Overall Music Sales

RushRevisited

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 18 2004, 03:37 PM)
think the "online" business has sales down?

As far as downloads, the editors note at the bottom of that shows that digital downloads are not included... I imagine their 2004 statistics will being to include this. Without it, the figures become not realistic..

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 18 2004, 03:43 PM)

As far as downloads, the editors note at the bottom of that shows that digital downloads are not included... I imagine their 2004 statistics will being to include this. Without it, the figures become not realistic..

I was thinking more of the "other" online business. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 18 2004, 03:53 PM)

Ahhh... smile.gif

Well, I believe Geddy said they knew of 400,000 copies of One Little Victory downloaded when the album came out (or maybe it as even before the album came out), which is sad... Rush is too good a of a band to pirate instead of purchasing their stuff sad.gif

I think that's why tickets are going up in price like they have been the last 3-4 years. They are making up for people who steal their songs instead of buying the CD's. Concert goers are paying for it. I might be wrong but isn't $75 a ticket a lot more than it was 4-5 years ago? I think it doubled since Test for Echo.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/96oct22_ticket.jpg

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/04aug11_ticket.jpg

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 18 2004, 05:27 PM)
I think that's why tickets are going up in price like they have been the last 3-4 years. They are making up for people who steal their songs instead of buying the CD's. Concert goers are paying for it. I might be wrong but isn't $75 a ticket a lot more than it was 4-5 years ago? I think it doubled since Test for Echo.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/96oct22_ticket.jpg

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/04aug11_ticket.jpg

Good point. As a fan I always want to support my favorite artists by purchasing the authorized recordings. I hadn't thought of the "unauthorized" copies driving up concert prices.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 18 2004, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 18 2004, 05:27 PM)

Good point. As a fan I always want to support my favorite artists by purchasing the authorized recordings. I hadn't thought of the "unauthorized" copies driving up concert prices.

I've heard that record companies now want a share of the concert proceeds because they feel they are not getting enough from CDs because of pirating. That would put ticket prices up even higher.

Let's watch DVD sales go down as more people get DVD burners...

Maybe its just me, but the price of cds over the last couple years has been on the rise as well. I remember about 5, 6 years ago going to a store and EXPECTING to find cds around $12-14, $20-24 for a double cd. Now, unless you know where to shop, you are going to have to fork out 17, 18, 19 dollars for most cds and over $30 for a double cd.

Maybe people wouldnt be so inclined to pirate music if they didnt feel that they were getting ripped off every time they go to a store. No offense, I love Rush, but I would NOT pay 19.99 for Hemispheres, which I have seen at many places before. I didnt buy Exit Stage Left or ATWAS as my last albums because I swore I wouldnt pay more then 15 for it, any more is just a rip off. I finally found a couple copies for around 13, but this is after years of searching many places.

I have a feeling if they made cd prices a little more reasonable, people would be more willing to pay for them. The RIAA are greedy bastards that just want to see the same rise in profits year after year.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 18 2004, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 18 2004, 03:53 PM)

Ahhh... smile.gif

Well, I believe Geddy said they knew of 400,000 copies of One Little Victory downloaded when the album came out (or maybe it as even before the album came out), which is sad... Rush is too good a of a band to pirate instead of purchasing their stuff sad.gif

I buy all their albums and stuff and still download tunes...to make my own compilations and for live stuff and unreleased stuff I have no problem downloading music...record companies been ripping off the common folks as well as the artists since day one....Bands make their dough off the concerts and merchandise...it should only be an issue if people download stuff and turn around and sell it...if people just download for personal use it's fine as far sa i'm concern...i just consider it personal "radio programming"...also it gave me a chance to sample music i'd otherwise wouldn't buy...i can honestly say i've bought at least 10 cds that i wouldn't have bought if i hadn't had a chance to listen to it first...there's pros and cons for everything

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 18 2004, 09:34 PM)
Maybe its just me, but the price of cds over the last couple years has been on the rise as well. I remember about 5, 6 years ago going to a store and EXPECTING to find cds around $12-14, $20-24 for a double cd. Now, unless you know where to shop, you are going to have to fork out 17, 18, 19 dollars for most cds and over $30 for a double cd.

Maybe people wouldnt be so inclined to pirate music if they didnt feel that they were getting ripped off every time they go to a store. No offense, I love Rush, but I would NOT pay 19.99 for Hemispheres, which I have seen at many places before. I didnt buy Exit Stage Left or ATWAS as my last albums because I swore I wouldnt pay more then 15 for it, any more is just a rip off. I finally found a couple copies for around 13, but this is after years of searching many places.

I have a feeling if they made cd prices a little more reasonable, people would be more willing to pay for them. The RIAA are greedy bastards that just want to see the same rise in profits year after year.

