London baby !!!!

hippy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon all.

Went to London gig last night and was as one would expect chuffed to see Rush at last (had to make do with 'Exit Stage Left' for the last 30 years!) Was sent on level 4 at the side and felt the sound was amongst the worst i had experienced in 30 years of going to concerts. Moved around to block 410 - roughly facing mid stage, for the second set. A bit of an improvement, but only a bit! I felt it was all very muddy sounding. The drums sounded somewhat 'boomy', lacking clarity. Hey i'm not expecting CD clarity but........

Any thoughts at all?

By the way did the band choose the music before coming on stage?

QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ May 26 2011, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (Scottishdood @ May 26 2011, 09:26 AM)
Morning!
The point you make MarkyWarky in your edit kinda vindicates me in that i have never ever seen Geddy or Alex have to motion to any section of a crowd before to get them on their feet! How does that feel for them up there working their socks off and having to see whole sections sat on their butts!
This apathy from London crowds wasn't just peculiar to last night!

Mornin"!!!

My point though was that it was only sections of the crowd, and then only a small section. The rest of us were rocking out as hard as any Northern audience (I'm from the North BTW, in case anyone thinks this is getting a little territorial!!).

Afternoon!

I don't think anyone is getting territorial at all ... maybe its the fact that Celts (and I include Geordies etc in that because they're practically Scottish tongue.gif wink.gif ) are more openly passionate and demonstrate that whereas the Southern audiences don't as much? Just a thought.

I can only go on seeing gigs all over and imo the audiences down South are not as demostrative as those further North. I guess we'll never agree on this point though laugh.gif

Main thing is that you lot who went and showed your appreciation had a kick ass time. trink39.gif

Oh wow .. I'm going to get flamed here I can feel it in my bones...

Where you guys at the same gig I was at ??? me an my buddies where up in 418 way up "there".

At the intermission we had unanimously decided to quit the gig n go home .. the sound was that poor.

We went an had words at the customer service desk and they agreed that there had been MANY complaints over the sound quality, so we sat out the remaining gig having moved to 415 which was a little better but not near the quality we'd expected.

I've NEVER been to "professional" gig where the sound quality was that poor.. seriously over based... to the point it sounded like a thrash band (yes that bad)

I get the feeling that the sound engineers had never checked the levels further up the O2.

That's maybe why there was a lack of engagement..

Overall .. great to see them playing having followed em for the better part of 30 years ..

But very dissapointed with the sound quality ..

I saw The Wall the previous week (from almost the same location) and there where no issues..

Glad to hear that some of you had the Gig we wished we had..

I think being up high is bad in these shed venues. We had very good sound at the front of block 110, only just above the stalls height.

Interesting to hear that The Wall was better. I struggle to believe that Rush, with all their professionalism, would tolerate poor sound if it were avoidable, but after hearing this and experiencing Birmingham, I'm worried that they've got something very wrong sad.gif

Edited by MarkyWarky

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 26 2011, 12:35 PM)
I can only go on seeing gigs all over and imo the audiences down South are not as demostrative as those further North. I guess we'll never agree on this point though  laugh.gif

Oh no, I agree with that, it's the idea that London audiences are inherently damp squibs that I can't agree with.

There's a difference between being "less demonstrative", and "just sitting there like a dead slug"!!

Now, is Birmingham in the North or the South, 'cause I've never seen worse than there on Sunday?

So, if I want to head North next tour, which is the best venue? I'm tempted by Glasgow.

Edited by MarkyWarky

Blocks 101 and 102 are the 02 VIP members areas. I was in 102, and it resembled Moss brothers window. There were suits and ties everywhere. Lots of people there for the event rather than the band maybe. In defence though, it wouldn't bother me who else was there, you make it your own thing. I was also at Birmingham in row 4, and while you are close to the action, being half way back is also pretty good as you appreciated the lighting, movies etc. and get a truer perspective of the show. In reality i had the best of both worlds.

Ref the set, the encores and instrumentals were epic. You will never please everyone, maybe we should start a poll on what album should feature in their next tour ??? There is a question and a half !!!

I was also at the Roger Waters Wall gig 2 weeks ago, and the sound there was terrific. Main reason i think is that Roger Waters main sound rig was in the middle of the hall and not at the end. Roger Waters also had 5.1 surroud sound i believe. It was pretty special. Have to say though last night, the Sound and indeed vision in Block 102 was pretty good. In Birmingham i was ringing in my ears for 48 hours having been so close to the speakers. We were sometimes up and sometimes down in our seat, depending what the suits around us were doing. From the side, it looked like everyone was having a pretty good time !

