rush on vinyl

vitalsigns66

All of my Rush was on vinyl until recently. I had cassettes of everything also. Embarrassingly, I also have a copy of 2112 on 8-track tape. CD is by far better quality, because it's digital. Vinyl scratches and breaks very easily. But, it's fun to go through my records every once in a while.

I was all vinyl up to Power Windows, cassettes for Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones and CDs from Counterparts on.

Last year, I began replacing the vinyl and cassettes with remastered CDs, and quite frankly, vinyl nostalgia be damned, the CDs sound waaaay better.

Better still, getting an iPod a year for my 40th means the entire collection is now on that, and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Sullysue - EIGHT TRACK TAPE ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

And I thought I was old.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ May 9 2005, 07:26 PM)
Better still, getting an iPod a year for my 40th means the entire collection is now on that, and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Theres nothing like a 2.gif dominated iPod 653.gif

It's what gets me through English Literature cool.gif

And on the vinyal front, I have all of the albums up to Permenant Waves. The CD's may have that edge, but I like nothing better than putting 2112 on, turning on my lava lamp and turning the volume up very very loud. Happy days yes.gif

I have vinyl from "Rush" through "Hold Your Fire". I started buying their CD's beginning with "A Show of Hands".

I think vinyl sounds better. I can still play "Analog Kid" on my vinyl copy of Signals and it sounds better than the CD version.

Listen to the Discovery bit of 2112,the water you hear in the background:on the original recording it sounds like proper water;on the cd reissue you know it's Alex messing about with his Roland Space Echo.

Apart from that,listen to Permanent Waves on cd and vinyl back to back-there's no bass on the cd in comparison.Black plastic for me every time comp26.gif old.gif

I was all vinyl up to Power Windows, cassettes for Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones and CDs from Counterparts on.

Last year, I began replacing the vinyl and cassettes with remastered CDs, and quite frankly, vinyl nostalgia be damned, the CDs sound waaaay better.

Sullysue - EIGHT TRACK TAPE ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

And I thought I was old.gif biggrin.gif

I was 12! Come on! old.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ May 10 2005, 12:23 PM)

Theres nothing like a 2.gif dominated iPod 653.gif

It's what gets me through English Literature cool.gif

And on the vinyal front, I have all of the albums up to Permenant Waves. The CD's may have that edge, but I like nothing better than putting 2112 on, turning on my lava lamp and turning the volume up very very loud. Happy days yes.gif

I love my Ipod - I have every Rush album plus 12 boots. 653.gif

As for vinyl I have everything up to Roll the Bones then I succumbed and bought a CD

I started the vinyl collection last summer, scouring the used record stores around town. I even bought duplicate copies as well (signals, esl, and moving pictures). I did buy a brand new copy of Feedback, still in plastic (don't have a turntable). I do it mostly for collecting purposes but have been thinking of getting a turntable to check out the sound. Still need to find the first album but have rest of 70's stuff (including Archives). In 80's just need Presto. No sign of the 90's albums yet or VT but will be searching on-line later this week. Anybody know if Different Stages is on vinyl? That would be a cool one to have. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 10 2005, 06:41 PM)
I started the vinyl collection last summer, scouring the used record stores around town. I even bought duplicate copies as well (signals, esl, and moving pictures). I did buy a brand new copy of Feedback, still in plastic (don't have a turntable). I do it mostly for collecting purposes but have been thinking of getting a turntable to check out the sound. Still need to find the first album but have rest of 70's stuff (including Archives). In 80's just need Presto. No sign of the 90's albums yet or VT but will be searching on-line later this week. Anybody know if Different Stages is on vinyl? That would be a cool one to have. biggrin.gif

Keep that Feedback in its plastic, T4VS. Won't be long before you won't be able find vinyl. I can see it's made somewhat of a "comeback," however. If Virgin Records has a section dedicated to it, things can't be too bad. And kudos to you for collecting them!

I have all of the Studio releases, live albums and the Archives 3 record set plus Feedback on vinyl. The only one I am missing to be complete is Counterparts. I have several duplicates ( 3 - 2112 for example) I don't have Chronicles or Different Stages on vinyl...don't know if they are available..Anybody? I have several times bid on a vinyl copy of 'Rush Through Time'. But, as of yet, unsuccessfully. I would buy that one just for the awesome concert photo on the cover. As far as what some have said about quality...maybe it's nostalgia talking , but some of the vinyl does sound better, but not all. Crazy? Probably..But as someone in here said about Signals particularly..It does sound better, deeper, something..

And I also have a 8 track of 2112. Just for the heck of it. I remember 8 tracks...loved 'em. They beat the hell out of cassettes, that's for sure.I never had any luck with cassettes in the car..Texas heat maybe? 8 tracks were no problem, however! Thank god for CD's is all I can say.

653.gif

I have a few...just getting my collection started...I have Caress, ATWAS, AFTK, Power Windows, Presto, and Feedback. I've played em a few times on my parents' turntable, but I'm thinking of getting my own this summer.

Was T4E ever released on vinyl? I've never even seen it on eBay or anything.

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ May 10 2005, 10:52 PM)
And I also have a 8 track of 2112. Just for the heck of it. I remember 8 tracks...loved 'em. They beat the hell out of cassettes, that's for sure.I never had any luck with cassettes in the car..Texas heat maybe? 8 tracks were no problem, however! Thank god for CD's is all I can say.

