X men: First Class

My daughter wanted to see this at the midnight premier so I saw it last night. All in all I thought it was pretty good. Definitely one of the best in the series. I'm not a comic book guy but I was wondering how close to the story line it was. Is the way Xavier gets paralyzed accurate? The reason I ask is because he wasn't in a wheelchair at the end of Wolverine and that would have been in 1979 (At 3 Mile Island) but that was after this movie (First Class) took place.

Well, it's a movie so they are going to make some changes to make a nice storyline from the comic. I don't know how Prof X is paralyzed in the comics, but I do know that in the first X-Men comic, it is Beast, Iceman, Angel (whose a dude, not a girl), Cyclops and Jean Gray who are the first class. This movie doesn't follow that storyline at all obviously, as it would make the previous movies make very little sense.

Having said that however, it was still a great movie. Whether or not it follows the comic storyline, it was very well written and acted, Magneto's character in particular.

I'm hoping they're gonna introduce an all-new character for the next film, one that never appeared in the comics. He's a hero who the press has dubbed a villain so he mostly works at night. This suits him though as his powers work that way anyway, in fact he belongs to the night and flies by night!

You and I know him from his many prog genius posts on the forum, yes I'm talking about THE OWL!

Our very own THE OWL will take over the next X-Men movie!! He's gonna bitchslap the Wolverine into oblivion!

laugh.gif

It was a good movie imo. My favorite part was when

(SPOILER)

They are recruiting mutants and they approach Wolverine, and he says, "F*ck Off." And they leave without saying a word. Thought it was hilarious!

didn't care for a couple of the secondary mutant characters - Not to original, seems of if they could have come up with some more interesting mutants even if it meant swaying a little from the storyline - some of them were bland and uninteresting to me -

But the main characters with the exception of Kevin Bacon 062802puke_prv.gif were spot on -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 13 2011, 05:26 AM)
didn't care for a couple of the secondary mutant characters - Not to original, seems of if they could have come up with some more interesting mutants even if it meant swaying a little from the storyline - some of them were bland and uninteresting to me -

But the main characters with the exception of Kevin Bacon 062802puke_prv.gif were spot on -

Don't know about that. From what I've read of Sebastian Shaw (from the classic Dark Phoenix saga), he was full of himself and had that power that was displayed in the film. The core of Shaw's character at least was there in the film version.

Did you have any problems with Alex Summers/Havoc? He seemed the furthest from the comic version. There were loads of changes in origins and whatnots. But all that STILL didn't matter because the movie was pretty damn good.

In the series, I'd put it right behind the great XMEN 2.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 23 2011, 11:23 AM)
My least favorite of the 5 X-Men movies. Well maybe X3 is worse. Doesn't hold a candle to the first 2.

Really? What was wrong with First Class?

I thought the Wolverine movie was horrible...the characters and dialogue seemed forced and some of the fight scenes were cheesy (Gambit). X3 was pretty damn bad too...they crammed in so many mutants in there that I was surprised that I didn't see treeduck or rushgoober in that film! And a lot of those characters really seemed out of character...they seemed merely in name and superpower.

X1 was pretty good but some of the fight scenes looked a bit cheap. Then again, their budget was probably really modest then.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 23 2011, 08:23 AM)
My least favorite of the 5 X-Men movies. Well maybe X3 is worse. Doesn't hold a candle to the first 2.

I thought the Wolverine movie was horrible...the characters and dialogue seemed forced and some of the fight scenes were cheesy (Gambit). X3 was pretty damn bad too...they crammed in so many mutants in there that I was surprised that I didn't see treeduck or rushgoober in that film! And a lot of those characters really seemed out of character...they seemed merely in name and superpower.

X1 was pretty good but some of the fight scenes looked a bit cheap. Then again, their budget was probably really modest then.

