Hold Your Fire

invisibleairwaves

Wow there have been some good discussions on this board about this one. If you like reading some of the old stuff, then there's plenty here. I hope you do. There's some awesome stuff in here.

Hold Your Fire talks

More HYF talks

Let me also toast a new HYF fan!! trink38.gif This has always been an amazing one for me - and it's always great to hear of someone else who's getting into it.

I was an instant fan of it from the moment I heard it. Like you, I discovered it as part of their back catalog, and not as a newly awaited release. I know many folks (and I won't mention any names, Snowdog) who were not thrilled on that fateful day in 1987.

Mission and Turn The Page are two favs from it. Right up there are Open Secrets, and Prime Mover. But honestly, Tracks 1 - 10 are astounding. Not a bad note, imo.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Blast it, bro!!

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 3 2005, 03:41 PM)
I recently bought Hold Your Fire (better late than never) and am discovering that it is an amazing album. There seem to be some differences in opinion regarding this album, and of course, the Wal bass. Your thoughts on this album.

Geddy's use of bass cords rythmaticlly is the best in Rock I have ever heard done. Im sure there are some I haven't heard but so far in my book his arangments are aces! not to mention the grooves on this lp are different than anything Rush did in the surrounding lps. making it one of their most original lps in my opinion!

DrumDragon

Two things I have always enjoyed about it are Geddy's bass lines and the additional percussion effects.

I think Force Ten and Turn The Page have pretty cool bass lines. Heaven knows they must be difficult to play while singing those in concert.

I think Neil finally got to experiment with other different types of electronic percussion in this one. Maybe it was because of all the synth work that were done in the previous albums or the technology was finally solid enough to expand percussion capabilities. But just about every song, especially Tai Shan, has different and exotic percussion sound to it.

Hold Your Fire is an amazing album!! Both musically & lyrically. Geddy's bass lines are outstanding in every song on HYF. This album has helped me through some tough times & inspired & gave me confidence to do things in my life that I'm so glad I did.

2.gif FOREVER

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 3 2005, 07:36 PM)
What do you guys think of Lock And Key? It's one of my favorites, and the solo is amazing.

Lock And Key rocks my socks! Especially some of the drum stuff!

NeilFinal.gif

My HYF CD is not the Remastered version. Is it worth getting the remaster? Is there a marked difference in sound quality?

QUOTE (rickyrob @ May 4 2005, 08:35 AM)
My HYF CD is not the Remastered version. Is it worth getting the remaster? Is there a marked difference in sound quality?

Couldn't say, mine is the remaster, but it replaced a knackered cassette, so yes, definitely worth it biggrin.gif

I still reckon if I had to play someone one song that indicated what the essence of Rush is, it would be Prime Mover.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2005, 04:54 PM)
Wow there have been some good discussions on this board about this one.  If you like reading some of the old stuff, then there's plenty here.  I hope you do.  There's some awesome stuff in here.

Hold Your Fire talks

More HYF talks

Let me also toast a new HYF fan!!  trink38.gif This has always been an amazing one for me - and it's always great to hear of someone else who's getting into it.

I was an instant fan of it from the moment I heard it.  Like you, I discovered it as part of their back catalog, and not as a newly awaited release.  I know many folks (and I won't mention any names, Snowdog) who were not thrilled on that fateful day in 1987.

Mission and Turn The Page are two favs from it.  Right up there are Open Secrets, and Prime Mover.  But honestly, Tracks 1 - 10 are astounding.  Not a bad note, imo.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Blast it, bro!!

We can wear the rose of romance

Those who know me well know that I am the HYF queen. It is my absolute favorite album and Mission is, what I call my "theme song" for life. It gets a lot of critcism for being "softer', but I think the album has a great mixture of everything Rush. Starts off with Force Ten which is pretty intense and goes into tunes like Second Nature and Tai Shan and Turn the Page in the middle! -- just a great showcase of the broad spectrum of talent the band has to offer.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 4 2005, 12:37 PM)
Those who know me well know that I am the HYF queen. It is my absolute favorite album and Mission is, what I call my "theme song" for life. It gets a lot of critcism for being "softer', but I think the album has a great mixture of everything Rush. Starts off with Force Ten which is pretty intense and goes into tunes like Second Nature and Tai Shan and Turn the Page in the middle! -- just a great showcase of the broad spectrum of talent the band has to offer.

Mission is the same for me! I always wished the album version closed the same way as on ASOH, instead of the fade.

I love HYF and have done so since it came out (saying that, I can't really say that there's a Rush album I particularly dislike) but HYF is a special one for two reasons.

Firstly, it heralded their first UK tour since Signals in 1983.

Secondly, it was the second album I bought on CD (the first being Script by Marillion).

The high point - for me, its Open Secrets

I'm a big fan of HYF.

Slaine, I afternoon once embarked on the particularly misadvised venture of trying to record an ambient version of Open Secrets using the computer and a piano. I admit that before that the only part of the song that really got me was the obviously awsome fade out, but fooling around with the piece for a couple of hours just opened up to me how wonderfully constructed it is. It could do with a little more space in it, but that probably says more about my taste in music than the song...

Tha ambient piece never quite worked out, though I still habour a fantasy of making an acoustic ambient version of Rush's mid-80s slick arena rock album...I suspect that some dreams are best not realised.

Disco

Archived