653.gif

Thank you for joining me in the embarrassment! laugh.gif Maybe 2112 on 8-track was only issued in Texas. 653.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 11 2005, 09:58 AM)
And I also have a 8 track of 2112. Just for the heck of it. I remember 8 tracks...loved 'em. They beat the hell out of cassettes, that's for sure.I never had any luck with cassettes in the car..Texas heat maybe? 8 tracks were no problem, however!  Thank god for CD's is all I can say.

653.gif

Thank you for joining me in the embarrassment! laugh.gif Maybe 2112 on 8-track was only issued in Texas. 653.gif

Sorry, Sue. I can't help you here. I bought my 8 track off E-bay from someone out of state for I think it was 25 cents plus a buck or two to ship (of course).

Just added it for my Rush collection.. Sad, I know..

I must clarify for the record. Someone asked the question on another thread about whether T4E was available on vinyl. I to date have not located it. So I stand corrected in my earlier post. I lack T4E AND Counterparts for my vinyl collection to be 100%. I guess all the time looking for T4E in the past on vinyl, I assumed the obvious...it's not out there. Anybody KNOW for sure?

I'd like to know...

Peace..

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ May 11 2005, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 11 2005, 09:58 AM)
And I also have a 8 track of 2112. Just for the heck of it. I remember 8 tracks...loved 'em. They beat the hell out of cassettes, that's for sure.I never had any luck with cassettes in the car..Texas heat maybe? 8 tracks were no problem, however!  Thank god for CD's is all I can say.

653.gif

Sorry, Sue. I can't help you here. I bought my 8 track off E-bay from someone out of state for I think it was 25 cents plus a buck or two to ship (of course).

Just added it for my Rush collection.. Sad, I know..

I was kidding! Gosh... What's worse is that my copy is actually a recording from vinyl to 8-track. Pretty scarry sound quality. scared.gif

I've got All the Worlds a Stage on vinyl. But there's a local record store where I live that's got like half the catalog at $7 each.

I have Counterparts on vinyl. It is a german import. I also have Rush through time... the pic on the front isn't that great, though- it's really grainy!

QUOTE (Bluefunk @ May 12 2005, 09:23 AM)
I have Counterparts on vinyl. It is a german import. I also have Rush through time... the pic on the front isn't that great, though- it's really grainy!

Too Bad..It looks killer when you see it on E-bay or whatnot. Thanks for the heads - up, though.

biggrin.gif

I have Rush (self titled), AFTK, Hemispheres, Moving Pics, Signals, and ESL all on Vinyl. It is a lot of fun listening to them the way they were originally, because i grew up in the cassette/cd era. But there is a big difference in the sound quality. Often when played loudly the cd's can really blow you away in a way that is foreign to a record player. I want to get all of Rush on vinyl that was before Power Windows; it just seems fitting as a true fan.

On a side note, one band that i think was meant to be heard on vinyl is Yes. i have close to the edge, fragile, and the yes album on vinyl and they are wonderful.

QUOTE (thetrees @ May 12 2005, 10:47 AM)
I have Rush (self titled), AFTK, Hemispheres, Moving Pics, Signals, and ESL all on Vinyl. It is a lot of fun listening to them the way they were originally, because i grew up in the cassette/cd era. But there is a big difference in the sound quality. Often when played loudly the cd's can really blow you away in a way that is foreign to a record player. I want to get all of Rush on vinyl that was before Power Windows; it just seems fitting as a true fan.

On a side note, one band that i think was meant to be heard on vinyl is Yes. i have close to the edge, fragile, and the yes album on vinyl and they are wonderful.

A YES fan...Cool! I agree..Yes is killer on vinyl...however if you listen to some of their stuff on CD it is obvious to me they are as exacting and demanding of their product as RUSH is..the production and sound quality is awesome! You hear so much more sometimes than you do on vinyl..unless of course you have A+ quality vinyl and a good turntable/system to play it on. It seems that while you can still buy turntables, you have to really look to find any kind of selection of real quality nowadays.A few titles that stand out on CD for me...RUSH Roll the Bones & Power Windows and although not that great a CD...YES's recent release ( recent being 1999 ) titled 'The Ladder' has simply great sound and production...and a few good tunes of the YES variety...nothing classic, though. Another YES note...one of my favorite all-time YES CD's is 'Drama' recorded without Jon Anderson.... go figure..

Nothing will ever come close to tunes like Close to the Edge, And You and I, Heart of the Sunrise & my favorite YES jam ...The Revealing Science of God from Tales of Topographic Oceans (which I own on CD and Vinyl - the album cover is so cool )

Anyway, I ramble..................

653.gif

QUOTE (Bluefunk @ May 12 2005, 09:23 AM)

I have bid on a few of those import 'Counterparts' LP's. Too rich for my lood..so far.. Persistence beats resistence though they say.....One day soon..

biggrin.gif

At a local flea market, I just recently found on vinyl:

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel (gatefold)

2112 (gatefold)

Exit...Stage Left (double lp - gatefold)

Signals

$1-$2 each.

I also got a near-mint copy of Moving Pictures back in January for 25 cents.

And I got my girlfriend a chewed-up gatefold copy of Hemispheres last year for 75 cents.

Vinyl is ALWAYS superior to plastic. Records have a clarity, depth, warmth, and resonance that is lost in the translation to CD. It is party to do with the grooves & vibrations of vinyl. Vinyl also produces deeper, richer bass.

If CDs sound better to you than vinyl, then you (#1) dont have a very good turntable, and/or (#2) you're probably conditioned to the sound of CDs.

Archived