Best pasta

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 21 2011, 01:17 PM)
I like two very different types: angel hair and ziti.

goodpost.gif

Those are my 2 favorites too, depending on what I'm making. I also like shells or elbows for chili.

*Edit*

In fact, can anyone tell me the difference between penne, ziti and mostaccioli?

Depending on which brand you buy, they can all look the same, but the penne is always cut on an angle.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 21 2011, 03:17 PM)

Me too! Or rotini in place of ziti sometimes.

And do not bring me any of that whole grain shit either. Whole wheat pasta wrecks every dish you use it for, because that characteristic sharpish, "nutty" flavor doesn't work with the majority of pasta sauces. Save the whole grains for the bread.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 21 2011, 02:40 PM)

And do not bring me any of that whole grain shit either. Whole wheat pasta wrecks every dish you use it for, because that characteristic sharpish, "nutty" flavor doesn't work with the majority of pasta sauces. Save the whole grains for the bread.

applaudit.gif

Agree 110% with that whole wheat shit laugh.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 21 2011, 03:41 PM)

applaudit.gif

I whole heartedly agree as well. Wheat pasta basically tastes like shit.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 21 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 21 2011, 03:41 PM)

applaudit.gif

x4 - right? GBandR - my math is right... yes? smile.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 21 2011, 02:41 PM)

applaudit.gif

My wife tries to get me to eat that shit. sad.gif I don't care for it at all.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 21 2011, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 21 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 21 2011, 03:41 PM)

applaudit.gif

x4 - right? GBandR - my math is right... yes? smile.gif

Yup wink.gif

so from what I see on the web...

mostaccioli is smooth penne

penne is tubes cut at parallel angles with ridges (then why is there penne rigate??)

ziti is smooth rigatoni

rigatone is tubes cut perpendicular to the lines of the tube with ridges

I also love Cavatappi too. Great with pesto.

Depending on the recipe, thin spaghetti, penne, and egg noodles are the most often bought.

I love gnocchi, but I don't let myself have it often, because holy starch overload, Batman.

Barilla Plus Multigrain is my choice for that type of pasta. No difference in flavor, and the only difference in texture is that it takes overcooking for it not to be al dente.

Edited by 1 of the 7

I generally use fusilli and penne, but I really like linguini after having it once in a restaurant. Unfortunately I haven't seen it in any shops after that, whether fresh or dried. sad.gif

Depends...currently in the mood for some fettuccine with clam sauce. I make the sauce myself. This may be on the menu soon. Spaghetti if there are meatballs included. Ziti if there is sausage.

As a diabetic, I have to eat the whole wheat stuff. I don't mind it...I barely notice the difference.

My favorites are the thicker noodles, the mostacciolis, zitis, and pennes.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Apr 30 2011, 10:05 PM)
As a diabetic, I have to eat the whole wheat stuff. I don't mind it...I barely notice the difference.

My favorites are the thicker noodles, the mostacciolis, zitis, and pennes.

I notice the difference, but I like them both.

I find that it's not so much the type of pasta as it is what you put on it or in it. I love stuffed shells and manicotti when the are stuffed with ricotta cheese. :drool: Edited by ILSnwdog

Linguine with a nice and spicy white wine garlic sauce with seafood.

Get your pan really hot. Add olive oil until it's hot. Add red pepper flake. Add finely chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add a ton of minced garlic and cook for a minute or so. Deglaze with a dry white and cook down a bit. Add a nice chicken stock and boil down the wine some more. Add your seafood along with fresh lemon juice and fresh parsley and finish off with some real butter. Add the linguine that is a little more firm than al dente. When added to the sauce and finished. It will end up al dente. And if you want add cherry tomatoes cut in half and let them wilt just a little.

• Like 1

Get your pan really hot. Add olive oil until it's hot. Add red pepper flake. Add finely chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add a ton of minced garlic and cook for a minute or so. Deglaze with a dry white and cook down a bit. Add a nice chicken stock and boil down the wine some more. Add your seafood along with fresh lemon juice and fresh parsley and finish off with some real butter. Add the linguine that is a little more firm than al dente. When added to the sauce and finished. It will end up al dente. And if you want add cherry tomatoes cut in half and let them wilt just a little.

This with clams, and I'm in heaven.

This with clams, and I'm in heaven.

I've done it with clams. I've also done it with a combination of shrimp and scallops.