2011 NHL Playoffs

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 19 2011, 04:25 AM)
Sorry Canuck fans but I thought this was pretty hilarious laugh.gif

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/CitoSatchel3008/thursdays-dar-411.jpg

Girlie-men. ( austrian accent )

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 19 2011, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 19 2011, 09:06 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQOQsLUW60...player_embedded

interesting. you wonder what he was thinking.

Nice statement written by some lawyer. Heard it too many times before, though. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 19 2011, 05:06 PM)

Can't believe the people who are writing this off as a one-time bad decision made in the heat of the moment, or saying that he's a good kid that just happened to get swept up in the mob mentality, or whatever. The destruction of the cop car happened well after the game ended; he had all that time to choose to leave the area and get out of the mob. He didn't.

I'm a 20-year-old male, precisely the demographic that is supposed to be the most susceptible to this sort of thing. If you believe some of the quacks who are spouting off about the psychology of mobs, I should have been completely incapable of rational thought at the time. And yet I still made the decision to get the hell out of there. Mob mentality may exist, but people still have the opportunity to decide for themselves whether they want to be a part of it or not. If they make the wrong choice, there has to be consequences for it.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 19 2011, 08:42 PM)

Can't believe the people who are writing this off as a one-time bad decision made in the heat of the moment, or saying that he's a good kid that just happened to get swept up in the mob mentality, or whatever. The destruction of the cop car happened well after the game ended; he had all that time to choose to leave the area and get out of the mob. He didn't.

I'm a 20-year-old male, precisely the demographic that is supposed to be the most susceptible to this sort of thing. If you believe some of the quacks who are spouting off about the psychology of mobs, I should have been completely incapable of rational thought at the time. And yet I still made the decision to get the hell out of there. Mob mentality may exist, but people still have the opportunity to decide for themselves whether they want to be a part of it or not. If they make the wrong choice, there has to be consequences for it.

goodpost.gif Those who stayed looking for blood would not be able to write something like that. That's why you left and others remained. trink39.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jun 19 2011, 05:47 PM)

goodpost.gif Those who stayed looking for blood would not be able to write something like that. That's why you left and others remained. trink39.gif

Yep. If you were there, you were there because you wanted to participate in a riot. You'd have to be comatose to not know what was going on at that point. Everyone knew it was happening, everyone knew it was going to happen, and if you stuck around, it's your own damn fault.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 19 2011, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jun 19 2011, 05:47 PM)

Yep. If you were there, you were there because you wanted to participate in a riot. You'd have to be comatose to not know what was going on at that point. Everyone knew it was happening, everyone knew it was going to happen, and if you stuck around, it's your own damn fault.

And how about all those guys staying around that mayhem with their girlfriends in tow. Complete idiocy. angry.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 17 2011, 06:49 AM)
Anyways, I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure there was a hockey game that night as well tongue.gif

Some thoughts:

Vancouver loves to blame Luongo and the Sedins any time something goes wrong, but it's unfair to blame the outcome of that game and series entirely on them. In Luongo's case, yes, he let in quite a few stinkers in the Canucks' losses. But you know what? In those four losses, the Canucks scored a grand total of three goals. You can't win hockey games when you get shut out, no matter how good the goaltending is on your end. The Bruins are proof of that: Tim Thomas had his share of bad games, and looked shaky at many points in the first three rounds. But the Bruins made up for that by getting goals of their own, and that's how they ended up with 6-5 victories instead of 5-0 losses. Blaming Luongo for losing the series makes about as much sense as blaming Tim Thomas for Boston's 1-0 losses. The goal support simply did not exist. People always talk about goaltenders giving their team a chance to win, but in this case the opposite happened.

Which brings me to the Sedins, who are the obvious target when lack of offense is at fault. But a look at recent Stanley Cup Final history puts that argument into perspective. Toews, Crosby, Datsyuk...none of them were able to produce in the SCF like they could in the regular season or earlier playoff rounds. The Finals are not kind to top-line scoring talent. Nobody should be surprised that the Sedins were unable to pour on the goals while facing a Norris-winning defenseman and a Vezina-winning record-setting goaltender. That said, they are usually far more defensively reliable than they were in Game 7. If they aren't going to score goals, they had better do their best to prevent them.

If there's one player who deserves serious criticism over his Finals performance, it's Ryan Kesler. His play at times appeared downright lazy, and in a series against a hot goaltender where net traffic was vital, he wasn't effective there. His secondary scoring is vital when the Sedins are shut down, as we saw in the Nashville series, and it completely evapourated against Boston.

Ehrhoff was downright terrible in game 7. He's up for free agency this summer. Before that game I was kind of hoping Keith Ballard would be traded in the offseason so that Ehrhoff could be re-signed, as Ehrhoff's play this season would have merited a huge raise. But now? I know it's unfair to write off a player based on one bad game, but when that bad game is in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, you have to be disappointed. This was the biggest game of his career, and he blew it. Of course, it's not just this game; he is a huge factor in the disappearance of Vancouver's blueline offense, and the Edler-Ehrhoff pairing was a liability at times before it was broken up. Completely unimpressive on his part, and it probably took his cap hit for next season down a peg, whether he resigns here or goes somewhere else.

On a happier note: Chris Tanev has been fantastic. Looking forward to seeing him as a regular in the lineup next season.

Nicely put.

Somehow, this Stanley Cup loss doesn't sting as badly as '94 for me personally.

Inspite of it, I'm still pround of my boys and the incredible season they gave us 'Nucks fans right down to the last day.

And good on the Bruins for bouncing back from their playoff disaster from last year.

For some reason, it never seems bad when an Original 6 team wins the Stanley Cup. Well, except for the Leafs, but that's likely never to happen again, not even if I live to be 1,000,000.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 21 2011, 07:24 PM)
The Bruins have been tearing it up in bars around New England. Including Tyler Seguin, whom, last I checked, was not old enough to be in those bars.

100 posts! common001.gif I enjoy reading your thoughts. Keep them coming! trink39.gif