting distracted by the spoken Japanese. tongue.gif

They talk so damn fast! I can't help it! laugh.gif

I don't know anything about One Piece but I'm going to cut in anyways and say

YES, SUBS ALL THE WAY.

Dubs make atrocities of the movies, 9/10 times. D: They leave out things, create stupid dialogue, mistranslate completely for the sake of matching up words to the lip movement, and sometimes change major parts of the storyline as a whole. The first time I saw a directly-translated-sub versus the English dub of a movie it was completely different and suddenly the movie wasn't dumb anymore; it was fantastic.

Not to mention the voice actors are often far superior... Come on, Dan Green can only do so many gigs.

Okay so there's my two cents. bolt.gif

I started reading it. (Pretty sure it's a fan translation, lol, but hey sometimes they're more accurate!) I'm to Chapter Three.

OMIGAWD THIS MANGA IS ADDICTING. |: But haha, thank you for sharing with me! I certainly am enjoying it! The expressions are very funny. laugh.gif I love it; great diversity of characters. Coby is adorable~

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 15 2011, 08:27 AM)
I started reading it. (Pretty sure it's a fan translation, lol, but hey sometimes they're more accurate!) I'm to Chapter Three.

OMIGAWD THIS MANGA IS ADDICTING. |: But haha, thank you for sharing with me! I certainly am enjoying it! The expressions are very funny. laugh.gif I love it; great diversity of characters. Coby is adorable~

He does tend to go a bit overboard with the expressions, but then again they all do that laugh.gif

And about the character diversity, it's part of what really made me enjoy reading. Once he gets a larger crew you begin to see some of the individual relationships and interactions between the characters, which I find kind of interesting.

Keep reading! I'm glad I could turn someone here onto One Piece smile.gif