Worthy of the Limelight?

Ease up little buddy. I guarantee no one is shunning you. This is just a seldom frequented subforum.

I envy that you get to go to the show next week. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Nice work on the skins BTW. Have you tried downloading the Guitar Hero multitracks for Moving Pictures. It is the best for playing along. I turn that on, mute out the guitar, and it feels like I'm jamming out with Ged and Neil.

Sometimes I'll also pan Alex to the left and my guitar to the right into some headphones so I can compare my playing in realtime.

I hear you man, it's just that it takes hours and hours setting up all the drums up to record and to the correct levels etc etc. I'm not looking for praise, just looking for acknowledgement that someone out there took 2 minutes out of their day to listen.

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 20 2011, 09:51 PM)
No one can be bothered to answer?

That really hurts...

This post came a little more than four hours after posting the song. Give it a chance, man! cool.gif

You did good with the drums. The performance is a little stiff and unpolished, but you have a pretty good handle on the song. Just needs a little more spit and shine. Keep it up!

QUOTE (ioc @ May 20 2011, 09:09 PM)
Ease up little buddy.  I guarantee no one is shunning you.  This is just a seldom frequented subforum. 

Even 73 only comes down here every other month or so just to wipe off the dust. tongue.gif

Great drumming. I couldnt hear the bass drum, but that might just be my phone.

Edited by An Enemy Without

Sorry for being an impatient arsehole! eh.gif

Thanks for the replies, glad some of you like it. Been playing for just over a year now and it's frustrating to even try an attempt a Rush song, never mind trying to master it.

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 07:00 PM)
Sorry for being an impatient arsehole! eh.gif

Thanks for the replies, glad some of you like it. Been playing for just over a year now and it's frustrating to even try an attempt a Rush song, never mind trying to master it.

You definitely did good considering you've been playing for only a year.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 23 2011, 08:18 PM)
It was good. Keep it up!

Now get working on 57/64 time signatures. I actually punched in this time sig a few days ago. lol

And I felt weird when I came up with a section (not in the song you heard part of) that included time sigs of 15/16 and 19/16. Those are like 4/4 compared to 57/64. laugh.gif

Actualy, posting this and my effort on the drums had nothing to do with displaying great skills and wanting adulation.

It was just my thanks to Rush and to Neil in the only way I know how and I thought maybe someone out there would get a kick out of it same as me.

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 08:25 PM)
Actualy, posting this and my effort on the drums had nothing to do with displaying great skills and wanting adulation.

It was just my thanks to Rush and to Neil in the only way I know how and I thought maybe someone out there would get a kick out of it same as me.

I would like to think it's also about getting honest feedback about your progress from like-minded musicians.

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 08:44 PM)
Think what you like!
What do you play? did you ask anyone's opinion of your progress?

When I first started playing guitar, the internet wasn't even a thought in somebody's head. laugh.gif But yeah, I'd play for my musician friends or my dad to get some feedback on how I was doing. I was in a band in my second year of playing so I got constant constructive criticism there.

What a strange forum.

I thought it's suppose to be a celebration of Rush music from people who love them and play their music to the best of their abilities, no matter what.

I didn't realise that it was full of half arsed music teachers trying to preach to others!

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 07:56 PM)
What a strange forum.

I thought it's suppose to be a celebration of Rush music from people who love them and play their music to the best of their abilities, no matter what.

I didn't realise that it was full of half arsed music teachers trying to preach to others!

All the world's indeed a stage

And we are merely... preachers?

Advocates and teachers

Each another's mentor in this delightful place.

Pretty good, eh?

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 24 2011, 12:48 AM)
Not bad - keep up the practice. Tempo was good for sure and defintely lighten up a tad will ya guy? RUSH is not an angry sport.

Oh you know what? this thread has got me all confused to hell!

I think I know who are the real drummers because they have given me good advice and I appreciate it.

But I didn't post this thread for advice, I get enough of that from my teacher and the vdrum forum!!

You all tell me to lighten up.

I have!

So, you guys lighten up!

Listen to my recording of Limelight.

It was supposed to make you feel happy and not that you all wanted to tell me what I was doing wrong for f*cks sake!

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 08:56 PM)
What a strange forum.

Wow, you really do need to lighten up a bit. First you get impatient because nobody responded after only four hours of starting this thread, and now this?

You've been playing for only a year, and people here have told you that you did a good job -- and because you've been playing for only a year, you've gotten some constructive criticism and encouragement as well. That's how this works when you put your playing out there for others to hear.

Let me ask you this: Do you want to be a great drummer someday? Do you LOVE playing the drums? Or are you not taking it that seriously?

Just realised that there's a million posts on this forum from guys playing drums to Limelight.

Sorry to have bothered you all.

I won't make the same misstake again.

Edited by Ben vk

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 08:05 PM)
It was supposed to make you feel happy and not that you all wanted to tell me what I was doing wrong for f*cks sake!

Nobody really did that... All we said was to lighten up (on both the drumming and the comments). You asked for acknowledgement that we listened, and we gave that to you in the form of advice. If you'd been playing for many years I could understand, but most of the time its helpful for (relative) beginners to be open-minded about their playing.

QUOTE (Ben vk @ May 23 2011, 09:11 PM)
Just realised that there's a million posts on this forum from guys playing drums to Limelight.

Sorry to have bothered you all.

"Limelight" is probably the most covered song by people like us. It's fun to play by all three instruments, it has that classic Rush vibe, and yet it's not the hardest Rush song to play (though it's not exactly easy either).

No reason why you shouldn't have added yours to the mix. All are welcome, whether you've been playing for a year, or 30. cool.gif