Other than the Wolverine cameo, X5 seemed a little too kid friendly. It was a fairly entertaining movie but they picked some bad characters. Banshee, Angel? Awful. There's a reason why Banshee was killed after what, 10 issues? The whole stripper stuff was cringeworthy. Did we really need to see the concentration camp stuff refilmed? I was restless by the end.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 24 2011, 09:39 AM)

Other than the Wolverine cameo, X5 seemed a little too kid friendly. It was a fairly entertaining movie but they picked some bad characters. Banshee, Angel? Awful. There's a reason why Banshee was killed after what, 10 issues? The whole stripper stuff was cringeworthy. Did we really need to see the concentration camp stuff refilmed? I was restless by the end.

Banshee killed after 10 issues? Did some major Marvel comics revisionist movement occur? He first appeared in the 60s (as a reluctant enemy of the original X-men) and was active AT LEAST until the 80s when I stopped collecting comics. I'm pretty sure he continued to appear well after that. In the late 70s/early 80s when the new XMEN (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus) formed, Banshee was the older guy and was often portrayed as the leader when Cyclops wasn't around. I don't like him that much but his history IS there near the beginning of the XMEN comic.

That Angel movie character I've never seen before. But yeah, she wasn't one of the star points of the film.

And as far as kid friendly, it might've had the most deaths of all the XMEN films so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that pov.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jun 4 2011, 02:53 AM)
Is the way Xavier gets paralyzed accurate? The reason I ask is because he wasn't in a wheelchair at the end of Wolverine and that would have been in 1979 (At 3 Mile Island) but that was after this movie (First Class) took place.

No. An alien paralyzed him.

I thought it wasn't actually the professor in the Wolverine movie but a mental projection (hence, he wasn't paralyzed). I refuse to watch that movie again to check. tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 23 2011, 11:49 PM)

Banshee killed after 10 issues? Did some major Marvel comics revisionist movement occur? He first appeared in the 60s (as a reluctant enemy of the original X-men) and was active AT LEAST until the 80s when I stopped collecting comics. I'm pretty sure he continued to appear well after that. In the late 70s/early 80s when the new XMEN (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus) formed, Banshee was the older guy and was often portrayed as the leader when Cyclops wasn't around. I don't like him that much but his history IS there near the beginning of the XMEN comic.

That Angel movie character I've never seen before. But yeah, she wasn't one of the star points of the film.

And as far as kid friendly, it might've had the most deaths of all the XMEN films so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that pov.

My bad. Who died after 10ish issues? Thunderbolt (was that the characters's name?)-- the aboriginal American?

Rewatched X-Men 1 and 2. Both are much better than XM5. Better acting and writing. RRStamos blows away whoever was Mystique in the new one. In fact the acting by all of the younger actors was uniformly mediocre and the characters they played didn't catch my interest.

Maybe I'm just too old for change. To me XM5 is comparable to taking characters from the original Star Trek and mixing them with ones from Next Generation.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 28 2011, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 23 2011, 11:49 PM)

My bad. Who died after 10ish issues? Thunderbolt (was that the characters's name?)-- the aboriginal American?

Rewatched X-Men 1 and 2. Both are much better than XM5. Better acting and writing. RRStamos blows away whoever was Mystique in the new one. In fact the acting by all of the younger actors was uniformly mediocre and the characters they played didn't catch my interest.

Maybe I'm just too old for change. To me XM5 is comparable to taking characters from the original Star Trek and mixing them with ones from Next Generation.

Ah, you're talking about Thunderbird.

Yeah, Stamos was better imho too but remember that's practically an entirely different character since it's a Mystique 40 years down the road from the XMEN:First Class Mystique. Of course she'd be different after 40 years of marauding with Magneto and the gang. The best actress on the planet might not have been able to make that young Mystique enjoyable to you.

Oh, I see what you mean by the Star Trek comparison. But it's a different animal in this case imho.

trink39.gif

I've just seen this one, it's pretty good...

Some of the actors lacked presence, Banshee for instance and Havoc. Overall though I was impressed, Magneto, Prof X were good and Kevin Bacon did a good job...

The hot chicks met with my approval too... wink.gif

I watched "X-Men: First Class", and I liked it.