There was recently a movement by the record companies to drop pricing and get people back to buying CDs after a stiff drop in sales. However, they have to bow to retailers demands (Best Buy, Walmart, etc) - here is an article from last year on this that is kind of interesting:

Sticker Price Scrapped for Universal CDs

By Frank Ahrens

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, September 24, 2003; Page E01

Less than a month after Universal Music Group said it would try to lure music buyers back to stores by placing $12.98 stickers on most of its compact discs, the company acknowledged yesterday that it would not specify a price, bowing to pressure from major retailers such as Best Buy.

Instead, Universal Music -- the largest of the music industry's five big companies and home to acts such as Nelly and U2 -- will put stickers on CDs saying they are priced lower without stating a price, though Universal Music believes that retailers will price them near $13.

Retailers generally have applauded the move to lower CD prices but are concerned that profit margins would be excessively squeezed if they sell CDs for $12.98, even though Universal Music also is lowering its wholesale price to retailers.

The music industry in the past few years has suffered double-digit percentage declines in CD sales, which it blames on Internet music-file sharing through sites such as Morpheus and Kazaa. In an attempt to boost sales of CDs, often priced as high as $18, Universal Music launched its lower-priced CD plan, called JumpStart, on Sept. 3.

"While delivering a great value to the consumer is the primary goal behind JumpSTART, we believe that, at this time, the goal can be reached without including the MSRP [manufacturer's suggested retail price] in the sticker we plan to put on our product," reads a Sept. 17 letter from Universal Music and Video Distribution to retailers.

The $12.98 sticker was eliminated because of two factors, Universal Music sources said: Retailers balked at CDs arriving in their stores with price tags already on them, and Universal Music believed that it could not legally discuss lowering prices with retailers before the announcement -- meaning that objections were not heard until afterward.

The language of the new sticker is being debated within Universal Music, sources there said. It may say something like "Great Music, Great Price," or "Revolutionary New Price," the sources said.

Shortly after the Sept. 3 announcement, Universal Music sent a letter to its retailers, saying it would place the $12.98 sticker on most of its new CDs beginning around Oct. 1. In addition, the world's largest music company, which accounts for about 30 percent of all music sales, would lower its wholesale price to $9.09 per CD, from $12.02.

To get the lower wholesale prices, however, retailers had to commit to certain conditions by Sept. 19, such as giving the lower-price Universal Music CDs 27 percent of total store space or 33 percent of the space occupied by CDs from major labels.

Most retailers opposed the $12.98 sticker for a number of reasons. One was that if retailers put a higher sticker price on a CD that already has a $12.98 MSRP on it, the retailer could suffer from customer enmity. Other less-obvious objections were raised, said Universal sources, such as retailers saying they might be able to price such CDs for less than $12.98.

Universal's top three retail customers are Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target.

The big five music firms -- Universal, Warner Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, BMG Entertainment and EMI -- say they do not discuss pricing with retailers before such plans are implemented, to avoid the appearance of collusion. Last October, the five companies paid $143 million to settle a class-action lawsuit alleging CD price fixing in the 1990s, though the companies did not admit guilt.

Although some objected to receiving CDs with $12.98 stickers on them, almost all of Universal's top 30 retailers agreed to the company's shelf-space demands by the Sept. 19 deadline, company sources said.

I have seen a few of those stickers at various stores I have went to, Best Buy for one has always been very decent about having lower prices then most stores. It is the places like FYE, Walmart or Target that usually are the ones crying holy hell about having to lower prices. Every time I go there, I see the most limited selection possible, mostly all cds released in the last month and thats IT, and they are always around $19. I dont shop at those stores.

How many people believe the record industry these days?

I remember the old "Home Taping is Killing Music" message on album sleeves - I haven't seen Bono or Bruce Springsteen in the line at the soup kitchen recently!!.

I'll happily pay a reasonable amount to download off the net, but I've been screwed so often in record shops I have regular STD tests!!!!!!!!

This is what I do.....since I don't have the money to buy some CD's I download them.....listen to them...as soon as I get money, straight to the used music store for me.....then I delete them off the computer.....cuz well I just bought the CD!

I was in the used music store like a couple days ago....and I bought Test For Echo....really good! and I was like hmm wonder if there is something new.....cuz I like own the Rush section! I swear! I saw FTTK and it was for $21!!! I couldn't believe it! I was like no way.....no one is going to buy it anyways so i'll just wait till the price goes down. wow that was the story of the year eh'? lol laugh.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 20 2004, 01:27 AM)
Bono said it best - "It's not MP3s that will hurt record sales, it's crappy music.... as for me not making enough money? I'm already overpaid..."

Trust the Irishman to put it into perspective!!

(Many here would argue that makes a change for Bono)

This wonderful dip in the economy brought to you by the letter R.

Gee, a steady decline since 2000? No coincidence with what occurred in 2000.

Sorry to be political, but if you looked at numbers from many industries you would see the same trend.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 21 2004, 04:44 PM)
This wonderful dip in the economy brought to you by the letter R.

Gee, a steady decline since 2000? No coincidence with what occurred in 2000.

Sorry to be political, but if you looked at numbers from many industries you would see the same trend.

A very valid arguement.

Archived