London baby !!!!

hippy

Hey, as much as I'd like to say I've been seeing them since '83 (and possibly earlier), I didn't get in to Rush until '89, just AFTER Show Of Hands had been released sad.gif

However since then, I've been able to catch them every time they've been over and that continues tonight !!!!!

Can't wait, really looking forward to this one smile.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Hours to go cannot wait to see the boys again sadly this could be the last time they play in the UK lets hope not. I went to the Allentown gig last year absolutely brilliant especially hearing The Camera Eye again ,give them a big cheer tonight O2 when they play the London part of TCE.

See you all there and enjoy!

Just back from the gig at the O2 with my ears ringing. Great show really tight performance by the boys they seem to be getting better with age.

What was really evident tonight was the fact that Rush were smiling a lot and enjoying themselves . Stand out songs tonight were Spirit,Marathon,Camera eye,Witchunt,Closer and La Villa.

Hope everyone enjoyed the show its off too bed for me.

schla03.gif

Ok so just in from the London show and i have to RANT!!!

Good people of London if you buy tickets to see Rush ever again in your life but have never heard the band, don't know one word of one song, get upset by genuine fans who want to sing and dance and enjoy then please please please get your tickets at the back of the hall where you can all sit and do nothing all night together!

What a terrible audience you are! London you should be ashamed. From what can only be described as polite applause after certain songs to certain individuals in my row telling a guy who had come from Chile to see the band that he was in their space and all 3 of them having a go at him!

Never ever again should Rush play London. The prawn sandwich brigade have taken over!

Someone hit me if you ever see me mentioning going to another show in London! My predictions at the opening of this thread were so true!!!

Just got back as well.

Camera Eye was epic!! I've not heard a better version and by then the sound levels were spot on but the absolute highlight of the show for me was Neil's performance from start to finish. I had a very good view of him and he was improvising a lot of stuff that I've never heard him play before on any recorded tracks. He just looked so relaxed, in the groove and having fun that it was pure pleasure to watch. Even when he missed catching a high tossed stick, he batted it back over the kit and his own head without missing a beat!

The drum solo was just exceptional but it's not everyone's cup of tea so I won't go on about it.

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ May 26 2011, 12:06 AM)
Ok so just in from the London show and i have to RANT!!!
Good people of London if you buy tickets to see Rush ever again in your life but have never heard the band, don't know one word of one song, get upset by genuine fans who want to sing and dance and enjoy then please please please get your tickets at the back of the hall where you can all sit and do nothing all night together!
What a terrible audience you are! London you should be ashamed. From what can only be described as polite applause after certain songs to certain individuals in my row telling a guy who had come from Chile to see the band that he was in their space and all 3 of them having a go at him!
Never ever again should Rush play London. The prawn sandwich brigade have taken over!
Someone hit me if you ever see me mentioning going to another show in London! My predictions at the opening of this thread were so true!!!

I have to agree, the audience tonight was very err.....limp!?

Good on ya Shirley glad you enjoyed your first Rush show unfortunately you have nothing to compare that crowd to! Dublin, Glasgow anywhere other than London would be better to see the band! Treat yourself next time and get up north for a gig...they will show you jumping!!

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ May 26 2011, 12:37 AM)
Limp is being generous! Disgraceful is about the only word i can use without swearing!

I know and I can't understand why to be honest. I was in block 101 and no one was getting into to except 2 geezers behind me so I left my seat and joined them. But even they left before the end! Just one of those strange nights I suppose when it doesn't really click?

Oh, I will be treating myself to more than one next time! Will DEFINATELY be heading on "up north" to a show!

Oh, the thing that nearly ruined ot was a very tall gy in front of me, I'm kinda vertically challenged and it was a bit naff.

QUOTE (Shirley @ May 26 2011, 12:48 AM)
Could it have something to do with it being midweek or sommat? Or are LDN gigs always like this?

Shirley - I've seen a few London gigs and have seen Rush twice at Wembley and I have to agree with Scottishdood. I have no idea about WHY it's like that but the audience reaction is poor. Like he said, if you want to be part of an all consuming Rush experience come up to Glasgow, Newcastle or Dublin. The party starts early there and keeps on going biggrin.gif

I'm amazed! We are talking about the same show aren't we?

It may be because I'm comparing it with Birmingham, which had the poorest audience I've ever known anywhere for anything (but no, I've seen Rush 22 times so I know what it should be like), but I thought last nights audience was good. Everybody near us, and everybody I could see except the raised blocks stage right nearest to it, was up and jumping and very well into it.

The reaction to each song was certainly way beyond "polite", and everyone I saw appeared to be true fans.

Maybe what you pick up from the audience is more localised than we imagine, so its different in different parts of the hall, but for me it was up there with the best Rush gigs I've seen, with a great audience.

BTW, for me the set list was almost perfect, but of course they're so diverse that a set to please everyone is impossible.

I can't pick out highlights as the whole show was one, but if you forced me to I'd say Leave That Thing Alone; Geddy's playing on that was out of this world!

EDIT: @Ben vk, I've just had a look at the seating plan, and you were in the only blocks I could see that were sitting. We were in 110, diagonally opposite you, and it was rocking, as was every other block I could see. The only ones I couldn't see were the ones directly opposite you, the other side of the stage; what were they doing? What was the sound like where you were (it was very good for us)?

ANOTHER EDIT: I've just remembered: at one point when Geddy went stage right (YYZ I think), I saw him gesture to block 101 to get up, and about 3 guys did! So, he'd noticed it too!

Mark

Edited by MarkyWarky

QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ May 26 2011, 07:32 AM)
I'm amazed! We are talking about the same show aren't we?

Same here - where we were in block 112 everyone stood up and got into it - we had a fantastic time, and awesome view right by the stage on Geddy's side, and it was just an outstanding night from where we were.

But ...

We did notice that everyone on the far side (block 101???) remained sitting down throughout the show. So I guess we got lucky in that respect.

I pass my thanks to those in our block who got up and rocked out!

1022.gif

Morning!

The point you make MarkyWarky in your edit kinda vindicates me in that i have never ever seen Geddy or Alex have to motion to any section of a crowd before to get them on their feet! How does that feel for them up there working their socks off and having to see whole sections sat on their butts!

This apathy from London crowds wasn't just peculiar to last night!

At Thin Lizzy earlier this year i was in the circle at Hammersmith. The whole place was sat down except the stalls where it was rocking. When the chords of Rosalie rang out i stood up to show some appreciation but was met about 3 seconds later by some guy from 4 rows back tapping furiously on my shoulder telling me to sit down! These are Rock shows people if you don't do Rock go to the Opera where you can sit on your behind all night!

Maybe its something to do with the fact that most of us who follow these bands , and have done so for many years, are not as young as we once were !!!, I am quite happy to sit down and enjoy it as much as stand up and enjoy it.

What I dont get is, like last night at the O2, the American couple behind me, 8 rows from the front, who came to the UK to see the show and spent most of it talking/shouting at each other so loud i could here them above the band ???? Why ??? Why not fly half way round the world and stay in your hotel room and turn the TV up and talk to each other, and not disturb others ??? Just dont get it.

Edited by jesterhud

QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 26 2011, 08:52 AM)
We did notice that everyone on the far side (block 101???) remained sitting down throughout the show. So I guess we got lucky in that respect.

1022.gif

Yeah, I really don't know what was wrong with people in 101 where I was. I counted only about 6 of us there that were rocking out and one guy in a white t-shirt in block 102 who was really going for it. The other side of the hall were all standing.