Game of Thrones

Code Red

Have you heard or read any books by George RR Martin?

If not, you are in for a treat. George has been slated as the modern day Tolkien. His books are filled with detail in every respect. His characters are developing in ways that make your skin crawl, and he does this within a magic laced fantasy realm not driven by unrealistic stuff

The series is called 'A Song of Ice and Fire' it is currently 4 books in encyclopedic length, but every book has you on the edge of your seat. And there are twists and turns that take you by surprise....big time

If you are interested in some really amazing writing, read "A Game of Thrones",...'A Clash of Kings',...'A Storm of Swords', and 'A Feast for Crows', the next book being released on July 12 is 'A Dance with Dragons'

The TV series starts April 17th, have a glance, you wont be disappointed!!

I"ve never heard of this author, nor his books, but the subject matter sounded interesting. So I went to HBO on demand and checked out a "sneak preview" in high def. I think it's the opening 14 minutes of the series.

I was incredibly impressed... I'm recording the whole series.

QUOTE (Code Red @ Apr 7 2011, 03:05 AM)
Have you heard or read any books by George RR Martin?

If not, you are in for a treat. George has been slated as the modern day Tolkien. His books are filled with detail in every respect. His characters are developing in ways that make your skin crawl, and he does this within a magic laced fantasy realm not driven by unrealistic stuff

The series is called 'A Song of Ice and Fire' it is currently 4 books in encyclopedic length, but every book has you on the edge of your seat. And there are twists and turns that take you by surprise....big time

If you are interested in some really amazing writing, read "A Game of Thrones",...'A Clash of Kings',...'A Storm of Swords', and 'A Feast for Crows', the next book being released on July 12 is 'A Dance with Dragons'

The TV series starts April 17th, have a glance, you wont be disappointed!!

And he produced The Beatles!!!! wink.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 8 2011, 12:25 AM)
I"ve never heard of this author, nor his books, but the subject matter sounded interesting. So I went to HBO on demand and checked out a "sneak preview" in high def. I think it's the opening 14 minutes of the series.

I was incredibly impressed... I'm recording the whole series.

Do yourself a favor and read the books as well. As I recall from your previous posts, you are well read. I think you will really enjoy Martin's character development and attention to language.

I had never read or had much interest in the "fantasy" genre with the exception of Hobbit and LOTR, and the first book of the series, "A Game of Thrones"was given to me by a co-worker. I was amazed, the characters both male and female are ethically shades of gray. Chapters are divided by their individual points of view. Some characters you will love and some you will hate and your perception of them might not remain the same.

The setting has a medieval feel on a planet with very long seasons as in years and Winter is coming. There is very little magic, thank goodness. And the plots are unpredictable.

Oh well, I am really not that interested in writing a book review so I will stop rambling and just say that the series is fantastic and I hope Martin finishes it some day.

One more ramble... have snacks available because his descriptions of food are yummy lol

I've been a fan or Martin since before he started Fire and Ice. I was very impressed with the casting and production quality of the first episode of Game of Thrones. They mist be dumping a huge amount of money into it. I must admit knowing the horrible things that happens to some of these characters in subsequent chapters made watching them very difficult last night.

I decided to check it out last night and I really enjoyed it. I've always been a big Sean Bean fan.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 18 2011, 10:02 AM)
I decided to check it out last night and I really enjoyed it. I've always been a big Sean Bean fan.

Hey man, good to hear from you.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Don't get too attached to the characters, though. As you can see, Martin has no qualms about torturing and killing them. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Apr 18 2011, 10:55 AM)

Glad you enjoyed the show. Don't get too attached to the characters, though. As you can see, Martin has no qualms about torturing and killing them. unsure.gif

Understood! I admit I was shocked by the "tower incident".

It's good to see you too, sir! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 18 2011, 12:02 PM)

Spoilers people spoilers....some of us reading the books before we watch.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Apr 18 2011, 04:28 PM)

Those aren't spoilers as we didn't name any details. So relax and breathe easy.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 19 2011, 04:55 AM)

True....and really I don't care all that much...I'm not that thrilled with the book so far...I'm about 65 pages in (yeah....JUST 65 in over a week) and nothing has happened. My biggest criticism is that I've been introduced to about 100 characters, read about 200 names (many of which are very similar or similar looking) heard about 75 places mentioned, been informed of about 50 historical events and everyone seems miserable so far.

I know it will probably get better, and something has got to actually happen....I mean I've heard every family's history, and can fully describe every detail of almost all of the characters and places and castles and blah blah blah when's this thing gonna pick up?

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 19 2011, 01:01 PM)
How long was it? I'm very interested in watching this but may have to resort to 'online' methods of seeing it. I miss HBO

1hr 10mins incl breaks.....but only a couple of breaks. Might be more in the US.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Apr 19 2011, 05:15 AM)

True....and really I don't care all that much...I'm not that thrilled with the book so far...I'm about 65 pages in (yeah....JUST 65 in over a week) and nothing has happened. My biggest criticism is that I've been introduced to about 100 characters, read about 200 names (many of which are very similar or similar looking) heard about 75 places mentioned, been informed of about 50 historical events and everyone seems miserable so far.

I know it will probably get better, and something has got to actually happen....I mean I've heard every family's history, and can fully describe every detail of almost all of the characters and places and castles and blah blah blah when's this thing gonna pick up?

Nothing has happened. At least one of the major characters should have been been killed by now? There should have been rapes, murders and the like. Are you reading "Game of Thrones?"

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Apr 19 2011, 08:52 AM)

Nothing has happened. At least one of the major characters should have been been killed by now? There should have been rapes, murders and the like. Are you reading "Game of Thrones?"

Ohhhh....Silly me...I'm reading Gnome Of Thorns....hahaha...Of course I'm reading Game of Thrones and I think I just read the "tower incident" if it involves Bran. Which was a good chapter.

And as far as a major character dying...how major can a character be 65 pages in with the number of characters in the book...BTW wouldn't the info you divulged be a spoiler?

Things seem to be moving.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Apr 19 2011, 08:04 PM)

Ohhhh....Silly me...I'm reading Gnome Of Thorns....hahaha...Of course I'm reading Game of Thrones and I think I just read the "tower incident" if it involves Bran. Which was a good chapter.

And as far as a major character dying...how major can a character be 65 pages in with the number of characters in the book...BTW wouldn't the info you divulged be a spoiler?

Do you realize you just accused me of giving a spoiler while you were giving a spoiler?

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Apr 20 2011, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Apr 19 2011, 08:04 PM)

Do you realize you just accused me of giving a spoiler while you were giving a spoiler?

Of course I realized it... I realized as I was typing it last night...but I don't give crap really.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

4.2 Million viwers watched opening episode

HBO announced That Thrones will have a second season, aptly named 'A Clash of Kings'

The books are super long......Invisable Telescopic Eye stick with it, The story builds over time, patience is rewarded tho

I hope spoilers are posted,especially ones that never happen

for instance.....The dragon Eggs given to Daenarys at her wedding to Drogo, hatch little frodo sam and bilbo, but because they are the afterbirths, they are eaten , it is sad.

tongue.gif