Roll on the new album and next years promotional tour, if it does come back to Europe. If i was a betting man, then it will stay over the Atlantic !

Our Lerxst (including designer slaphead) is just a true Genius isn't he ?

Wonder if there will be a DVD at some point ?

Edited by timbo

This isn't aimed at anyone here (I see some have posted photos!), but I get the feeling a lot of people are too busy looking at their camera/mobile phone screens to actually get involved. I know a guy who was in the front row last night and I looked over at him a couple of times and there he was, staring at his camera whilst Geddy worked his ass off in front of him. How can anyone really enjoy a gig like that? I mean, seriously, if I wanted to see the guys on screen I'd just stay at home and watch a dvd tongue.gif

But I get what people are saying - the two London shows on the last tour were awful for crowd reaction/atmosphere, and I can recall back as far as the Signals tour in 83 at Wembley being much the same. I count myself lucky to have seen the band oop north and on foreign shores, where the atmosphere has been electric and I was worried about that aspect last night.

Fortunately, I count myself lucky to have been among a bunch of people who wanted to stand up and enjoy themselves - and we did! trink39.gif

Edit: and crikey, I'm glad to be off 666 posts! laugh.gif

Edited by willowroolz

QUOTE (Loz @ May 26 2011, 05:30 AM)

By the way did the band choose the music before coming on stage?

Neil chooses the music that is played before the shows.

QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ May 26 2011, 11:43 AM)
@Jesterhud, I love your avatar - do you have a higher res version?

Mark

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/jesterhud/rush_girls.jpg

yes sir here is the best i got, please be careful they are all my sisters..

Wow, what a gig.

I traveled from Oz to see the gig, and I was enthralled by the entire show. It was everything I wanted, and thought it would be.

Those three worked there ass' off last night, and I was very thankful for it.

My rant though. I'm sorry, but London audiences are appalling. I went to Clapton also on Tues night and noticed the same thing - the masses of the prawn sandwich brigade.

For example, during Clapton, I saw people literally get up and out of there seats during a song to go and fetch a coffee and icecream? Seriously? What next, popcorn? I mean this is a bloody rock concert?

What was more disgraceful is that I have NEVER, EVER seen people leave before the encore, especially in the numbers that left last night - what the hell were these people thinking?

Thankfully I was on the floor, and it was going off - but stands right of stage were so lame, sitting down for most of the night.

Other than that, a very awesome gig, and I look forward to travelling round the world to see 2.gif again soon!

Edited by Ranger J

I wonder how much of it was down to the fact it was a worknight ?

The majority of people there would have done a days work, so maybe a little too knackered to rock away for 3 hours ?

As for people leaving early, i noticed it, but sympathise, depending where you live it can be tight getting out of London on the train late at night, I was caught out after seeing Bon Jovi at the O2 and was late getting back to Waterloo, which is only a few stops on the Jubilee line, missed the last train home.

QUOTE (jesterhud @ May 26 2011, 04:12 PM)
I wonder how much of it was down to the fact it was a worknight ?

The majority of people there would have done a days work, so maybe a little too knackered to rock away for 3 hours ?

As for people leaving early, i noticed it, but sympathise, depending where you live it can be tight getting out of London on the train late at night, I was caught out after seeing Bon Jovi at the O2 and was late getting back to Waterloo, which is only a few stops on the Jubilee line, missed the last train home.

Oooh... same location.... ohmy.gif

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but one block plus a few people who had to or chose to leave early (I noticed too, and didn't like it, but getting out of London CAN be a nightmare), does NOT make the whole audience bad, and certainly doesn't make London audiences in general shit.

A good 90% of the people there rocked out, and it was a great, if not "Northern style demonstrative" audience.

Clapton is far more mainstream than Rush, and far more likely to attract people out for a "pleasant evening", not to mention older.

Edited by MarkyWarky

QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ May 26 2011, 03:29 PM)
Sorry to keep banging on about this, but one block plus a few people who had to or chose to leave early (I noticed too, and didn't like it, but getting out of London CAN be a nightmare), does NOT make the whole audience bad, and certainly doesn't make London audiences in general shit.

A good 90% of the people there rocked out, and it was a great, if not "Northern style demonstrative" audience.

Well said. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ May 26 2011, 03:31 PM)
@Jesterhud, can I come to your house for Christmas please drool1.gif wub.gif drool1.gif

For stockings and stuffing wink.gif