Best/Favorite Bridge

tkotitan

Since most Rush songs follow a standard rock song pattern of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus (or something like that) I was wondering what people's fav bridges are from which songs. I've had a list building in my head so I'm wondering if anyone else has the same.

1 Driven - Different Stages. This has to be my favorite bridge, it's the moment I look forward to the most in the song. The wandering bass solo that shifts to a determined cadence reinforced by the drums working back in and the long dissonant guitar chord that's laid down on top of it just chilling. Then it all comes together into a heavy rock grove that you just don't want to end.

2 Secret Touch - The textured guitar reverb effect just sounds really amazing to me and is complemented superbly by the bass riff laid down over it. What I found interesting was that on the Rio DVD, geddy doesn't play that heavy riff, he must have broken too many strings on tour attempting it, or had other reproduction issues. When I saw them in Rochester, Geddy took center stage only to break a string and had to play out the rest of the song, man that sounded strange.

3 The Weapon - It took me a long time to appreciate this guitar-central bridge, but I truly admire the guitar playing in the face of the overlaid synth sound. The way it tops off with neil's drumming makes it high on my list.

Others - lyrically, Something for Nothing and The Enemy Within are some of my favorite bridges because of the straight-forward and determined meaning.

So that's mine, how about yours?

http://www.nireland.com/bridgeman/Golden%20Gate%20Br.jpg

oops.gif Wrong kind of bridge.........ahem!

Afterimage. Alex's solo is full of force and captures the essence of the song. Amazing. Everyone knows I love this album. cool.gif

Someone educate me. I don't know much about the mechanics of making music, (but I can listen with the best of them), and I need someone to tell me exactly what a bridge in music is. I think I have an idea; that it's the buildup to the guitar (or whatever instrument) solo. I need to know what it is because even though I don't know, I'm sure I have some favorites nonetheless. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ May 8 2005, 11:41 AM)
Someone educate me. I don't know much about the mechanics of making music, (but I can listen with the best of them), and I need someone to tell me exactly what a bridge in music is. I think I have an idea; that it's the buildup to the guitar (or whatever instrument) solo. I need to know what it is because even though I don't know, I'm sure I have some favorites nonetheless. tongue.gif

Example of a bridge:

"We don't want to be victims,

On that we all agree

So we lock up the killer instinct

And throw away the key"

Lock And Key

Someone correct me if I am wrong too.

My favorite bridge is in The Pass.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 8 2005, 12:03 PM)
Example of a bridge:

"We don't want to be victims,
On that we all agree
So we lock up the killer instinct
And throw away the key"

Lock And Key

Someone correct me if I am wrong too.

I just looked it up in Websters and it is defined as a musical passage linking two sections of a song. So your example may be correct but it brings up a couple more: Can there be more than one bridge in a song and can a guitar solo be considered the same thing? I'll get all the answers yet.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ May 4 2005, 08:19 AM)
http://www.nireland.com/bridgeman/Golden%20Gate%20Br.jpg

oops.gif Wrong kind of bridge.........ahem!

Afterimage. Alex's solo is full of force and captures the essence of the song. Amazing. Everyone knows I love this album. cool.gif

Love that one too, but the Bay Bridge is so much more practical. I hardly ever have the need to go to the North Bay, but am always over on the East Bay.

Archived