Best "Synth Era" Rush Song?

savagegrace26

Which is the best "Synth Era" song?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best "Synth Era" song?

• Subdivisions
    • The Analog Kid
    • Chemistry
    • Digital Man
    • The Weapon
    • New World Man
    • Losing It
    • Countdown
    • Distant Early Warning
    • Afterimage
    • Red Sector A
    • The Enemy Within
    • The Body Electric
    • Kid Gloves
    • Red Lenses
    • Between the Wheels
    • The Big Money
    • Grand Designs
    • Manhattan Project
    • Marathon
    • Territories
    • Middletown Dreams
    • Emotion Detector
    • Mystic Rhythms
    • Force Ten
    • Time Stand Still
    • Open Secrets
    • Second Nature
    • Prime Mover
    • Lock and Key
    • Mission
    • Turn the Page
    • Tai Shan
    • High Water

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 18 2011, 06:57 PM)
This is the "which kid is your favorite" list for me, but Marathon's my all-time-favorite Rush song, so that's my vote.

yes.gif

I love this period, too. But I had to vote for Prime Mover. It just makes me happy smile.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 18 2011, 01:40 PM)
One again I go with the obvious and popular choice - "Subdivisions". While there are other songs on this list I would listen to over "Subdivisions", I can't ignore the song's justified popularity. When it was released it was different and it was good. Classic and popular and challenging Rush music. Ya can't beat it, in my book.

What he said ^^^^

The synth era has to be my favorite era from them. Almost no songs from this era that I dislike.

As for my choice, it has to be Subdivisions. That songs speaks so much to me, plus, it's just musically brilliant. Damn near perfect, if not already perfect! Mission, Marathon, and Between the Wheels are all honorable mentions from me.

I said Subdivisions, not because it was my favorite song from the list, but because it was their best song at utilizing the keys.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 18 2011, 02:52 PM)
In my opinion, this list is much worse than the 1989- present poll which has a ton of masterpieces

This era is my personal "dark" period for Rush, as I really didn't like the synth era

Went with Subdivisions. Honorable mention to Kid Gloves

Its the dark era for the band too, they talked about it in the documentary. Signals is the point where people started jumping off the bandwagon after moving pictures. I dont even think too many people realize rush put out a single album after that.

They had a lot of casual fans before the synth era, all over the radio. After MP they were left with just their hardcore fans, but in general most people did not like them getting away from hard rock and doing what everyone else was doing in the 80s.

It was a toss up between Losing it, Subdivisions & Between the Wheels but I went with Subdivisions. Its just plain Awesome!

Question? Didn't the Keyboard Era really begin with MP? Don't you think?

There's an awfull lots of keyboards in there!

Tom Sawyer, The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, Vital Signs, YYZ(Middle)

The only songs that Truly don't have keyboards are Limelight and Red Barchetta!

think about it!

confused13.gif

For the record I LOVED the synth era to death! yes.gif wub.gif notworthy.gif

The only weak moments of the whole 1982-1987 era were the last two songs on HYF. Other than that, complete brilliance, and I've bitterly missed the synths ever since, but maybe that's just because the end of the synth era marked the end of consistent albums from Rush. Following the synth era would be albums of increasingly sporadic quality, and then increasingly sporadic quantity. It was a fantastic time to be a Rush fan. Sigh...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 20 2011, 09:28 PM)
For the record I LOVED the synth era to death! yes.gif wub.gif notworthy.gif

The only weak moments of the whole 1982-1987 era were the last two songs on HYF. Other than that, complete brilliance, and I've bitterly missed the synths ever since, but maybe that's just because the end of the synth era marked the end of consistent albums from Rush. Following the synth era would be albums of increasingly sporadic quality, and then increasingly sporadic quantity. It was a fantastic time to be a Rush fan. Sigh...

I forgot how much I liked Mission.. then they played it live again and.. wow...

I totally love the music from this period. Power Windows and HYF are the 2 best albums from this period and they both totally rock!! Signals and Grace Under Pressure are not bad either (not even close to bad!!!!) but they just don't match up with the 1st 2 I mentioned.

Despite my album preference going to Power Windows and HYF my song vote went, by a very close margin, to Subdivisions, with Time Stand Still coming in a VERY close 2nd. Its real hard to pick the songs after that since their are just so many good ones.

By the way, a tip of the hat to fonzbear2000 for picking the grossly underrated Tai Shan and having the guts to admit it. When I first saw the vote for Tai Shan my reaction was "Who voted for it? Did they have the guts to identify themselves and explain why?" Glad to see you did and I totally agree with your reasoning. Very underrated song with great vocals and I love the music. A lot of folks don't like it. While its not my favorite from this period I really enjoy it. Glad to know I am not the only one out their who likes it a lot.